This is what i wrote last year:
“for any GA people, some good spots to watch include: the exit of T2(good access to food and bar, lots of people though), Inside of T5 (only see the cars for a second, but they are very close and there is a superscreen directly opposite.. normally empty as well), the outside on the run to T6 (Cars go fast very quickly, about 2 metres away.. no superscreen and very far away from anything else though), T9 Hill (i sat here last year for qualifying.. good view, superscreen, there was an F1F meetup here as well), Inside of T11 – Brocky’s Hill (limited views of cars going through T11 & T12 and a superscreen.. very VERY busy though).
And thats about it.. theres lots of spots to watch, but you only get to see the cars for a second unless you have high up spots.
I could do with kangaroo TV (on their website it doesn’t say anything about going to Albert Park though?). The commentary at the track is average at best, but the coverage is good. I strongly suggest buying a pair of ear muffs and a radio, then feed an ear budd into the ear muffs and you can listen to the radio as your ears are protected (works a treat!)
Food is relatively expensive, and the merchandise costs a small fortune (ok, its not that bad). If you have nothing to do, have a walk around the whole track and check out all the vantage points, or cross the pontoon bridge to the support category pits, where you have close-up access to all the other race cars.”
and what I’ve learnt for 2012..
1. GS is 10x better than GA if you want to actually follow the race (rather than see flashes of cars)
2. GS is also great, since you get to see the Paddock entrance, and the back of some garages (I was simply in awe just getting a glimpse of the gates to get into the paddock!)
3. The Time of race is amazing.. Walking across the lake in the Orange 4:00 Glow with the Track, Palm Trees and City in the background has to be seen to be believed.
4. Add the Official AusGP Twitter Account and keep your phone on.. There are numerous Paddock tours and other goodies given away.
5. Find a Mate to watch the race with!
6. Brabham GS is great for action!