Going to the Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne

Where to stay near Albert Park?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Where are the best places to stay if you’re going to the Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park?

Silverkeg
    Participant

I am planning on going for the first time this year but don’t know anything about accommodation. Does anyone know anywhere that is relatively cheap. I am planning on going with a few friends and not sure where to stay.

Any help would be most welcome…thanks

Andy
    Participant

For the last 3 years I’ve stayed at the quest Windsor serviced apartments, and would highly recommend them. they’re situated right in between the track and busy chapel St, so it’s just a short walk to both – it makes it a great location for both the f1 and for going out to dinner or for drinks afterwards. They’re also used by a lot of the track marshals, if you’re lucky you can get some great stories out of them!

Silverkeg
    Participant

arghh…Just looked at it, It looked great but is Sold Out. Thankyou for the help, might look at that one earlier for next year.

damonsmedley
    Participant

How far away from the track do you want to be? I stayed at one in the CBD (which you’d think would be too far away) but all we had to do was walk out the front door, jump on the tram that stopped outside, and it took us right down to the circuit.

http://www.arrowonswanston.com.au/

It’s also pretty cheap.

McFosi
    Participant

The tram/train system is fantastic in Melbourne. We were in Berwick, some distance from the CBD and circuit, but a simple train and tram and we were there. Melbourne is realy easy to get around.

Jack
    Participant

(edit: also i didnt know each post posted on the main group so sorry about triple post :(

Dont know about the rest of you (im 19) but i found a great looking youth hotel called space hotel near the CBD prices start form $30 a night! (second edit: theyve bumped prices up to $54 for race weekend but i still think thats fairly cheap, considering location.

See for yourself: http://www.hostels.com/hosteldetails.php/HostelNumber.1944

Not to far from the tram stop i think, but dont take my word for it never been to australia yet….

Stretch
    Participant

@iceman1993

You’ll be fine for public transport from there, you will be able to catch the one tram on Swanston St (~200-300m walk from that place) south past Flinders St station to Albert park. There’s heaps of trams on that route every day and probably take around 20minutes to get to the track. It’s also easy to walk around the CBB of melbourne, everything is close.

shoemaker

At the minute, we’re looking at booking a Camper for the duration of our trip in Oz. Is there any good spots for street parking, or will we have to check into a campsite in the city somewhere?

Barry

ivz
    Participant

@Silverkeg we have been to Albert Park three times. Each time we seem to have left it later and later. My advise is next time book well before Christmas, that will help to ensure something closer to the track. We have stayed in St Kilda a couple of times, and its a great location. Only 10-15min walk to the track. There is also The Biz Motel, which is only 5min walk from the track (would need to book early, but we were lucky one year and got a small, PLAIN, room when we booked in Jan).
    Hope you find something, and really enjoy the F1! :)

Stretch
    Participant

@shoemaker I think you’ll be better off leaving you stuff at a caravan park near a station (or somewhere safe), catch a train to Flinders St and tram the last 1km to the GP. I’ll imagine you’ll have trouble finding a spot for your car without the camper around the side streets!

Here’s the circuit map that explains the public transport and also there’s no marked public parking on the map.

shoemaker

Thanks Stretch.

You from Melbourne?

Stretch
    Participant

@shoemaker Not quite, but I commute into Melbourne for uni. Regarding your other post about what to do in Melbourne, here’s a website that give you a few ideas, but firstly I reckon you should go on the City Circle tram, which is a free tour on a tram that loops the city and points out all the tourist stuff. Also, you might wanna check out the MCG, there’s a sport’s museum there that’s mainly cricket and AFL, but I also imagine the tours there would be good.

(This isn’t really on topic but anyway…) Out of Melbourne, there’s the Healesville Sanctuary, which is good for aussie animals, and around Healesville/Yarra Valley itself is a wine region. People also go to the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island, Phillip Island GP track is worth a look, it’s where MotoGP race in October. Then along the SE coast (the Gippsland region), Wilsons Promontory, Ninety-Mile Beach, Buchan caves. I haven’t yet done the coast up to Sydney and Brisbane but there’s heaps of beaches and stuff the whole way. Other suggestions, Canberra- parliament house, money mint, few museums; Blue Mountains national park east of Sydney is good to see and the Bathurst 1000 track further east of Sydney (a decent drive), it’s actually a public road and you can drive around it (albeit at a slow 60km/h). There’s also a motor racing museum there, mostly about V8s. These are just some places I’ve been, but there will be heaps of places to see along the way.

Oh yeah, if you’ve got time, say 3-4 weeks, Tasmania is worth it, well I was 7 when I went there but my parents loved it. There’s a ship/car ferry (that would take your car & camper) called the Spirit of Tasmania that takes a night (or day) departing from Melbourne to Tassie.

Here’s a quick Google map of the places above (and others can add to it): http://g.co/maps/vsnke

shoemaker

Thanks a Million for the info, a bit of reading to catch up on.

Barry

Stephen Jones
    Participant

@stretch wow, that google map is mega! should be a sticky on the AGP page!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.