Going to the Bahrain Grand Prix at Bahrain International Circuit

Will the 2012 Bahrain Grand Prix go ahead?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author

After the cancellation of the 2011 race and the ongoing problems in Bahrain, it’s likely questions will arise over whether the 2012 race will go ahead.

At the time of writing the race is six months away, and a lot could change in that time, which is why this thread has been created to keep an eye on developments around the race.

W-K
    Participant
    W-K
    Participant

BBC Video – Bahrain poised for human rights report

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15360914

S.J.M
    Participant

As long as there is no chance of having a repeat of this year, F1 doesnt need its name dragged through the mud or used as a symbol for any political divide.

sbl on tour
    Participant

bahrain, – tow it out and sink it, oh, take that little twerp bernie out too!

BasCB
    Participant

Still not anywhere close to a state most of us would consider normal – About the military courts dealing with cases – http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2011/10/20111016145759140585.html
    And Bahrain officals keeps bullying those that have negative stories as well as distorting statements by the likes of Amnesty International and the UN commissions to make it look as if these report positively.
    Also critisizing the opposition political party and putting blame on them for talks promised in Februari not getting going (hard to talk with tanks on the streets).

I really do not feel there is much real chance of Bahrain actually staging the race next year. Its in high danger of getting the middlepoint of protests and crack downs again.

Icthyes
    Participant

It will go ahead unless there are mass protests again like last year. People are executed in China every day but F1 still goes.

BasCB
    Participant

@icthyes, those massive protests are pretty likely to occur though. With no real solutions in sight, what is there to bar the majority to take the GP as focus for protests next year, save a pre-emptive heavy handed crackdown on them before that happens?

I’ve never cared much for this track. I’d take Istanbul over this any day.

Shame that F1 never really took off in Turkey.

Scribe
    Participant

Probably but it shouldn’t. They’ve got the money Bernie wants the money, we know how that goes. Hopefully, it gets cancelled early and we go to Turkey.

Really enjoyed starting in Australia this year, back where it belongs.

Ned Flanders
    Participant

Obviously, there are lots of countries on the F1 calendar with dodgy human rights records. But only in Bahrain do I really get the feeling the race is really intertwined with the fortunes of the entire country. Hosting the GP will give the regime there a huge boost, and that can only be a bad thing

Younger Hamii
    Participant

Honestly,I agree with @Scribe,Australia is a true successful season opener,On the other hand Bahrain is as dead as a horse IMO.So i dont believe people would have any sympathy for the Bahrain Government & organisers,who’s has over 10 Months – 1 Year to resolve the Country’s issues.

Slr
    Participant

With the current situation ,if it is convenient for the teams to go, I think they will go. If mass protests breakout then maybe it will be cancelled.

The Edge
    Participant

Until reading this post I was of the opinion that F! should not go to Bahrain on the principle of the human rights violations but right now I’m just beginning to change my mind. It was often written earlier in the year that the Bahraini Regime cracked down so hard on the protesters because they wanted the GP to go ahead and I’m pretty sure the protesters were planning to target the event and disrupt it some how.

By having F1 in Bahrain it could well send out a message to the world saying ‘look at us, how mighty we are with our race, how wonderful everything is here’… but I’m beginning to think not.

Little has been herd on main stream media about the country’s woe’s compared to the likes of Libya and Egypt and and surely if F1 returned to Bahrain it would provide the platform to the worlds media the protesters so desperately need to get their voice’s herd by the world. which without, they might just fade into the distance and be forgotten about with the likes of Yemen and Sudan

would it not therefore actually be sad if F1 did not return to Bahrain in 2012?

W-K
    Participant

An article on Rula al-Saffar, a medical professor, whose appeal is on Sunday 23 Oct, in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/21/bahraini-medic-save-lives-danger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.