Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of AndrewTanner

Going to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

Public Group active 2 days, 3 hours ago

Group for fans going to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps.

Going to the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

This topic contains 51 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Ben Needham Ben Needham 1 day, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hey guys, this year will be my first time in the Belgium GP and I was wondering, is it possible to buy the tickets like a day before friday(august 22nd) at spa? Or I have the risk that the tickets will sell out?
    Either way, buying them online or at spa, I’ll probably get the bronze ones…

Im going with my partner, can anyone recommend a not so expensive B&B? I dont mind a bit of travelling though. My partner has stayed in Verviers a few years ago but the one she stayed in is already fully booked.

cheers!

Stu Meech
    Participant

Hi all.

Quick question about the Belgium Grand Prix – what is the earliest you could get back to a ferry port from the track after race day on the Sunday? Allowing for traffic etc. We’ll probably be staying at the l’eau rouge campsite.

My lovely girlfriend has bought us tickets for my 30th Birthday, but I have to be back in London for work on Monday so trying to work out the logistics. As we are camping etc, we have to drive over there so flights are out.

Unless I fly back from Brussels after the race – currently £45 on the 7.30ish Easyjet flight to Gatwick.

Cheers.

Stu

poletopole
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been to Spa twice in 09 and last year So my view for Alik and Stu Meech.

Tickets – Both years the ticket booths outside La Source entrance were selling tickets right through the weekend (including thursday). Obviously the most popular stands sell out but Bronze GA tickets always seem to be available. I don’t think Spa gets close to a sell out these days but someone else may be able to confirm.

Traffic – Traffic was similar both times I went, bad around the track then a good run before more delays at the tunnel terminal. Depends how much of a rush you want, last year we had a quick walk on the track then back to take down the tent, i think we got on the road about 5.30 and were back over at Calais about 10.30 (no comfort stops) but then got on a train around 1am local time due to the queues. Even if you rush away at end of race I would allow a minimum of 5 – 6 hours for what is I think about a 3.5 hour run on clear roads. I used the tunnel both times and they were so swamped they were just ignoring times booked and just loading up the trains and getting people away as quick (slow?) as possible. Getting back for Monday work is very do-able, just have a good supply of Red Bull and coffee waiting. Well worth the effort though.

Stu Meech
    Participant

That is most useful, Poletopole, thanks. We’ll book a late letunnel and just see what happens!

Jim Barrett
    Participant

Hello,after only 100 emails, snail mail, and an email to the belgian embassy,I now have my tickets.woo hoo!(after4 months). But, my next question is, are the seats any good?
    My wife and I are in Block B, row 15 seats 28 and 27 in silver 4, Bruxelles.ANY info about this area would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim Barrett.

justin
    Participant

x

justin
    Participant

pair of tickets for friday only,,, gold 10 at eau rouge,,,, front row,,,, i cant make it for friday so offered for sale,,, i have them at hand,,, 100 pounds for the pair

Jack Stow
    Participant

Does anyone know if there is a difference between ‘Bronze Area’ & ‘Zone Bronze’? Also, does the weekend ticket include the Sunday coach travel? The website isn’t clear – http://www.spagrandprix.com/en/pages/tribune-bronze.aspx

PorscheF1
    Participant

For a good B&B don’t only look in Belgium. I once stayed on the border of the Netherlands. Cheap and she even made breakfast ready to go so you can still be on track at 6.

I recommend buying tickets up front. Nothing like security and not having to wait for hours (sometimes).

Myself and friends are for the first time in a long time not going this year. We’re all getting into this phase of our lives where we have to look after money and selling a €500 weekend to the ladies isn’t that easy anymore. In the end the race is on TV and with some better planning there are plenty of cheaper races to attend. Hockenheim or Monza are half the price and you can even link a city trip to Milan to the last one.

I can recommend sitting at Pouhon (bronze). Really shows the power of a F1 car especially if you’ve seen the Porsches go down the corner earlier in the weekend. Gp3 and GP2 races are also fun to watch there as these guys on occasion try something here.

Why not Eau Rouge I hear you thinking, you have to see a F1 car go up there for sure. But in my opinion end of Kemmel or Pouhon are the best places to watch the race from, followed by the busstop chicane. FP1 and FP2 are times to spot some Eau Rouge action. If you go with a large group of people and one wants to be the hero you can put your seats at Pouhon or Kemmel (hero can sit and wait) and watch the start at Eau Rouge.

Anyway, to all coming to our magnificent circuit, have fun!

PorscheF1
    Participant

@poletopole Traffic, ugh. A disaster at Spa for sure. There is no reason to run off the track to your car and leave you’ll be stuck either way. Just enjoy the track have a last beer and hamburger. Take another last walk around the track, maybe even on track and then go home.

@Stu Driving to Zaventem or Charleroi will be hard aswell. Traffic is a nightmare. Maybe you should stay for a few more hours and when it clears up drive a little into the night.

It is not worth it leaving at lap 40 or so.

Daryl
    Participant

Hi all – a question and a suggestion…

Question:
    This’ll be my first visit to Spa, and my (slightly reluctant) wife’s first GP experience. We have general admission tickets for Sunday. All comments I’ve read say get there early and bag a spot but I’m sure we’ll want to walk around and take in the sights. If we left it until an hour or two before race time to find somewhere to watch what will our options look like? E.g. can we stand at the back of the Pouhon hill?

Suggestion:
    I’ve seen comments saying GPS and data are patchy in the area. For those driving I’d suggest saving the area on Google Maps for offline use beforehand. Can’t believe the signage is bad but have seen comments saying driving the last few miles is confusing.

mark adams
    Participant

Daryl you will find a spot at pouhon but the best one will already been taken, kemmel straight and bus stop are also good spots.

i never had problems with gps but the organiser advise you to turn off the gps and follow the signs

http://www.spagrandprix.com/modules/pages/app_themes/default/images/itinary.pdf

magon4
    Participant

What are the best spots at the Kimmel straight (besides the very end) and what time should I be there to find a good spot, on racing day?

Gary Allcock
    Participant

Hi all,
    GP virgin here and I’ve picked Spa as my first time as a mini break/holiday with my girlfriend.

We’ve got GOLD 8 tickets at La Source for the full 3 days and are camping less than 10mins walk from the entrance here as well.

If anyone has any hints, suggestions and guides on what we can expect (or even any links to helpful sites) that would be marvellous.
    We’re coaching it from UK to camp-site and should arrive on Thursday evening.
    How much money should we be looking at for the weekend spend?
    Are there any particular places where we can get sustinence locally rather than in the track?

I’d love to walk the track at some point too, so how would we go about doing this?
    Can you walk around the track inside the site or do you have to walk around outside the complex?

So many questions to ask!!!
    I’m sure our fellow coach travellers and campsite lodgers will be able to help us with many more questions, but if any can offer a few snippets of info on here, that would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
    Gary

Ben Needham
    Participant

Hi @Gazo76,

I can offer a few words of advice! Where abouts are you camping? Is it the L’Eau Rouge site? If it is, then it’s perfect, you have nothing to worry about there! Clean, friendly and an odd sense of buzz despite there being enough quiet for some sleep!

One thing you will have already been aware of is the weather. It will rain. No one knows when, no one knows where, but it definitely will! Take an umbrella! Not sure if you’ll manage it on the coach, but we took a tarpaulin which we sat on and flipped over our heads when it did rain. Stayed bone dry!

In terms of money – it depends what you’re doing. We went into Malmedy and Stavelot every night and ate out… for this for three/four nights you’re probably looking at 100euros each to eat really well… we’re talking top steaks! Though of course, if you’d prefer to have a quiet BBQ each night or chips or something you’re probably looking at 20euros per person. There’s a good little shop in Malmedy with good prices (pretty much the Belgian equivalent of the Co-op!).

Walking around the track is only do-able after each day’s action. We managed to do the pit area, old bus stop chicane etc on the Thursday afternoon, then on Sunday after the race managed to do almost the entire remainder of the circuit. Everyone jumps over the fence after the race… it just happens and is great fun, if you can physically do it… it’s quite high.

Most of all – just have a great time! Enjoy being there… I’m very jealous as I loved Spa – though I’m going to Monza instead this year!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.