Going to the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

Going to the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Are you going to the 2016 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps? Join or start a discussion below and swap notes with other people who are going to this race.

You can also find more discussion threads about going to the Belgian Grand Prix.

Si Timo
    Participant

Yes I’m going. I went last year for the 1st time and I’m going back this year only this time we have GA tickets and not seats in a stand.

Anscombes
    Participant

Yep going to this one too. Did GA several years ago but I was exhausted as its such a long and hilly track, trying to find best spot, carrying chairs, booze, food etc was a real mission. Have got grandstand tickets this time round. Camping in Stavelot too so really looking for to it

Keijzer
    Participant

Of course we will go again, camping green from Wednesday till Sunday afternoon.
    Not sure about GA or Silver 4 (last year I did Silver 4 but the view isn’t the best to be honest).

hopefully the weather will be like 2015 (no rain in 4 days @Spa was the first time for me and I go to Spa F1 since 2008).

We will see, for sure we will bring enough draft beer and BBQ meat to survive the weekend!!

PorscheF1
    Participant

Going to Spa some 7 times this year but not for Formula One. Maybe last minute I might but it seems 2016 will be the first in a few years without a GP.

Amanda Ross
    Participant

Just decided to go again for the 3rd time in a row. I will fly over and my husband and his mate will pick me up at airport in the car that will be packed to the ceiling with camping stuff. I did the drive once and vowed never again, Edinburgh to Spa is a bit of a trek. We will be staying at Camping L’eau Rouge again, great wee campsite and the shuttle bus is so handy. We get GA and sat at the Busstop on race day last year but had to use a tree to balance against to stop tumbling down the hillside, not for the faint hearted but great view of the cars. Can’t wait for this year.

Jos
    Participant

Going again this year for my 2nd visit, last year being the first. GA again this year and whilst I enjoyed the Bus Stop last year, I’ll be heading for either Kemmel or Poulon for the race this year.

Staying at the Elephant again and booked for an extra day too.

Si Timo
    Participant

Gutted, I booked my camp site with Camping F1 as last year they was just up the hill form the Elephant campsite. Now they have just informed me they have moved their camp to right down south of the circuit miles away from anything. I sent them a moaning email and they emailed me straight back saying a cheque is in the post and my reservation with them is cancelled with them. Managed to book with the Elephant so staying there again.

Paul Barron
    Participant

Received my tickets today, 2 weekend tickets sitting at Eau Rouge in Gold 3. Anyone else received theirs?

I was wondering if there is anyone out there with 2 tickets in Gold 6 or Gold 8 that might like to swap for a session? I would suggest for P2 and we could swap tickets for the Friday in between P1 and P2. Send me a private message on this forum if you’re interested.

Charly
    Participant

My partner and I are going for the first time this year. We’re staying in a place called Coo about 4 miles from Stavelot. We’re really looking forward to it although we’re not driving so I’m secretly having a panic attack about how we’re going to get to the track and back. Detailed information about the weekend seems hard to come by. We’ll be in GA and hopefully we’re prepared!

Adam Medley
    Participant

Heading back for the 2nd year running, General Admission and staying at the Elephant again.

Decided this year to extend the trip by a day and visit the Nurburgring on Monday – It’s closed though :(

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to spend a Monday in the area, anywhere within a 2 hour radius will be fine.

Thanks!

Helena Clarke
    Participant

Hi All,

We are travelling to Spa via National Holidays, I just wondered if anyone else has travelled with them before and also does anyone know of the entertainment after racing, bands etc? as we don’t have an Itinerary yet, all I can find on-line is the entertainment for campers in set sites.

Thank you, Helena and Aaron

Lotec
    Participant

First time to Spa (or any F1 for that matter) this year. The wife and I are camping via CampingF1, and have GA tickets for the weekend. I’m super excited!

A few questions if anybody is able to help:

1. Is it possible to drive out of the area at night to go find dinner somewhere nearby? Or are the roads clogged/closed with the F1 circus?
    2. What are your recommendations for GA spots?
    3. Will we be okay to bring our own beer/wine? Or is the circuit it tightly controlled?
    4. Does anybody sell bags of ice at the track?
    5. Are there any opportunities to walk on the track as a spectator? We arrive on thursday afternoon, and I’d love to get a pic standing on Eau Rouge
    6. Is there anything as a newbie I should know that isn’t immediately obvious??

Thanks in advance :)

-Cam

spoutnik
    Participant

Dear Cameron @lotec,

Please find some answers to your questions below:

1. It is clogged up until the nearby highway and then it’s fairly ok. Count about half an hour. But the most clogged will be on Sunday morning and evening. Much less the other days. Your best bet would be Verviers city at the north or Stavelot and Trois-Ponts south west.

2. Good GA spots. The ones I know are the inside of Bruxelles, Pouhon and Kemmel straight. I’ve heard that the Bus stop chicane is also good. My preferred is still Pouhon. Come early, 8h local time max to have a good spot and stick to it. Bruxelles is great but the giant screens are not very well positioned for GA. Come early in any case, there will be a lot of people.
    There are three entry areas, choose wisely. For Kemmel, Bruxelles or Pouhon, you’ll want to come in by the green area with its entrance at les combes.

3. What’s for sure is that you can’t bring glass bottles. Last year we brought beer cans, water plastic bottles and food of our own in a refrigerated bag so no worries.
    In any case the beer is not that expensive, nor is the food actually.

4. I haven’t seen that but who knows? Maybe in the campings? I never camped there as I live not very far but maybe.

5. Yes, but only at the end of the race. It’s a pretty busy weekend so the track is restricted area. Last year we were in the grandstands before the raidillon and we walked all the way up to les combes on the circuit and then got out there. Not sure about La Source access with GA. I think it’s full of grandstands between the chicane and the straight after Eau Rouge unfortunately so you won’t see anything and it’s a restricted access to grandstand tickets.

6. Obvious things. It’s hilly, very hilly. take at least hiking shoes, chances of mud are high. I suggest you to buy some waterproof ponchos and portable stools, to be able to eat your sandwiches under your poncho, sitting on your stool and under possible heavy rain. Look after the giant screens to find your spot, you’ll want it. Don’t leave your spot, it will be taken in a matter of minutes, come early, and most of all, enjoy!

TimTheBoss
    Participant

Going again for the 3rd time, staying @ Elephant and we will race you for the best spot on the Kemmel straight ;) Anybody have experience with DVB-T reception? I’m thinking to hook a DVB-T antenna adaptor to my iPad in order to watch the race live on the RTBF channel LADEUX which is the only Belgian free option to watch it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.