Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone

Public Group active 2 weeks, 6 days ago

Group for fans going to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

Going to the 2013 British Grand Prix at Silverstone

This topic contains 140 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Misty Misty 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 136 through 141 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Alex green
    Participant

Got to give credit, silverstone is actually improving apart from the ticket prices which are terrible,hopefully the spare seats in the stands will be a wake up call,walked in the house at half 9 ,pretty good when you consider im just north of edinburgh

Me
    Participant

I was lucky enough to be at this weekends F1. I was sat at Copse corner. It was my first F1 and I read that I needed to be there early. I arrived at 7am and drove straight into the car park. The facilities were brilliant, really enjoyed the race and looking forward to next year already :-)

I’d love to see other peoples photos of the day? Unfortunately I’ve only got a poxy iPhone so the car were like dots on the track. Thanks

Misty
    Participant

The spectacle and atmosphere were brilliant. Got to see some great racing from Woodcote and Club.

But my fears about having to fight to get a grandstand seat somewhere okay if we didn’t turn up at 9am turned out to be well founded. We had to hike half-way around the track to find some free seats, and then they were obscured. Even on Friday. I won’t be back, or at least I won’t be buying a three day ticket, until they provide allocated seating on the Saturday at least. When you outlay 800 pounds for two class 2 seats, you kind of hope you can actually get a seat!

Sunday was awesome though.

Alex green
    Participant

@misty shame to hear

sozavele
    Participant

@goingthedistance They have change the format of tickets next year. If you buy the best tickets (I think it is a Platinum ticket) you have a reserved seat on the Saturday, not sure about Friday.

Misty
    Participant

@sozavele That’s good to hear, though I wonder how much Platinum tickets will cost? I think Club Silverstone tickets gave you a guaranteed seat all weekend this year? They were sold out by the time we made up our minds to go.

I think the reason it’s an issue is that compared to a lot of other races I’ve been to the crowds are still very big on Fridays and Saturdays. This year the crowd stats were 80,000 on Friday, 94,000 on Saturday and 120,000 on Sunday.

If you’re going to be that full then chances are people are really going to have to hunt out a decent seat if they don’t arrive at the crack of dawn, so why not sell a lot more tickets that guarantee a seat on Saturday and Sunday? The answer is that most people want to roam, but as the event is now so popular it really is a system that rewards the early bird.

Personally I’m a big fan of the Monaco system. Buy a different seat for each day, or a seat for the whole weekend, or just Saturday and Sunday. It’s very flexible. When we went in 2011 you could just rock up on the Thursday and choose your grandstand (most were empty) and we booked two separate spots for the Saturday and Sunday. You can choose your actual seats online as well.

Anyway I know this sounds like a bit of an epic whinge. It really is a great circuit, and the event for the most part was well run this year. I just don’t understand why you are forced to buy roaming tickets for the Saturday when every other race I’ve been to doesn’t make this choice for you…especially given the popularity of the Friday and Saturday sessions compared to other circuits and the consequent difficulty getting a seat.

Viewing 6 posts - 136 through 141 (of 141 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.