Going to the Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring

Going to the 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Are you going to the 2016 Hungarian Grand Prix at Hungaroring? Join or start a discussion below and swap notes with other people who are going to this race.

You can also find more discussion threads about going to the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Mick
    Participant

Hi,

My son and I are driving to Hungary for the race in 2016 and staying in Budapest city on the Pest side. We are sitting in Silver 4 on the last corner at the track.

Any tips, advice or comments would be helpful. Especially concerning the drive. Have driven through France to Spain and Belgium before but never through Germany, Austria or Hungary. As no street view is available in Germany or Austria can’t see what service stations are like.Do most places to stop provide a rest area /food.

david
    Participant

Flying to this year’s Hungarian GP with my 8 year old son – first race for both of us. I booked tickets in Gold 4 – the corner at the end of the main straight.
    Still haven’t booked the airline tickets and accommodation. Any tips regarding the most convenient central area to stay in regard to the public transport would be welcome.

Atticus
    Participant

@burras First of all, you’ve probably chosen the best stand to watch the race from – Gold 4 is the place to be when it comes to wheel-to-wheel action, it’s right above the first corner and the view of that piece of tarmac is superb. As for accommodation, just be sure to stay close to either metro line 3 (blue, north-south, see Google Maps, Transit layer on) or metro line 2 (red, west-east). Taking to the track, a lot of sites recommend taking suburban railway H8, accessible from the Eastern end of metro line 2, but you’re in for a roughly 35-40-minute walk to the circuit after you’re off of that one, so I would say taking the special bus line from Árpád híd station to Mogyoród is a better idea. (It’s “just” a 15-20-minute walk.) Budapest usually launches them just for the weekend. You can find them at the Árpád híd station of metro line 3. (Check back here before the weekend though, just to be sure the option is there this year as well. Somebody will be here to answer you.)

@mick61
    Germany is very much like France or Spain motorway-wise (smooth roads and many full-fledged stops), but Austria and Hungary are a bit different. In Austria, the roads are often a bit bumpy, particularly in the mountain regions, and proper rest areas are a bit more scarce, whereas in Hungary, the motorway itself is in good condition, but it’s not always a five-star hotel at every rest station either. Still, it’s no disaster at either country, I would say every second or third stop is reasonably well-equipped.

david
    Participant

Thanks Atticus. Will keep your suggestions in mind when booking

Atticus
    Participant

No problem, I’m happy to help. :)

foleyger
    Participant

I am also watching from gold 4. Can you watch from general admission on Friday if u have a general admission ticket Atticus? I am staying near the main train station in budapest

foleyger
    Participant

I am also watching from gold 4. Can you watch from general admission on Friday if u have a stand ticket Atticus? I am staying near the main train station in Budapest. Thanks

Mick
    Participant

@atticus-2 Thanks for the info. Hopefully it will be a nice drive.

@burras
    We’ve never been to Budapest before but having been to Monza and Barcelona agree with Atticus that staying near to a metro is sensible. We’ve booked a hotel near the city centre and the river within a few minutes walk of a line 2 (red, west-east) station. From there we can get to either Árpád had station to catch a bus or Örs vizor were to catch the train to the track. From what I’ve read in other places the bus leaves the shortest walk to the track from where you get dropped off, but I have heard that it can be really uncomfortable queuing for the buses and less than a great experience. So at the minute am not sure whether to go bus or train. I think I’d rather be taking a steady walk in the heat rather than standing in a long queue in the sun. We’ve done that in Barcelona and Monza and its not great. Wouldn’t fancy either if I’m honest with an 8 year old. My son was 8 when I took him to his first race at Silverstone and 17 years later we’re still going every year. Just now we do 2 races Silverstone and 1 European race each year. Hope you’re son enjoys his first race as much as mine did.

We’re sitting the other end of the pit straight to you in Silver 4. The views seem pretty good over the back half of the track.

If I get anymore information I’ll post it and would be grateful if you get any you could do the same. I’ve found that the better and more info I get the better things go and the more enjoyable the weekend.

Atticus
    Participant

@mick61 No problem, enjoy your stay, guys. I can only second that you share info about your experiences, the more the better indeed.

@foleyger
    Yes, sir. It’s worth wandering around the general admission at least once during the weekend, there are a few sweet spots around the fence. As far as I remember, the closest you can get to the action there is at T12 at the bottom of the hill or up, right after the chicane (although I’m not sure about this, it’s been far too long I’ve been there on those parts).

As for the ‘main train station,’ we actually have three similarly-sized terminal in Budapest – but all three of them are on the line of either metro line 2 (red) or metro line 3 (blue), so I’m pretty sure you’re at the right place anyway.

Have fun. :)

david
    Participant

@mick61 Appreciate the response, will surely post more later

foleyger
    Participant

Thanks a mil

david
    Participant

Just received the tickets through UPS. All psyched up for the race!
    I booked a small apartment in the city center, close to the red line metro station

Mick
    Participant

Hope you don’t mind me asking but where did you book your tickets. I booked ours through the Hungaroring and they say they don’t post outside Hungary and I’d need to collect them from either there office in Budapest or the racetrack.

I would have ideally liked to have had them before we hit the road to drive there.

david
    Participant

I booked mine through gpticketshop.com. Hope you will be able to get yours easily

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.