Going to the Italian Grand Prix at Monza

Going to the 2015 Italian Grand Prix at Monza

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Discussion area for people going to the 2015 Italian Grand Prix.

Neil Jones
    Participant

We are going to Monza next year for the first time (first ever Grand Prix) and would like some help please. We’re looking at staying in the Lake Como area maybe Bellagio but we are not sure on the logistics for getting to the track and back for the Sat/Sun. If anyone can please give us any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

F Tweehuysen
    Participant

I too am going to Monza for the first time. Is the camping from CampingF1 any good? I am also curious as to what happens on Thursday, I arrive Thursday about midday.

BrawnGP
    Participant

I can highly recommended camping F1. They have 3 sites, one in track, one next to it, and one a little further out. The two sites closest to the track seemed to be very loud party camps full of Europeans in camper vans.
    The third is where I stayed and is the only one with pre erected tents. You camp on the grounds of a hotel/restaurant. Theres a great chilled atmosphere there and the food is pretty decent. The toilet and shower block were very good too. Its also mainly english people which is noce. Its just one stop on the train so dits not a long commute. (You have to walk on sundays as the train doesnt run)
    I arrived on the Thursday too but ended up stocking up on supplies and having some beers with the other campers. I didnt find alot of info about what was happening on the Thursday but if you do, bare in mind… if you have to pick up your tickets, its at the opposite end of the track and is quite a trek.

F Tweehuysen
    Participant

Hi Stefan

Would you tell me how far from the race track the 3rd campsite is? For me the extra pounds are very expensive and so I would like to walk to the race track if I can.

Thanking you
    Frieda

BrawnGP
    Participant

Hey Frieda,
    Its about 25-30 minutes walk to the lesmo corner. Theres actually a lovely route along the river. You only have to walk it once though (sunday morning) as the train only goes the other way on Sunday, so you can stil get the train back after the race. Its only one stop on the train (like 4 minutes) so its by far the easiest. Im planning on going again this year.
    Stefan

Ra-Sewn
    Participant

What’s up everybody! So it looks like I’ll be hitting up Monza this year as I booked a deal on a flight that was too good to pass up (Just can’t seem to make it to Singapore).

Anyways, I’m more of a street course guy (Been to Monaco the past 2 years and hence the infinity for Singapore) though I did do Austin in November.

I bring this up since Monza is a speed track and the total anthesis of a slow circuit like Monaco. Even at the USGP, we stayed at Turn 1 (General Admission) so the cars weren’t moving at a great rate of speed.

I think I now want to now get the opportunity to enjoy the raw speed of these cars hence nowhere better than Monza.

Can anybody advise as to which grandstand is preferable as I would like to see at least some aspect of the pits as well as not be obstructed by the catch fence. How high up would I need to be? All input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ra-Sewn

BrawnGP
    Participant

Hey Ra-Sewn,
    The pits are very hard to see into unless you have a high grandstand ticket, the pit wall is just too high for the GA benches. If your after speed, then I’d suggest sitting on the inside of Parabolica, its a very high speed corner before the straight and its all GA along the inside of the corner.

Neil Jones
    Participant

All booked up now for Monza, staying for 7 nights in Bellagio. Not sure which is the easiest way to get to the track Saturday and Sunday, ferry/train, hire a car or are there any companies that do trips? Any help and tips please??

Ben Needham
    Participant

To share my experience from last year in the hope of encouraging everyone with any slight doubts to stop thinking and just do!

I drove down to Milan from the UK in a mini-bus with 9 friends. We stayed at Camping F1 (the site that backs onto the pit straight) and had an absolute blast! The racing was mega, the sun was out, the food was superb, the beer was cold, the atmosphere was unbelievable and the fans were loud. I can’t give higher praise than that.

We only had general admission tickets but managed to make use of the free roaming grandstand access on Friday, then on Saturday we managed to get good standing spots on the inside of the track on the exit of the first chicane. We also had a good walk around the old banking (steep!).

Sunday is where it gets really good… on Saturday night we drove the minibus right up to the fence on the camp site backing onto the pit straight next to the first corner… come Sunday morning we climbed onto the roof of the minibus and enjoyed the sun until the race started; which we viewed from the best seats in the house at the first corner!

Not sure if anyone could recreate that – but if you can; well worth doing!

It was genuinely the trip of a lifetime and if I get the chance to do it again; I most certainly will!

Ra-Sewn
    Participant

Thanks Stefan. I’ve decided to jump and get two tickets in Grandstand 26. My question is though, how can I select the actual seats I want? Per the Monza site, I’m only allowed to select the grandstand that I want, but not the actual row and seat. Does anybody know of a way to circumvent this?

I’ll be staying in Milan Friday – Tuesday before heading up to the Cernobbio for 5 days on the Lake. Can’t wait! (Bart Scott Voice)

Frieda
    Participant

@deityallah I also wanted to know that. So far I haven’t heard anything more from Monza.net.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you are going general admission at any point of the weekend (apart from Friday), don’t expect to see anything. The Italians racegoers rope off great sections of it, which they shouldn’t do, and even set up tents up front. If you do find a place that they haven’t done that, it is likely the reason is because trees are obscuring the track and you can’t see anything anyway!

Ra-Sewn
    Participant

Have any of you guys received your tickets as of yet? Per Monza, we should have been able to download them via there website in June, but it’s Mid July and I have yet to have received an e-mail confirming that my tickets are able for download and/or to be printed.

I shot an e-mail over to Monza two days ago and still haven’t heard anything back as of yet. Hopefully this is just an anomaly and nothing more.

Neil Jones
    Participant

Trying to sort train times to and from Monza for the Saturday and Sunday. What time does the track open for admission on both days? Also what realistic times are we looking at after qualifying and race days to be back at Monza rail station? Traveling down from Bellagio on both days, has any one done this trip?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.