Going to the Korean Grand Prix at Korea International Circuit

Going to the 2012 Korean Grand Prix at Korean International Circuit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Discussion area for fans going to the 2012 Korean Grand Prix at Korean International Circuit

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

Well, we are finally going since it looks like Argentina is going to replace Korea… We’ll be camping in our trailer, so if anyone else is camping, just post a message here. We can get together at the track!

Jordan
    Participant

Frankly, the whole Mar Del Plata project is looking very shaky. The contract was supposed to have been signed in May yet everything is quiet, and even Bernie has said he’s heard nothing.

Also, Korea has actually managed to reduce its costs significantly. They’ve given back certain rights to the race they bought from FOM in the original deal. It’s still very expensive, but hopefully it can stay on the calendar. Also hope getting to the circuit is alright for you, I’ve read all about the problems of it being remote.

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

What rights did they give back? I haven’t the time to scour for F1 news, so I haven’t seen anything on this.
    Remote? It is literally at the farthest position from ALL of the major cities that is geographically possible. I’ve lived here for over 10 years, so getting there isn’t the problem.
    It’s a crying shame the way the whole race has been handled since day one, but unfortunately, not surprising.
    I didn’t realize that the news about Argentina is from April… the silence is deafening. Wouldn’t be surprised if this info was a “plant” to put fire under CAVO’s feet to get their act together.

Either way, if I’m correct, there are 22 “races” for 2013, so I’m sure that any gaps left by those that drop by the wayside will be filled quickly.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@chris-yu-rhee

What rights did they give back? I haven’t the time to scour for F1 news, so I haven’t seen anything on this.

I don’t think they actually gave any rights back. My understanding is that the new deal greatly reduces the cost of holding the race, removes (or lessens) the 7% escalator that means circuits have to pay increasing amounts every year, and possibly has a provision that means the organisers get all the profits (previously, they had to pay 10% of any profit they made to FOM).

To put it quite literally, none of the decisions about Korea make and sense at all, unless there else going o that we don’t know about – and I have a theory about that.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this info was a “plant” to put fire under CAVO’s feet to get their act together.

Then it’s one hell of a deception – Cristinia Fernandez de Kirchner, the President of Argentina, was the person who announced that Argentina would be rejoining the calendar. I can’t imagine that the elected leader of a country would be party to Bernie trying to get organisers in another country on the other side of the world to start playing ball.

No, from what I’ve heard, the announcement was an attempt by de Kirchner to distract the country from the fragile state of its economy, amid speculation that Argentina could be in recession by the end of the year.

Of course, Bernie might be the authority on the calendar, but that doesn’t mean he is always a reliable source. He says what he wants when he wants to say it, and it’s usually for a reason. Just yesterday he said that Singapore have agreed to a new deal, only for the Singaporeans to deny it hours later. It’s entirely possible that there is a contract for a race in Argentina, and Bernie is simply playing the misdirection card until the calendar is finally announced.

Jordan
    Participant

http://en.espnf1.com/fia/motorsport/story/79249.html

That is the link where Bernie talks about taking back certain rights from the Korean organisers. There may very well have been other arrangements, like removing the escalator as you say.

But you are right, we can never take Bernie’s comments completely at face value. The London race was an excellent diversionary tactic, for example.

Hello all,

I’m going to be in South Korea starting the weekend of the race, and I’m going to try my best to go, but because I’m not sure as to whether or not I can make it, I’m wondering if it’s possible to buy tickets at the track the day of the race?

Lin1876
    Participant

@mrshoestore I doubt it’s possible to buy tickets on the day, but I’m led to believe the race hasn’t been massively popular among the local population so you’ll probably be able to buy tickets quite close to the event. Prices may be steep though, and beyond the odd Hyundai race not many support series are there (the GP2 and GP3 seasons will be finished by then, for example).

Alan
    Participant

Had an amazing time at this race last year, hope it does stay on the calendar (long enough for them to improve things further). I know the area was supposed to receive investment that fell through so that was a shame. Obviously the infrastructure needs investment, getting a taxi to an industrial estate and then a bus from there was a bit daunting for our first day, but the volunteers (civil servants) were amazingly helpful and so friendly.

I stayed in Gwangju, which I found on Saturday had very regular buses to the circuit which didn’t take too long (no traffic problems) and met lots of nice Koreans on the bus. I watched from the main grandstand (the rest of the stands are those scary scaffolding ones, but then that’s what most of Silverstone et al are). There was plenty of food shops and even a minimart by the stand, so could pick up some fresh food and cold cheap beers. Thoroughly enjoyed the whole event, I think the level of organisation is brilliant and puts races like Silverstone to shame where the aim seems to be try to and rip people off at every turn.

Only downsides of the Korea GP for me are the lack of support races, there was only really 1 real support race which had about 3 different formula racing in it to make up the numbers.

Eggry
    Participant

Now I’m the first one not talking about the replacement right? :D

Well, As a Korean fan, I have a couple of source about Korean GP. Here’s a little.

1) There will be autograph session after the qualifying. It would be held on the track between main stand and pit lane or main straight if you like. the session would be offered by order of arrival. as far as I know it would be 500 or 600. There’s special package which offer exclusive chance to get in the session earlier. I thin the package is only offered in Korea. The package is 100 limited edition. so overall, 600 or 700 people would get autograph.

The session is expected to be held about 30min or 1 hour after the qualifying. it’s based on order of arrival so you should hurry for right place at right time. Based on previous years, I think the gate on the right side(when you watch pit lane from the main stand) of the main stand. on my memory it should be near pillar of the bridge across main straight. The following coordinate and map is my suspect.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=34.731597,126.415997&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&ll=34.732381,126.416143&spn=0.003769,0.008256&z=18&iwloc=A

2) I heard this from a person of the organizer. Many F1 personnel include drivers, engineers, team bosses usually stay in Hotel Hyundai near the track. I attach the map of the hotel.

https://plus.google.com/104396542697454616498/
    https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=ko&geocode=&q=%ED%98%84%EB%8C%80%ED%98%B8%ED%85%94&aq=&sll=34.733484,126.387531&sspn=0.015077,0.033023&vpsrc=0&t=h&g=34.733484,126.387531&ie=UTF8&z=16&iwloc=A&cid=1139169234150178124

3) There’s a plan for roadshow in Seoul on Oct. 6th. It would be held on Gwanghwamun Square, which is in front of Gyeongbokgung, the place of the Joseon Dynasty. It’s the weekend of Japanese Grand Prix so none of Vettel and Webber will be the driver. even Buemi can’t. I heard it would be an young driver of Red Bull program.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=ko&geocode=&q=%EA%B4%91%ED%99%94%EB%AC%B8+%EA%B4%91%EC%9E%A5&sll=37.574025,126.976775&sspn=0.116325,0.264187&vpsrc=0&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=%EA%B4%91%ED%99%94%EB%AC%B8+%EA%B4%91%EC%9E%A5&hnear=&z=13&iwloc=A&cid=16813526255109441016

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

“I know the area was supposed to receive investment that fell through so that was a shame. “

The investment plan was never there. I have lived here for a decade now, and laughed when I saw the whole “plan.” Pie in the sky is how I would describe it. They only build buildings here when the buildings are almost completely sold/rented. And a Marina? Do you know what it costs to bring a boat or RV into Korea? Double the price, minimum, because of duties and taxes. Pre-U.S.F.T.A. it was triple!

I just can’t understand this whole event. The English websites for accommodations don’t work-again. It’s nuts.
    I think with Texas and New Jersey, Korea is going to be dropped unless they are willing to pay the full fee to Uncle Bernie.

We’ll be camping in our trailer, so the housing isn’t going to be an issue for us. Hopefully it goes well this year.

peter

It’s a big shame,

Why did the Korean organisers choose this location and why did Bernie OK it?

I reckon a night street race like Singapore would have been better. If local population around it were ok with it.

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

Who knows why they chose this location. Why do they have only two speed cameras on a four-lane highway? Nothing makes sense here. Nothing.
    I remember reading that this was the most difficult negotiation that Bernie every had for a race, so I think he upped the hosting fee (it’s the highest, I think) as a way of getting back at them.

A street race in Korea? That’s a laugh. I don’t think there’s a street in Korea that is smooth enough. And then there’s trying to control a population that has a predisposition to ignoring the rule of law.

There is no viable market for F1 in Korea outside of the Seoul area. Even in Seoul there is a shortage of accommodations. They are having problems with providing enough rooms for Chinese tourists.

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

T -5days. No news anywhere (Korea or Worldwide) about the race. It’s as if there is a blackout in effect. If anyone has anything about this year’s race, I’d love to know about it!
    I hope they at least got the corks off of the winners podium. LOL

Chris Yu Rhee
    Participant

T – 1 Saw some comedy shows today that were being filmed at the racetrack. That’s about it. I think it’s going to be quiet this year. I’ll take A LOT of pics. If you see a tall white guy wearing a safety-orange hunting hat, say “hi”. That’ll be me!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.