Going to the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay

Should you stay on European time?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi, I will be attending the Singapore Grand Prix this year. I am thinking of booking certain flight times so that it will help me to stay on European time, but is there much point of doing this if you are only a fan. Is there much to do in Singapore in the early hours of the morning during the first part of the week.

Alex green
    Participant

No is the simple answer unless you stay out drinking etc

Journeyer
    Participant

@mcmullan Very interesting question! If you want to hunt after F1 people, then of course it’s best to stay on European time. Bars serve drinks well past sunrise during the GP weekend, so if you want to do it, then go ahead!

That said, if you want to explore Singapore (Sentosa, in particular), then you’re better off staying on Asia time. Then you can spend the morning going to other tourist spots.

Jack Lenox
    Participant

I’d say yes if you’re all about F1. If you want to catch the drivers you can head down to the track at 2-3am (which is just open and you can walk it up to the early hours of Friday morning) and they’re often just out jogging or doing media stuff with the BBC, Sky etc.

Singapore really is a city that never sleeps and you’d be amazed how many bars and eateries are open at 4am. And it’s not rowdy or anything at that sort of time, people sit out drinking coffee and stuff. Very civilised!

However as others have said, some of the other attractions will be closed like Universal Studios on Sentosa etc.

Mankster
    Participant

No that’s maddness as a fan. You probably alreaddy paint thousands to come and see this race. May as well get you moneies worth and see the country and have a holiday at the same time. I aim to be out of the hotel by 10am and doo all the touristy things shopping etc and get to the circuit for 5pm. Concerts after the track session finish by midnight. So time for a another drink before hitting the sack at 1 or 2 am.

codesurge
    Participant

I’d say no. Like some of the others have already mentioned, there’s lots to see and do in the daytime if you’ve not previously been to Singapore. Sure, there are places that are open late but I feel that you’ll miss out on a lot if you don’t get a chance to visit places like Chinatown and the Zoo if you’ve flown all the way down for the race.

Personally, I’d recommend a combination approach – switch to local time but stay out late-ish (2-3am should be good) and then get back in time for a solid sleep till noon the next day or so. That way you’ll have half a day to explore the city and still be able to keep tabs on F1 activities and other non-related nightlife. It’s the best of both worlds.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.