Going to the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay

Going to the 2014 Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Discussion area for people going to the 2014 Singapore Grand Prix.

Diane Hepworth
    Participant

Does anyone know when tickets go on sale for Singaore 2014 ??

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

Diane. Super early bird tickets for limited stands went on sale virtually the day after the 2013 race. It was probably a limited time offer and closed now but it was something like 40% off – no zone 1 tickets though. The early bird tickets usually go on sale in February for most zones. They usually have a discount of 25% or so which is useful money on a $1000 ticket. Signup to the SingGP website and you will get plenty of email offers.

Diane Hepworth
    Participant

Thanks for that -will sign up and keep patiently waiting …,.

Vale
    Participant

Hey all, I am planning on going to the Singapore GP for my honeymoon.

I was hoping some of you who are experienced with this GP might be able to offer me some advice, what tickets options are usually available and how the views are if I don’t go for a stand seat.

Alex green
    Participant

@Vale
    to the left and right of stand 7 was decent,i actually watched a free practice from there even though i had a ticket for the granstand,its a long day if you aint used to the heat and the entry point was opposite the swiss hotel,its also where you pick up your tickets if purchased from the circuit direct and also has a metro stop and not far from raffles for a few pre/post slings

Richard
    Participant

@vale: I’ve been twice, last year and 2008.

Last year I splashed out on a ticket that put me in three different stands, for practice, qualifying and the race. Friday night was at the far left end of the Padang grandstand – a long straight followed by a sharp left hander – not much action to be honest but you can get a good feel for the speed. Saturday qualifying I was in the Bay grandstand – superb! Fantastic views of the Singapore skyline and the cars right in front of it all. This is where Nelson piquet Jr crashed (cheated!). Get tickets for this grandstand if you are on honeymoon – probably about as romantic as an f1 race could get!

Sunday was at the turn 1 grandstand for the race – excellent.

This ticket set me back about 500 pounds … You can do it a lot cheaper if you choose one grandstand for the three days and don’t choose turn 1 for the race.

The first time I went I just got a “walkabout” ticket for all zones. It too was great. You can actually get really close to the action in certain areas, with no one else around you at all. You get to within a couple of meters of the cars/track fence. Awesome.

Keep in mind that Singapore is HOT, so walking around for hours isn’t always fun. If you get a seat in the stands you can also walkabout…

Whatever you do, ensure your ticket gives you access to the entertainment you want to see (Zone 4 is where the major bands play each night, with smaller acts in other zones. You need to check when you book.) booking is easy online at the Singapore GP website, the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

Happy honeymoon! Might see you there this year!

Vale
    Participant

Wow great advice Richard thanks very much, very helpful.

I look forward to checking it out when they come on sale on the site. Bay grandstand sounds great will have to look into that cheers for the tip on the entertainment side, I was wondering about that.

Temperature wise, I am a Le Mans 24 veteran so I am used to walking around in the heat (when there is good weather in France) but I will keep that in mind for my future wife. :)

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

Turn 1 and Turn 2 (in particular) are the best stands for access to entertainment, food, transport and actual track viewing. The price is pretty high for this area but it’s worth it – avoid the pit grandstand because its the same price but a pretty poor view unless you’re in the highest rows of seats so you can see (just) into the pits. That said, the cars go by very fast so viewing isn’t great But you will get very close to the cars on start and finish. Trust me @Vale hot in Singapore is very different to hot anywhere else. The heat drains you pretty quick if you’re not used to the tropics. We’ve been for the past three years and it’s still a shock to the system when you get out of the airport. I’ve got a bundle of photos and videos on the web so send me a pm if you want the links.

Vale
    Participant

Cheers @Thecollaroyboys that would be great, thanks for the advice about the heat as well. I will bare that in mind.

Mankster
    Participant

Unless your wife is a dedicated Fanatic who will tolerate getting to prime the standing areas hours ahead of time on Sunday, I would get a Grandstand seat.
    There will be a big queue and jam to get out of the Bay Grandstand on the Saturday and Sunday – not fun if you hope to catch the first 45 min of the after race concert in the Padand.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

@vale
    have a look at https://www.youtube.com/user/SirEricCuttlefish/videos or if that doesn’t work google Singapore F1 GP sirericcuttlefish. There’s a bundle of band vids so you’ll need to scroll down a bit. These were taken from Bay A6 of the Turn 2 stand. I had a heap of pics on Flickr but I haven’t used Flickr for a while and now iit’s gone to Yahoo I can’t sign in. It’s all facebook now anyway.

Vale
    Participant

Great news, tickets are on sale next week. Looking to snap some up. I think I am going to go for one of the combination packages to get the best of the whole circuit over the weekend, probably the F package to spend sunday on the Bay Grandstand as per @Richard ‘s advice.

Do any of you know if there is pit access for the public at some point during the weekend like at Le Mans?

Also is kangeroo TV still a thing at F1?

Baconsarnie
    Participant

Hi, this will be my first time seeing a GP race and have been looking at the ticket packages. Was looking at getting the package to sit in different parts of the circuit but see that you cannot get Turn 2 for the Sunday in this, only Turn 1 or Pit Grandstand. If i call can you swap turn 1 for 2? (same price when buying that grandstand for the whole weekend)

The other downside with the package is you only have access to certain zones on the Friday and the Saturday, is it worth just paying the extra and booking the Turn 2 package all weekend? Have heard that Turn 2 Block A2 is the best?

Many Thanks

Mankster
    Participant

Last year the prime seats/popular blocks were not included in the multi stand packages, so it’s unlikely you would be able to swap one stand for another. T1&2 is really one big stand you can walk across, so you can sit in a free seat during one of the practice sessions if you access to any of those stands.
    Really only need a good seat for the Sunday, any seat with a view of a big screen for qualifying and walkabout for free practices to see the circuit from different angles. The best walkabout spots are in Zone 1 just before and just after the main straight. Avoid anything besides the top 2 rows in pit Grandstand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.