Going to the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay

Meeting up in Singapore 2012

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    DaveG
    Participant

Hi All. Can anyone (Singapore resident?) recommend a good bar without Clarke Quay prices?. Thinking of suggesting a Friday night beer or two for those travelling to the event.

Alan
    Participant

You could always buy some at a 7eleven then sit out on Clarke Quay (I know a lot of locals do this, thus avoiding the bar prices).

When I was there, the cheapest beer I had was at the sellers at the circuit, was about 6 dollars for a pint(ish) of Tiger :D

Next best place was one of the popular bars around Chijmes, or one of the places in Chinatown. They run pretty decent happy hours like 10 dollars for 2 Tigers.

DaveG
    Participant

Thanks Alan.

To make a meet happen, I guess I’ll need a specific location. Best option will be to follow up your suggestions for Chinatown etc but I guess that will be leaving it too late.

Thanks, anyway
    DaveG

clinton
    Participant

hi Dave
    heading to singapore on 18th september get there on the 19th. looking to meet up with like minded people over the weekend.
    ps what team are you ?
    clinton

DaveG
    Participant

Hey Carlos

McLaren…..

As for organising a drink/meet I think I will follow up the suggestions from Alan and if I find a good bar on the Thursday, I,ll put something here or on Twitter. That leaves people free to come along or not depending on their plans.

Dave

clinton
    Participant

Ok mate let me know that your intensions.
    Same for me mclaren all the way.
    Im staying in the clarke quay area so central to most areas.
    When and whare you flying from?
    Cheers clinton

DaveG
    Participant

Hi Clinton. Sorry, why did I call you Carlos?? ……. (It was a long Saturday ;-)

I arrive on the 20th from Heathrow. It’s been 30 years so most of my old haunts seems to have gone away thus I need to find a venue. As I say, I’ll post a suggestion for meeting up on the Friday evening around happy hour then folks can take a view

Cheers, Dave

dot_com
    Participant

I am so jealous of this entire situation!! I hope you have a blast – I’ll see Singapore someday.

adaptalis
    Participant

Try Beer Garden at St James Power Station. Nearest MRT station is Harbourfront.
    Outdoor dining area. Good bands on occasion.

There’s Timbre @ Substation. Nearest MRT (City Hall).

Else, a little off the main tourist spots is the River Valley district. Popular hangouts along Mohamed Sultan Road or Robertson Quay. Still pricey. There’s Wine Bar at Zouk – a popular club – (Jiak Kim Street) which have some cheap deals.

Finally another good district is Duxton Hill area (Nearest MRT at Tanjong Pagar)

Other options are further away from the main city area.
    Let me know if you’re interested in those.

DaveG
    Participant

Thanks adaptalis.
    I’ve put those in the book. I arrive early on the Thursday and will take some time to check them out then post a suggestion here and on Twitter on Thursday evening for a possible meet up on the Friday. A bit last minute but…..
    Cheers
    Dave

DaveG
    Participant

Hey dot_com
    Sorry you can’t be there.
    For me it’s a return visit – I did a couple of short contracts there in the 80’s but I’m told it’s very different now so looking forward to going back.
    Cheers D

adaptalis
    Participant

Dave,
    Depending on where you stay, i can suggest you possible spots to check out that is nearer and more convenient. When you’re here, feel free to drop @adaptalis on Twitter a message. I will try my best to assist you.

I won’t be able to join you for the meet up though, so enjoy your stay here!

DaveG
    Participant

Thanks adaptalis
    I’ll take up your offer when I arrive.
    Cheers
    Dave

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.