Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Buying tickets for the Circuit of the Americas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Where are the best places to get tickets for the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas?

Alzarius
    Participant

Ok.. Got an email from COTA about putting a $100 deposit down for Select Seating (suites and premium grandstand seats), but the faq area is not clear to me. Is the deposit all there is to allow you to get select seating, or do you also have to buy the seat license starting March 1st (they say $1000-$5000) and then after you buy the seat license you then get to buy select seating? Is the deposit also applied to the cost of the actual ticket? their webpage is kind of vague, but they are clear that this is first come first served.

General admission tickets start early summer

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@Alzarius – I’m guessing that the $100 deposit puts you on a waiting list. Being on that waiting list means that you will be able to buy tickets in advance, kind of like a concert. As it is a deposit and not a separate fee, the $100 will probably count towards the full ticket price.

But I’d say the best thing you can do it use this:

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/contact

They would be the best people to ask, sicne they’re the ones setting everything up. You have plenty of time until the tickets actually go on sale.

Alzarius
    Participant

Guess I will contact them and see what the scoop is. They make it sound like the deposit gets you on a waitlist to purchase the seat license first, and THEN you get to buy tickets for the best seats. I have no desire to buy the seat license (or 2 seat licenses if I take my wife with me to each race). Just not worth the $$$ for 1 event a year. I understand the value of a seat license for other sports like football or baseball, where there are several (or many) home games each season. This would be poor value for a F1 race venue, where there is only one race a year. Who would want to spend over $1000 for a seat license for that?

Again, i’ll ask COTA to see what the scoop is

They’ve chosen a ticket seller – just got this press release:

Legends Sales & Marketing has been chosen to join the Circuit of The Americas’ team to provide personal seat license and ticket sales services. Legends Sales & Marketing has proven experience in designing and marketing unique seating arrangements and experiences for sports venues, and currently manages ticket sales for the San Francisco 49ers new stadium, the Rose Bowl and the New York Red Bulls’ Red Bull Arena along with a number of other world-class venues. Previous clients of the Legends management team include Cowboys Stadium, Yankee Stadium, and MetLife Stadium.

“Legends impressed us with their track record and the emphasis they put on providing ticket buyers with a great value,” said Geoff Moore, chief marketing and sales officer of Circuit of The Americas. “I am pleased they have joined our team in this key role.”

“We’re excited to bring our unique approach to Circuit of The Americas and to be able to contribute to growing the fan base,” said Chad Estis, president of Legends Sales & Marketing. “It is truly a one-of-a-kind venue, and we believe high performance motor sports racing is going to represent a hot growth area relative to other sports categories. We are confident we will be able to help Circuit of The Americas build great crowds to experience the thrill these events deliver.”

Todd Fleming, vice president of sales, has been tapped to lead the Legends Sales & Marketing team for Circuit of The Americas. He and his organization will focus on ticket, suite, and select seating placement, and on methods for delivering an enhanced experience for all fans that goes beyond the races themselves.

Ticket Advisor Hiring Process

Legends Sales & Marketing plans to hire up to 20 new ticketing advisors to assist fans in their ticket selections and purchases. Interviewing has begun for candidates with experience in the Austin, San Antonio, Houston and DFW markets. Additionally, the company has scheduled a job fair on February 24-25 at InterContinental Hotel Stephen F. Austin at 701 Congress Avenue in Austin, Texas to accept resumes and conduct interviews for the most immediate openings. Legends Sales & Marketing plans to be fully staffed by March 1, 2012 and fully prepared to assist ticket buyers interested in the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX scheduled for November 16-18.

About Circuit of The Americas

Circuit of The Americas will be a world-class destination for performance, education and business. It will be the first purpose-built Grand Prix facility in the United States designed for any and all classes of racing, from motor power to human power, and be the U.S. home to both the Formula 1 Grand Prix and V8 Supercar World Championships.

The Circuit of The Americas’ master plan features a variety of permanent structures designed for business, education, entertainment and race use. Its signature element will be a 3.4-mile circuit track with capacity for 120,000 fans. Other support buildings will include a medical facility, a conference center, a banquet hall as well as an expansive outdoor live music space. Future proposed amenities include a driving/riding experience, a motorsports driving club, kart track, grand plaza event center and tower, and a trackside recreational vehicle park. For more information and downloadable video, audio and photos, visit: http://www.CircuitofTheAmericas.com.

About Legends Sales & Marketing

Legends Sales & Marketing offers team owners, facility operators and athletic departments sales services including ticket sales and service, personal seat license sales execution, customer relations and database management, and sales training and consulting. Current clients include the San Francisco 49ers, Rose Bowl, Farmer’s Field, and Pinnacle Bank Arena. Legends Hospitality Holding Company LLC is co-owned by the Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees and two equity firms, Goldman Sachs and CIC Partners. The firm provides a broad array of business services including sales, hospitality and merchandising to the sports and entertainment industry.

nancy

I am thinking that I would not buy a ticket for any race other then this years, or you might be out the money. Hearing that the only race in the United States will be the New York/New Jersey after 2012. Not sure if it is true, but sounds like it so far. This year does seem to be on schedule though.

Glenn
    Participant

Just got this run down from a COTA rep.

We currently have seating options in the Main Grandstand, Grand Plaza (Turn 15), and Turn 1. Page 7 and 9 of the PSL Presentation will show the Grandstand, page 8 will give you a look at Turn 1, and page 4 will show you the Grand Plaza (bottom right picture – the elevated stand to the left of the large red tower/amphitheater). These seats are the best at the track and all come with a personal seat license

A Personal Seat License (PSL):
    – Gives you ownership of the seat for 15 years
    – You can sell your PSL or transfer it to someone else after 2 years of ownership
    – You have right to purchase tickets for ANY race for your seat
    – You can sell your tickets at any price you desire
    – You pay a 1-time upfront cost
    – You’ll pay an annual season ticket package
    – Season Ticket Package includes F1 (Nov 16-18) and V8 Supercars (March or May of 2013)
    – Any other race is optional

Both the Grand Plaza and Turn 1 have the same price points as the Main Grandstand ($2000, $3000, $4000, $5500). Turn 1 does not have the cheapest option available. Please note that you can subtract $500 from the PSL price if you pay in full upfront.

If the PSL is not an option, we will have General Admission seats that will come out mid-to-late summer. You will still have priority access to purchase these seats over the general public. The prices will be consistent with other F1 races around the world.

Mark
    Participant

If the PSL is not an option, we will have General Admission seats that will come out mid-to-late summer. You will still have priority access to purchase these seats over the general public. The prices will be consistent with other F1 races around the world.

So the only seats available to F1 fans who do not want or have the means to buy a PSL are general admission? If that’s the case, the USGP is dead on arrival. This isn’t an NFL franchise with lots of home games and rock concerts.

People, like me, travel great distances, spend lots of money on hotels, food and entertainment for F1 races. I have no need or interest in a PSL.

I’d be very interested in the contract terms for the PSL. Will COTA buy back your PSL at a pro-rated value if Bernie and COTA fall out of love? 15 years is an eternity in the fast moving world of F1.

What I have read concerns me. Once again, it appears F1 is going to fail in America. I’m glad my hotel reservation can be canceled without penalty.

Alzarius
    Participant

I agree. As I wrote elsewhere, the F1 audience is fundamentally different than those for NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL etc where there is a clear advantage in purchasing a PSL and a season ticket package where you can support your local team for many games.

Much of the F1 audience are probably NOT going to be Austin locals. They’re going to be fans from other states or other countries. A PSL and season ticket package has no utility for those people.

This is simply a very poor way to market the event, and seems to be put together by people who have no clue at all as to who goes to these races. Absolutely ridiculous.

F1Yankee
    Participant

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120504/F1/120509920

To say Circuit of the Americas is ambitious in pricing its tickets and PSLs is an understatement. The most expensive seat at the Monaco Grand Prix (not including the Paddock Club for serious high-rollers) is in the premium “gold” section—and costs $657. The top seat in the only permanent grandstand at Circuit of the Americas, on the front straight, is $1,250, and that does not include the $5,500 PSL or parking. The least expensive seat at Monaco, in the “bronze” section, is $303. At Circuit of the Americas, it’s $375 in the turn 15 grandstand, and that does not include the $1,500 PSL.

The PSL gets you essentially the right of first refusal for that seat for the next 15 years; it does not include a ticket, nor any guarantee that F1 will be there for 15 years. Selling a personal seat license for a spot on an aluminum bench on a temporary grandstand is unprecedented in motorsports, but if it works, the Circuit of the Americas staff will look like a bunch of geniuses.

these prices are astronomical, matching or exceeding what you’d pay for championship tickets to any of the big 4 north american sports. and that’s before being gouged on hotels, food, drink and everything else. it’s likely to be less expensive for me to go to silverstone, never mind montreal or waiting for new jersey. i think few here are as f1-fanatical, or have fewer responsibilities, as myself and i am outraged.

It isn’t his problem if all the planned track facilities aren’t finished or how well the parking plan works—presently it calls for almost all parking at remote lots miles away, with fans bused in on official shuttles, which apparently won’t be free. This despite the fact that Circuit of the Americas is certifiably In The Middle Of Nowhere, surrounded by prairie that looks, to me, like a pretty good place to park. A rental car, anyway.

Thecollaroyboys
    Participant

I’ll be burgered if I’m going to fly 14 hours and shell out ten grand or more for my family if I don’t get a good seat. I would not, under any circumstances go for a PSL or buy on the secondary market and risk a rip-off. I’m happy to pay for a premium seat (though not paddock club) so long as I get my choice of seat, this style of ticketing is ridiculous. If they think I’m going to fly 14 hours to take up such a ludicrious offer then they’ve got another thing coming. I wonder what colour the sky is on their planet?

Mclarengal
    Participant

We’ve booked to go from London via motoexpress: http://www.motoexpress-events.com. Not cheap, but, given the prices discussed above, it doesn’t seem a bad deal for transfers, tickets (quali and race) and a place to stay for the 4 days. I’m really looking forward to it!

Alzarius
    Participant

I’m hoping that the prices we’ll see in the coming months will be a bit better/lower. Seems like if you’re a local in Austin, or are a fanatic of ALL motorsports (not just F1), then you can get the absolute best seats for a super-premium price (seat license + season package for ALL races).

Then when these promoters figure out that no fish is biting, they’ll lower the prices to the general public who just want to see that one F1 race (not the MotoGP, not the V8 supercars etc), and have a weekend package pricing that might be more palatable.

At least I hope…. otherwise I’ll just skip it this year and go back to Montreal next year- better city, better transportation. I paid about $450 for a weekend package in Grandstand 11 there last year, so if Austin goes way above that, then forget about it.

The three-day pass goes on sale on June 10th, costing $159:

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/tickets

Alzarius
    Participant

Prices just landed in my email inbox an hour ago, and for the last hour, I’ve been searching for the best tickets. “Presale” lasts until Sunday June 10, then everything is opened up to the public.

Prices listed on the website are:
    Pit straight, Turn 1, and Turn 15 all require a seat license fee so I didn’t bother to look there.

Grandstand bleachers 3-day pass:
    Turn 2,3,4,5 $299 (+$20 transaction fee per ticket extra)
    Turn 11 $269
    Turn 12 rows 1-15 $399
    Turn 12 rows 16 and up $499

I decided to go for Turn 12 rows 1-15. kept refreshing tickets in my cart to get a higher row but it is near impossible to get anything above row 8. I saw row 12 once but was too late to pull the trigger so the tix were gone from my cart.

In the end, I got Turn 12, section 4, row 8. Not too shabby I guess. Sections are numbered from lowest to highest in the direction of the race (i.e. cars pass from 1 to 2 to 3 etc), as seen in the diagrams for the seat license sections. I was looking for these diagrams and spent too much time, hence missed out on the row 12 seat.

General admission is $159 for the 3 days. All tickets include shuttle transportation.

I guess the prices are not too different from the Montreal race? I remember paying around $450-$500 for a 3-day pass at Grandstand 11 last year in Montreal. Here the non-premium grandstands run up to a similar price, and higher up for the premium ones.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.