Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Public Group active 2 days, 3 hours ago

Group for fans going to the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas.

For America’s other round of the F1 championship see here:
Going to the Grand Prix of America

Buying tickets for the Circuit of the Americas

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Jason Jason 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    infernojim
    Participant

I was surprised at the ticket prices. I’m UK based, and thought that given F1 has generally failed due to lack of interest, it would be priced more competitively.

The cheapest grand stand tickets (Turn 11) work out at around £180 for weekend, which isn’t bad, but is by no means cheap compared with most other circuits. Even on their release, they come out 5th most pricey…

I’m not sure what I’m going to go for yet. Turn 12 does look like it will be awesome, but given I’m going to have to pay £580 to get to the GP (we are making a holiday / road trip from Nashville to Austin over 2 weeks, so should be great), I don’t really want to pay over £200 for the weekend tickets.

Good to see shuttle buses though, that’s good work. A t present, I reckon I’ll either go for one of the 2, 3, 4, 5, or 11 stands, or GA. The GA looks quite well spread around the track, and is sooo much cheaper….

Looking forward to it either way…

Mitch Lewis

I find it strange that they are charging more for tickets higher up the grandstand. I would think that it would be better to sit closer to the cars versus farther away. The only other F1 race I’ve attended was in Silverstone. We sat in the very top row of the bleachers. The wind blew at our backs the entire time and we were very cold. The more expensive seats were closer to the track in the same bleachers. I think they were probably warmer as well because the people behind them blocked the wind.

What am I missing with the Circuit of the America’s pricing? Is it worth it to pay extra to sit up higher and get a slightly better long distance view of the track? I’m not sure that it is.

Mitch Lewis

Here’s a link to the average weather conditions in Austin, TX on November 17th.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/29684/11/17/Austin-Texas-United-States

infernojim
    Participant

@Mitch Lewis – agree it’s a bit odd.

The only thing that I can think is that beyond row 16 you would have an unobstructed track view, e.g. not be watching through a chain link fence? I can’t think of anywhere else where seating is split in this way though (admittedly, I’ve only been to Nurgburgring, Hungaroring and Silverstone (where I was in the Copse terrace stand, e.g. free for all in terms of where you sit).

Mitch Lewis

Thanks.

Ended up getting seats in Turn 12 grandstands Row 8. The higher seats were all sold out. (sigh)

Hopefully we’re not looking through a chain link fence. (crossing fingers)

David Noble

I ordered Turn 12 grandstands seats last night, when i got back from my anniversary dinner with my wife all that was left was row 6 seating. Hotel, Airfare, and Tickets already taken care of. Really looking forward to November.

rich

I ordered my single ticket for turn 4 row 25, Very excited, it will be my first live formula experience. I guess I will have to also take the shuttle even though I live 6 miles from the track. Aside from the the racing, what else should i expect out of this weekend, thanks

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If this image is anything to go by, tickets are very nearly sold out:

http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/images/tk_map.jpg

The only stands with any available seats left are the premium grandstands on the main straight and at Turns 1 and 15, the non-premium seats at Turns 9 and 11 (West stand) and the general admission areas scattered around the circuit. Non-premium grandstand seating at Turns 1, 14, 19 and 20 has not opened up yet.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

An update on ticket sales has just come through from COTA:

Circuit of The Americas entering final stage of ticket sales for 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix

Limited sale of reserved Three-Day Premium Tickets underway
    Three-day reserved grandstand bleacher and general admission tickets sold out

Circuit of The Americas today announced that it is entering the final stage of ticket sales for the 2012 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix set for Nov. 16-18 at the new sports and entertainment centre in Austin, Texas. The Circuit has completed its sales of three-day reserved grandstand bleacher seats (with the exception of accessible seating for those guests who qualify) and in early August sold out of three-day general admission tickets for the event.

With inventory for the 2012 Grand Prix running out, the Circuit is offering the limited number of reserved seats remaining in premium grandstands as Three-Day Premium Tickets. The multi-day tickets range in price from $400 to $800 per person and are available in the Turn 1 and Turn 15 seating sections. Three-Day Premium Tickets are available only for this year’s Formula 1 United States Grand Prix and do not provide any of the additional long-term benefits of personal seat licenses (PSL) with season tickets, including access to additional events. Three-Day Premium Tickets can be purchased by contacting a Circuit sales representatives Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CDT at 512.301.6600 or by visiting the “Tickets” section of the Circuit’s website, http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com.

“We’ve exceeded our targets for the first year of what will be a multi-year PSL sales campaign,” Circuit Chief Marketing and Revenue Officer Geoff Moore said. “We have a limited amount of premium seating in some of PSL areas that we can make available this year. These Three-Day Premium Tickets will be absorbed by our PSL program in subsequent years, but we are pleased to offer them on a limited basis to race fans this year.”

Customers interested in purchasing Circuit of The Americas’ season tickets with PSLs can contact a Circuit sales representative Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. CDT at 512.301.6600.

codesurge
    Participant

The link to the purchase site seems to be broken at the moment, but it’s frustrating as heck to see the Turn 1 seats being made available for 400USD, the same as what the Turn 12 seats were going for. On hindsight, I probably should have waited till this point when COTA got desperate enough to sell away the PSL-reserved seats that they couldn’t find PSL buyers for.

Jason
    Participant

I agree with @codesurge about the price of the Turn 1 seats, but don’t feel bad about not having waited. Everyone involved has been doing a good job of playing smoke and mirrors to suggest you had to buy whatever you could get your hands on.

You should be able to upgrade your tickets to Turn 1 if they are still available. When they put a second set of stands near Turn 12, they made a big deal of how they were allowing General Admission ticket holders to upgrade their purchases. They made it sound like they had made a special exception for those with General Admission, but when I called to do make the upgrade it was clear that anyone at any time can upgrade their tickets if they wish. Only you can never downgrade your ticket.

I don’t have or remember the number, but you should be able to call the ticket folks and get an upgrade to Turn 1; they were incredibly helpful, patient, and knowledgeable when I upgraded my General Admission to Turn 12.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.