Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Public Group active 12 hours, 58 minutes ago

Group for fans going to the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas.

For America’s other round of the F1 championship see here:
Going to the Grand Prix of America

Going to the 2013 United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas

This topic contains 70 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Alex green Alex green 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Alex green
    Participant

Was having a quick look for hotels and pickings seem to be poor,im hoping that all the travel companies are reserving rooms then they will get released closer to the event which happens quite frequently,if not im going for the town as close to austin and hire a car option as i will probably stay for a week and do the tourist thing

codesurge
    Participant

@hockeynut Well, I saw the opposite trend for the Singapore night race. The first year was madness with everybody jumping in on the hype wagon, but the attendance in the second year tailed off.

About moving around freely on Friday, I got my ticket checked (repeatedly) at the Turn 5 grandstand so perhaps it depends on how strictly the staff at each grandstand want to police the entrance.

Steve Heyman

@codesurge, you are probably right. We were chatting with one of the staff at turn 4 and she told us that we could go pretty much anywhere since it was quiet on Friday, but maybe not all of the staff felt that way.

codesurge
    Participant

Okay, I’ve finally caved in and bought tickets for this year’s US GP. Will be at Turn 9 with a set of binoculars to see down the back straight. Was initially tempted by Turn 15 but decided that the premium was a little high. Maybe next year.

Wayne Whitaker
    Participant

Mid level Turn 15 for me. Traveling from Australia for the race, trying to economize on the tickets seems pointless. Done my ticketing for Sao Paulo as well now so lots of long haul flying to do.

us-brian
    Participant

Got my Ticket, Parking and Hotel. Turn 1 again. Hotel i found Motel6 Austin South Airport the cheapest and also closest to the track. $119/night.
    Turn 1 gives you an incredible view of the whole Start Finish, Pits, Turns 1 through 4, the Instambul Turns and more. Also close to entrance.

Alex green
    Participant

Right anybody know if id be better staying in austin south or austin midtown?Basically im looking for ease in getting to the track( i know its south east of the city) but also ill be heading into the centre for everything austin has to offer in the evening, i will also be using cabs for the w/end

Michael Moran
    Participant

Hi Alex!
    I wish I could say Austin has a great public transport system, but I’d be lying if I did. Taxi’s from anywhere to the track are going to be expensive. You’d probably be better off renting a car & buying a 3 day parking pass at one of the remote lots, which would also open up more affordable hotel options and enable you to get into town for the evening activities. They still haven’t finalized where the shuttle lots are going to be this year.
    If you had a car, Buda would be a good place. 15 minutes to the track on the tollways & 15 minutes into town. Also, the hotels around the I-35 & Ben White intersection would give you fairly easy access. Whatever you decide, I wouldn’t wait too long to book your hotel. UT has a football game in town that weekend also.

Alex green
    Participant

@Micheal
    Many thanks micheal,ive been trying to avoid the rent a car so i can have a beer or 15 but i may just do that on the sunday

Michael Moran
    Participant

I wish for visitors sake, they would announce what they plan on doing with shuttles this year. If they plan on having a lot downtown again this year, having a hotel in the downtown area would provide the best overall experience for someone. Not the least expensive(notice I didn’t say cheapest….nothing is going to be cheap,lol!), but you could walk to all the activity venues in the evening & catch the shuttle each day to the track. I live in Buda, but I’ve rented one of the camping spots from CoTA & rented a trailer so I can just hang at the track all weekend & not have to worry about driving anywhere! I’ll post any updates to schedules & activities as I hear about them.

In the meantime, here’s link to my pics from last year:

http://www.mmtravelpics.com/Our_World_%26_Welcome_to_It%21/2012_F1_U.S.G.P./2012_F1_U.S.G.P..html

Alex green
    Participant

@Micheal
    Yip thats what ive been waiting on the “shuttle” buses,i went against my earlier plan of staying in a town close by and driving,ive heard good things about the austin nightlife”
    Anyway im in a holiday inn on the south side and ive hired a car which i was going to do anyway as i fancy heading down to san antonia to check out the alamo and my flight to sao paulo isnt until the thursday

Michael Moran
    Participant

Sounds like a good plan. The Austin vibe has pretty much shifted for adults from the 6th street area to the 2nd street & the South Congress area. Mostly drunk college kids on 6th anymore.

Are you going to the Brazilian GP also? I’m going to Monza in Sept. for the Italian GP….tickets arrived DHL today! Have you already got tickets for the USGP?

Alex green
    Participant

@Micheal
    Yip ive got turn 1 tickets for austin and my flight plans are as follows,edinburgh london dallas austin dallas sao paulo new york london edinburgh,air miles and hotel points are great :)

Michael Moran
    Participant

That will be a lot of miles…..probably enough to get you airfare to any race next year!

Rob Marzouki

Hey Guys…live in Texas and going to my first F1 USGP this year….they are currently running a $50 off T4 & T9 ticket promotion with LivingSocial right now…check it out…free parking with the 4 packs

https://livingsocial.com/events/cities/1699-austin-citywide/774148-formula-1-united-states-grand-prix-weekend-pass?msdc_id=1699-austin-citywide

Thanks,

Bil

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.