Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Going to the 2014 United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Discussion area for people going to the 2014 United States Grand Prix.

Sauber
    Participant

I will go fo sure. But only because is the only one fairly close for me.
    Organization is awful, hotel prices outrageous and the circuit facilities are way far away from European ones.

ckang
    Participant

just booked plane tickets to Austin! as a total F1 noob I’ll be depending on this thread a lot for suggestions on how to get around… does anyone know when tickets usually go on sale?

Michael Moran
    Participant

If I remember correctly(I have PSL seats so I don’t have to worry about it) they went on sale towards the end of June or first part of July. That’s when I got the info on camping from my sales rep.

I finally got my website updated with my pics from the 2013 race.

Link: http://www.mmtravelpics.com/Our_World_%26_Welcome_to_It%21/2013_F1_U.S.G.P./2013_F1_U.S.G.P..html

Jane Smith
    Participant

I thought they went on sale in Feb…? Am looking at buying one of the packages – ticket, hotel and hospitality. @ckang if you go to the circuit website and sign up to the newsletter you will get notification. Not been to the US for an F1 before, so looking forward to adding another notch to my F1 stick besides UK, France, Spain, Spa, Hockenheim, Nurburgring, Monza, Hungaroring, Singapore, Turkey…over many years :) Lovely sport to be into, but no wonder I am skint most of the year :)
    Has anyone been on one of the circuit packages? Are they worth it?
    As always, we are travelling totally independent – am dragging husband to the US for 2 weeks with F1 in the middle :)

Michael Moran
    Participant

I talked to my rep at CoTA & she said tickets will be on sale hopefully around Feb. 17. QuintEvents will be handling the packages direct from the Circuit again this year if you are interested in the packages.

I’ve always felt the packages were a bit overpriced, but I guess you are paying for the convenience of one stop shopping. If you want to piece a package together for yourself, I would start soon. I think the Hampton Inn downtown is a good option if available. It’s within a couple of blocks of the FanFest, Halloween on 6th & the Downtown shuttle to the track.

ckang
    Participant

Thanks all for the helpful discussion so far! I’ll be sure to sign up for the COTA email list and check out those packages. That said- are they basically just combinations of seating/hotel? Is there anything extra included that makes it a good value?

Also, I’m thinking of staying downtown and then shuttling in, and trying to decide between reserved or general admission. We wouldn’t be able to bring chairs since we’re flying in. Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome.

Michael Moran
    Participant

One of the nice things about CoTA is the General Admission areas do provide good views of the track. The areas are located in all areas except for the T12-15 area. The most popular areas are T1 & T11. They are built on birms so you aren’t struggling to see over people. If you are looking to get Grandstand seats, the T1 & T15 grandstands have regular seats with backs & provide greater width, legroom & have cupholders. All the other grandstands are bleacher type seats.

As far as lodging…..If you want to experience all that Austin & the race weekend has to offer, try to get a place downtown if you can afford it. Prices are high, but the Hampton Inn probably provides the best value to experience ratio. If you just want to enjoy the race & don’t care about the downtown festivities much, I would get something in the outlying towns in this order: Buda(town has provided a shuttle for both previous races), Kyle, San Marcos, Bastrop & Lockhart. If you’re adventurous & CoTA offers it this year, consider getting a dry camping spot & renting a trailer or motorhome. Last year the spots included 4 GA tickets for a cost of $1000. If you rented a trailer for 4 nights, the spot & opted for the optional electrical hookup & a rental car, you’d be out about $3,000. Really not bad since it included the tickets. I did this even though I live in the area. It was great being at the track all weekend.

Jane Smith
    Participant

Thanks! We are looking at somewhere like Kyle IF we go the hotel route as opposed to one of the packages. Is it an easy route in? @ckang, the packages include shuttle service, some complimentary drinks and food, pitlane walk, meet an F1 Legend, buffet lunch/reception, that sort of thing, depending on evel of package. Plus grandstand seats of course :)

Michael Moran
    Participant

Buda & Kyle are very easy locations to get to the track. You just take the 45E tollway to the 130 tollway. The 45 cut off starts at Interstate 35 in Buda. 12 miles @ 80mph doesn’t take long! In Buda, the Hampton, Microtel, Holiday Inn Express & Comfort Suites have all been built in the last couple of years. Plus as I mentioned, the City has provided shuttle service for $25 the previous years that picks up at the hotels. If you haven’t been able to tell, I live in Buda…lol! Away from the interstate, it still has the small town Texas charm. We even have longhorns that live right on Main Street.

nigel
    Participant

Coming from Australia can anyone recommend accomadation for race weekend

Michael Moran
    Participant

What area did you want to stay & what is your budget?

Jane Smith
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up Michael :)

Alex green
    Participant

@Nigel
    I stayed in hyatt last year,it was pricey but i was having breakfast with caterham and lotus every morning,you try telling alexander rossi that its your toast that was in first lol
    But it was perfect for the shuttle buses and great for evenings entertainment

ckang
    Participant

As an update, I dialed the COTA general information service and it sounded like they don’t have any info yet on shuttle locations or ticket sales… although from what Michael’s saying above, surely there’s someone in the know?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.