Going to the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

Prohibited and permitted items to be taken into the circuit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Information from a press release from the Circuit of the Americas:

Circuit of The Americas has released a list of prohibited items leading up to the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix, Nov. 16-18, 2012. The list is intended to benefit the ticketholders, preparing them to enter the race quickly and efficiently.

The following items will not be permitted inside the gates of the circuit. In addition to items specifically listed here, other items that may be deemed to present a potential hindrance or threat may also be prohibited.

Alcoholic Beverages
    Animals (exception for certified service animals)
    Bags or parcels larger than 12X12X20 inches
    Bicycles, scooters, skateboards, skates, segways, golf carts or other unauthorized means of transportation
    Coolers, thermoses or ice chests
    Distribution of unauthorized promotional or commercial material
    Food and Beverage (Note: sealed, individual, plastic bottles of water are allowed)
    Fireworks, explosives or other incendiary devices
    Glass or metal containers of any style
    Illegal substances
    Items that may be deemed a safety hazard or annoyance to participants or guests (balls, Frisbees, balloons, projectiles, horns, radios, bells, whistles, musical instruments, laser pointers, etc.)
    Large, golf-type umbrellas
    Non-collapsible chairs
    Tents or canopies
    Video cameras, still cameras with lenses exceeding 10 inches in length or detachable lenses of any kind, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed
    Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items

The following items will be permitted inside the circuit gates.

Blankets
    Umbrellas (small, hand-held style)
    Baby strollers
    Portable, collapsible chairs
    Personal camera equipment (e.g. digital cameras, point-and-click digital cameras or film cameras)
    Binoculars

Note: All bags, purses, backpacks and persons are subject to screening by security personnel. Fans entering Circuit of The Americas should prepare accordingly.

Smoking will only be allowed in authorized areas. All security measures are subject to change without notice.

Ticketholders should be aware that there are no provisions for returning banned items to them when such items are left at the race entrances. Patrons are encouraged to leave all banned items at home or in their vehicles before entering the venue or boarding any of the complimentary shuttle buses transporting ticketholders to Circuit of The Americas. Individuals who deliberately attempt to bring banned items through security checkpoints are subject to removal from the facility.

The resale of Circuit of The Americas admission tickets is strictly prohibited on Circuit property, which includes the facility’s grounds and surrounding parking areas.

ccolanto
    Participant

I can’t believe this. This is ridiculous to me. I go to the Canadian GP every year and they don’t ban any of these things and that’s what makes it an amazing experience. Are they planning on checking everyone at the gate? that’s just crazy.
    What is the norm at other tracks?

F1Yankee
    Participant

this is what it’s like to attend a sporting event, enter an airport, or buy groceries in the united states:

robk23
    Participant

Overkill from the USA there regarding security. I was stopped at Orlando airport once so some ‘suspicious documents’ could be checked, they turned out to be the plane tickets.

DamionShadows
    Participant

“Weapons of any kind, including guns, knives, pepper spray, handcuffs, nightsticks or other items”

Wait. Do they realize this race is in TEXAS?

Xander
    Participant

“Video cameras, still cameras with lenses exceeding 10 inches in length or detachable lenses of any kind, audio recording devices and tripods; no video recording will be allowed”

Is it normal to not allow video cameras??? I mean seriously!

F1Yankee
    Participant

Is it normal to not allow video cameras??? I mean seriously!

that is perfectly normal for any event held on private property. for major league baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer and football, any written or verbal account of the events is prohibited without written consent.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, this is pretty much par for the course at sporting events here in the US, unfortunately. Bag searches, metal detectors, the whole nine yards. (The rule about the camera lens sizes, though — that’s a new one for me.)

It was an eye-opening experience to go to the British GP this year. All you had to do to get in was show your ticket to the polite teenaged boy at the gate. I had been fully prepared for a security checkpoint of some kind. It was great. Viva Silverstone!

Eastman
    Participant

No coolers. No food. No beer. No smoking in the stands.
    Meh my ideas of skipping Canada for Texas in 2013 have now changed a lot.

xbx-117
    Participant

The no food one is the only thing that really aggravates me (they only do it so you have to purchase food there). Everything else is pretty standard for the US.

Being in Texas though, I wonder how successful they will be with enforcing some of these restrictions, haha.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Welcome, global race fans, to the land of the free!

xjr15jaaag
    Participant

Sio are they allowed the air horns that you hear people blowing at other races?

raymondu999
    Participant

To be honest I don’t think this will be the norm. It’s because Obama will be there – and a lot of these things such as video cameras/lenses are relatively easy ways to conceal weaponry.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Good news for people with nice cameras!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=532654073427604&set=a.244776828881998.84656.219399881419693&type=1&theater

“Detachable cameras lenses of all sizes WILL BE PERMITTED at the 2012 FORMULA 1 UNITED STATES GRAND PRIX™ Nov. 16-18. Please note that individual video cameras will not be permitted on site; however, cell phones with photo and video capabilities will be allowed.”

F1Yankee
    Participant

however, cell phones with photo and video capabilities will be allowed.

so who makes a prosumer vid camera with a cheapo phone built-in?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.