Formula Two

2012 GP2 calendar

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

With GP2 and GP2 Asia being amalgamated into one championship for 2012, the GP2 organisers have announced that the series will be expanded to include several flyaway races. However, the December 7 meeting of the WMSC passed without an annoucement, and so I’m wondering if these plans are still going ahead. And if they are, then where do you think GP2 will reach out to?

raymondu999
    Participant

I’d actually love to see a GP2 race season that is a carbon copy of the F1 season.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@raymondu999 – that’s simply too expensive. The main reason why the GP2 Asia calendar was trimmed down to include just Bahrain and Abu Dhabi was because it was too expensive to fly everyone to China, Malaysia and Indonesia. GP2 teams don’t have the same size budgets as Formula 1 teams, and to have them race at every Grand Prix would kind of undermine the point of Formula 1. The idea is to have Formula 1 as the pinnacle of motorsport, with all 20 races. GP3 is the entry-level series, with races at all the European rounds. And GP2 is square in the middle, with all the European races, plus a handful of fly-aways.

I figure that GP2 will probably only have four fly-away events in 2012, and that those races will be grouped together. So we’ll probably be looking at races in Australia and Malaysia, and later in America and Brazil. Or something like that.

raymondu999
    Participant

The question was “where do you think GP2 should reach out to?” not “where do you think GP2 WILL reach out to?”

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@raymondu999

But surely you have to admit that having GP2 follow all twenty Grands Prix on their shoestring (by comparison) budget is asking too much?

Fine. I’ve changed it. Where do you think the series WILL go next year?

raymondu999
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys it would be a stretch. But in an ideal world – which you don’t need to remind me we are NOT in – in my opinion GP2 should be as such – with it becoming truly a “junior Formula 1.”

But otherwise; I’d kind of agree with what you said – except for the choice of races. I’d think they’d go to places that are closer together to save on logistical costs – e.g. Korea/Japan; rather than America and Brazil.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@raymondu999

But in an ideal world in my opinion GP2 should be as such – with it becoming truly a “junior Formula 1.”

It already is. The problem with visiting every race (aside from money) is that it takes some of the challenge out of things. When a driver steps up to Formula 1, he should race on circuits he has never seen before. I know the teams have simulators, but no matter how good they are, they are never as good as the real thing. While GP2 prepares drivers for Formula 1, there should be a greater gap between the two series than just having different cars and more competition.

damonsmedley
    Participant

I sincerely hope they come to Melbourne. I’d love to see GP2 live. And the engines sound amazing.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I think they’re more likely to do some Asian rounds. Probably Shanghai and Bahrain. But I think Melbourne would be a good choice, because the event needs more of an international flavour to it. Right now, we have Formula 1 … and a whole host of national series. I can understand V8 Supercars, but I find Formula Ford, V8 Utes, the Carrera Cup and Touring Car Masters to be pretty boring.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.