• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

GP2

Public Group active 2 months ago

The group for GP2 fans.

2013 GP2 Round 1: Malaysia

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 67 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of disjunto
    disjunto
    Participant

The driving standards in GP2 are going downhill rapidly at the moment, and the penalties are just ad stupid.

Do have to wonder what Bird did that made Cecotto respond this way, not that it excuses his actions either way.

Profile photo of Matthew
    Matthew
    Participant

That incident is actually quite scary.

I feel quite unnerved watching it.

Fastest lap deletion is a terrible decision.

A race weekend ban and a hefty fine should have been the minimum.

If you have a problem with what a fellow driver does on the track surely some post session fisticuffs in the pits a la Schumacher/Coulthard is a safer option. Wink wink.

Profile photo of Jake
    Jake
    Participant

If he drives using the same attitude as Maldonado it probably wouldn’t have taken much from Bird. I suspect he was angry because he thinks everyone should just jump out the way because he is entitled to win. I suspect he will also deny any wrongdoing if asked, most likely claiming he lost control of the car. And yes, this does all sound very familiar.

What? Terrible driving standards in GP2 at the very first qualifying session?

I am shocked and stunned.

Profile photo of Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams
    Participant

Not over yet…

Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

Profile photo of disjunto
    disjunto
    Participant

http://www.twitter.com/sambirdracing/status/315063976029458434

Sounds like at least part of the drama is confirmed, at least the driver being penalised believes so. As always, GP2 is full of drama

Profile photo of Aditya F. Yahya
    Aditya F. Yahya
    Participant

first of all, happy to see my fellow countryman, Rio, back to top ten after horrible testing.
    and wtf was that with Cecotto? Looks like Bird already giving the space. For God’s sake, Sepang is wide as hell. why did he drive like that? I guess there is some trigger before this incident…

Profile photo of Bendanarama
    Bendanarama
    Participant

Has anyone seen precisely what it was Bird is meant to have done to deserve that grid drop? Farcical move by Cecotto.

Bendanarama
    Participant

Statement from GP2 (to answer my own question!)

Johnny Cecotto and Sam Bird have both been handed penalties after being involved in an incident during today’s qualifying session at Sepang International Circuit.
    It was found that between Turns 5 and 6, Cecotto was impeded by Bird during the Venezuelan’s fastest lap. As a reaction, the Arden driver deliberately forced the British driver off the track.
    In consequence, the stewards have decided to issue Bird with a three place grid penalty while Cecotto has been excluded from the results of Qualifying as his reaction to being impeded by another driver were deemed unacceptable .
    Bird will thus start from eighth place. Cecotto will start from the back of tomorrow’s Feature Race grid.

So looks like Cecotto is back of the grid, not just losing his fastest lap.

Profile photo of Ryan Williams
    Ryan Williams
    Participant

Partial justice served then. Still think the penalty for Bird is undeserved

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

Ok, exclusion from qualifying is a little better. In my opinion, a race ban would have been the right penalty.

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

That penalty sounds a lot better, I don’t think we saw Bird impeding Cecotto on television though so I hope the grid penalty is justified.

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

To be honest, I don’t think Cecotto’s actions should cancel out Bird’s penalty just because Cecotto was being an idiot. If you block someone you get a penalty, simple as that. Having said that, I haven’t seen the block and I don’t think anyone else has either.

Bendanarama
    Participant

To be honest, I don’t think Cecotto’s actions should cancel out Bird’s penalty just because Cecotto was being an idiot. If you block someone you get a penalty, simple as that. Having said that, I haven’t seen the block and I don’t think anyone else has either.

Very good point – if Bird blocked, then he deserves the penalty. unlike the stewards, we arent in the position to make an informed decision. Is the video actually showing them coming off turn 5/6?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.