Formula Two

2013 GP2 Round 2: Bahrain

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    andae23
    Participant

Practice is coming up in about fifteen minutes time, so I thought I’d start this thread.

Driver changes: Rossi replaces Ma Qing at Caterham and Frijns replaces Daly at Hilmer.

Two very interesting driver changes there, though I’m disappointed to see Daly go.

AdrianMorse
    Participant

Can somebody explain the tyre strategy of GP2 to me? I think that have four sets of tyres, how do they use them? In particular, when do they typically re-use the set from Friday morning practice?

andae23
    Participant

@adrianmorse Theys have four sets (two prime, two option) they can use during qualifying and the two races. The fifth set of primes is used during practice and has to be given back to Pirelli at the end of that session: more info here. I’m actually not 100% sure how they use the tyres during the weekend: I usually just go with it :P

andae23
    Participant

Practice result: Leimer over a second clear over the rest of the competition.

AdrianMorse
    Participant

Thanks, @andae23, I didn’t know they had a set just for practice. Has that always been the case? I seem to remember one or two years ago Lotus hardly doing any running in free practice in Bahrain, and then paying the price for it by disappointing in qualifying.

andae23
    Participant

Could be, no idea actually

andae23
    Participant

Staggering performance by Leimer!! Here’s the result:
    http://twitter.com/GP2_Official/status/325240299226017792
    Qualifying reportResults

For the second weekend in a row we saw a driver using his car as a weapon: I hope Canamasas will get a penalty for that.

wsrgo
    Participant

Fabio Leimer on pole for tomorrow’s feature race, ahead of Marcus Ericsson, Felipe Nasr, Stefano Coletti, Tom Dillmann, Stephane Richelmi, Alex Rossi, Adrian Quaife-Hobbs, Sam Bird and Robin Frijns.

Force Maikel
    Participant

Great driving by Leimer, that’s how you destroy the opposition. Robin Frijns in P10, phew he put together a nice string of laps and could have been even higer up had he not blown his third lap because he was very close on Leimers first time. I tell you this kid deserves a full year in GP2.

Alfie
    Participant

Blimey, that’s a mighty margin, especially given it’s a spec speries.

Roald
    Participant

Fantastic to see my fellow Dutchman Frijns do so well again. Qualified P10 during his first GP2 weekend while his teammate qualified 24th. How can I not support this guy after everything he’s shown us through the years? He needs to drive GP2 the entire season though, show Formula 1 teams just how fast he actually is. Never fails to impress, just doesn’t have quite the budget. Which is annoying to me, because Randstad have been sponsoring Williams for years, why don’t they just get behind someone talented like Frijns? Annoys me to no end, but nothing to be done about it. Here’s hoping he won’t have a Verstappen-esque career though…

Nick
    Participant

I was pretty downbeat about Frijns after this morning’s session, but qualifying in p10? Damn, if he manages a good points haul, my doubts about him doing GP2 being the right thing are over.

andae23
    Participant

I must admit, I was really worried for Frijns after practice and his first run in quali, but somehow he managed to pull it together during his second stint – no doubt he could have gone faster though. I hope Hilmer will realize Frijns could be a real team leader, but I fear Hilmer just doesn’t have the capability to challenge for victory yet.

andae23
    Participant

Justice has prevailed: Canamasas has been excluded from qualifying after he deliberately forced Ceccon to the edge of the track. Last time out, Cecotto Jr. was also excluded from qualfying after doing the same to Bird.

Canamasas has made quite a name for himself: he shoved Trummer into the barrier at last year’s Hungary feature race (just metres from where I was standing). At the Belgian race, he almost pressed a driver into the wall just after La Source (can’t remember which driver it was) and in Singapore’s feature race he ignored a black flag.

http://www.gp2series.com/News-Room/News/2013/04_April/Canamasas-excluded-from-Bahrain-qualifying/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.