Formula Two

2014 GP2 calendar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The 2014 GP2 and GP3 calendars have not been announced, but during the podium celebrations in Abu Dhabi, it was revealed that both categories will be racing at all of the European venues next year, which includes Russia and Austria:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111121

wsrgo
    Participant

Good news. Hopefully it’ll save the extra expenditure and logistics required for hopping to Southeast Asia…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If they’re following all of the European rounds, then I imagine two Asian races would have to go, because two European races are being added.

Personally, I’d keep Abu Dhabi. Despite its poor reputation in Formula 1, it has produced fantastic racing in GP2. I’d drop Sepang and Bahrain to give the teams more time to prepare, and start the season in Spain (though as it’s more advanced than GP3, I do like the idea of the championship starting before GP3 and finishing after them).

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have no problems with GP2 and GP3 starting together in Spain, it’s like the European season is a mini-season inside the main F1 one and that’s when the two feeder series accompany F1. But if GP3 visits all European tracks, either GP2 and GP3 have the same length or I think both Singapore and Abu Dhabi will remain for GP2.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The problem with those international rounds is that they pushed costs right up. It was really obvious last year, when most of the grid were paying for the privilege of racing. There was a lot more talent involved this year, so it was less of a problem, but the races in Malaysia and Singapore in particular must really burn holes in pockets.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

They did keep the current car for 3 more years to try and keep down costs. I wonder what an increase in the amount of races would do to that… Also, I like the sound of GP3 being 1/3 of the calendar, with GP2 at 2/3 of the calendar. There is a clear progression there.

I agree with the thread, but seeing a calendar of Malaysia, Bahrain, Spain, Monaco, Britain, Austria, Germany, Hungary, Spa, Monza, Singapore, Russia and Abu Dhabi, with Pre and post season testing, and minus the extra travel for GP3, sounds perfect to me. If only there was a little more money going to the teams to select their 3 drivers on merit (Still leaving room for FR3.5 of course)..

The calendar would feel better with Sochi before Singapore, flow wise (and Britain before Austria), but there’s my (lack of) rationale for ya. But surely with rumours of NJ and Mexico postponed until 2015, surely the F1 calendar for 2014 should simply revert to 2013, with Russia replacing India. That would give Russia an extra few weeks to get Sochi ready as well, if only a few days after to make the trip to Abu Dhabi.

wsrgo
    Participant

wsrgo
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive

Strange. The Malaysian GP is scheduled to be on March 30th, and the Bahrain GP is on the 6th of April. Either GP2 will wait two weeks in Bahrain for the Formula 1 paddock to join and start their season there, or it will start the season in Malaysia one week later to then return in Bahrain for round 2. The latter would be incredibly stupid and against their cost-saving policy.

wsrgo
    Participant

@fixy the former seems to be the case. Malaysia will probably be axed, as Sochi will be hosting GP2 in 2014. I expect either of Singapore or Abu Dhabi to go too, to be replaced by Spielberg, though I’m not sure on that.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@wsrgo I wonder if the Austrian GP2 race would depend on the Austrian authorities loosening up some of the noise limits rules on the track. Such things have killed tracks like Mallory Park here in the UK, and it is basically impossible for the track to be profitable with such a restricted running schedule.

Sounds like Malaysia will be axed for cost-saving, @fixy. Surely Singapore would be more expensive to go to than Abu Dhabi? And if they are testing there pre-season, there must be a race there (else just have two tests in Bahrain and keep them happy).

Testing at Abu Dhabi, Bahrain
    1. Bahrain
    2. Spain
    3. Monaco
    4. Britain (maybe adding in Austria as well to make 11 rounds at little extra cost)
    5. Germany
    6. Hungary
    7. Belgium
    8. Italy
    9. Russia
    10. Abu Dhabi

So is a calendar of 10/11 races expected for 2014? Less travel might help keep costs down to under £2 million per season, along with running the same cars once more. Same calendar for GP3, but without the middle eastern countries?

wsrgo
    Participant

@fastiesty Didn’t know about Spielberg, if true that might scupper any chances of hosting a race filled with 4 litre monsters. Maybe a double header at the same venue, a la Bahrain 2012?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I hope not! If it was announced on the podium, maybe they have already taken care of that issue… Would Austria/local govt. really take a stand on this issue over RB/Mateschitz wanting to bring the GP world to Austria, and the inward investment that that brings? There is such a picturesque scenery around the track too. A perfect advertisement for the country.

wsrgo
    Participant
    wsrgo
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.