Formula Two

2017 F2 drivers and teams

• This topic has 37 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

No surprises who everyone wants to drive for next year: GP3 champion Charles Leclerc and Antonio Fuoco, both Ferrari Driver Academy members, head straight for Prema:

hunocsi
    Participant

Sergio Sette Camara has been announced for MP Motorsport as well.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

Autosport claims Oliver Rowland set for DAMS and Jordan King to test for MP Motorsport.

WheelToWheel
    Participant

http://www.paddockscout.com/ferraris-leclerc-and-fuoco-get-prema-gp2-seats/35805 – read to the bottom, Deletraz and Malja set for RE 2017

http://www.italiaracing.net/newsint.aspx?id=225643&cat=4 – gelael, giovinazzi and ghiotto could all join arden

Testing has begun today and the Ferrari-backed pair have a cracking livery on their Prema cars:

Antonio Fuoco, Prema, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Charles Leclerc, Prema, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Antonio Fuoco, Charles Leclerc, Prema, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Antonio Fuoco, Charles Leclerc, Prema, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

A few more pictures from testing:

Alex Palou, Campos, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Alex Palou, Campos, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Egor Orudzhev, Campos, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Egor Orudzhev, Campos, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Salvatore DePlano, MP, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Salvatore DePlano, MP, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Mahaveer Raghunathan, Carlin, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Mahaveer Raghunathan, Carlin, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Sergio Sette Camara, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Sergio Sette Camara, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Alexander Albon, ART, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Alexander Albon, ART, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

Sean Gelael, Arden, GP2, 2016
    Sean Gelael, Arden, GP2, 2016

And a few more. Just love that Prema livery. Like a 2007 Ferrari:

Felix Serrales, Carlin, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016
    Felix Serrales, Carlin, Yas Marina, GP2, 2016

hunocsi
    Participant

Nice to see Orudzhev still sporting his “salute the MILF” helmet…

@hunocsi Yeah I noticed that mid-commentary at one point this season and thought it best not to call attention to it!

Speaking of which, his Formula V8 3.5 rival Louis Deletraz has landed a seat at Racing Engineering alongside Gustav Malja:

Racing Engineering are pleased to announce that Louis Delétraz will be driving alongside Gustav Malja for the 2017 GP2 Series, the 19-year-old Swiss will driving for the Spanish team for his first full season in GP2.

Louis started racing karts in his native Switzerland in 2008 before switching to single-seaters four years later when he competed in the final round of the Formula BMW Talent Cup. In the following year, 2013 aged just sixteen, he moved up to Formula Renault 2.0 NEC and in his second year in this class he showed his future potential when he finished as runner-up in the 2014 series after winning at Monza and taking four other podium finishes.

In 2015 Louis completed a third year in Formula Renault 2.0 NEC where he dominated the series by taking nine wins in sixteen races to win the championship. He also raced in the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0 and he finished runner-up with three wins in a very hard fought season. He then graduated to the Formula Renault 3.5 Series competing in just one race but in 2016 he raced in the, now renamed, Formula V8 3.5 Series where he took a dominant victory in the ‘Rookie of the Year’ class and wins at Alcañiz and Paul Ricard together with seven other podium places saw him finish the year as runner-up in the Championship.

Louis made his GP2 debut in the final round of the 2016 Series at Abu Dhabi. He then joined with Racing Engineering for the three days of post-season testing at Abu Dhabi, he quickly adapted to the team setting some very quick laps including being second fastest on the morning of the final session.

Team Comments:

Alfonso de Orléans-Borbón, President of Racing Engineering: “We are pleased to announce that Louis is joining Racing Engineering for the 2017 season. Having closely foll! owed his steps since his early years in karting, we are convinced that although 2017 will be his rookie season in GP2, he will quickly adapt to the championship. We first evaluated Louis on our simulator in 2015 and were in close contact with him during the 2016 season to have insight with his progress as a racing driver. Having tested him in Abu Dhabi during the post-season testing earlier this month, it has allowed us to see how much he was able to learn and mature during the last year, which is very promising keeping in mind that he is only 19 years old. The Swiss drivers that we worked with in the past , like Sébastien Buemi, Neel Jani and our 2013 GP2 champion, Fabio Leimer have all achieved great success. We hope to prolong this connection with Louis.”

Louis Delétraz: “GP2 is where I want to be in 2017 since after the strong season in Formula V8, it’s the natural next step in my career. It’s the final category before reaching Formula One and getting to F1 is my primary goal. Racing Engineering are a good team and have produced some top results during the last five years. For me, there’s no better option and I am very happy with the choice. As a rookie, I’ll have much to learn during the next season. We all know that the most difficult point in GP2 is learning the Pirelli tyres, so it’s very important to gave a good team behind you so they can help you as a driver and work well together. To get the deal sorted before the 2017 season even begins is excellent news because it allows us all to form a good partnership and to make sure that we all know! what we’re doing. We worked very well together during the three-day test in Abu Dhabi, so I really think we can get some good results in 2017.”

hunocsi
    Participant

I don’t know when he started wearing it, but he’s had it for quite a while now… And the World Series by Renault people didn’t have a problem with it!

Manox
    Participant

Any driver you are hoping to join Gp2 next season? for me it was Leclerc

hunocsi
    Participant

@marussi He was already announced at Prema, see the first post by Keith :) Sticking with Orudzhev, I would like to see him in GP2, last year he looked very promising in WSR. I haven’t followed the series this year but by the results he seems to have improved further, and I think his driving style would suit GP2.

Manox
    Participant

Oh i forgot to say that i was pleased with leclerc already in gp2 my bad. :). Is it someone more that looks promising from wsr? Sweden did not send The series this year

MattyPF1
    Participant

I’d be disappointed if Alex Albon, Giovanassi, Ghiotto, Mathieu Vaxiviere and Roy Nissany (this one is up for debate but i thought he done well in Formula V8 3.5 this year) aren’t on the grid next year. For me they’re the ones with the most potiential to do great

MattyPF1
    Participant

Oh and of course Orudzhev as well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.