Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton

GP2

Public Group active 2 days, 13 hours ago

The group for GP2 fans.

GP2 2014 teams and drivers

This topic contains 201 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Araqiel Araqiel 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 202 total)
  • Author
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, interesting news. Surely a contender for those top 8 grid slots on a regular basis. But, the late season Coletti we saw last year was outside of that. So, only 3 ‘backmarker’ seats left.. Do we have any idea who is in the frame for them? You’d think it’d be well funded drivers, but I thought Manor really wanted to get Tio Ellinas into GP2.. alongside Daniel de Jong at MP. Perhaps just F1 reserve work for Tio then..

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

We have a Conor Daly watch back in effect for the upcoming test at Abu Dhabi:

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Good news for Conor, he’s been looking for anything he can hang on to, and would be a good addition to GP2 IMO. He needs to stick around until the Haas operation gets going.. his ties to Force India may be usurped by Regalia and Juncadella. If not.. then even getting a seat in Indycars also looks tough at the current time.

SP
    Participant

Well he did move to the F1 ladder, so it makes sense to step up to GP2. I don’t see the competition for Indycar seats dying down next year either, with the likes of Matthew Brabham potentially graduating from Indy Lights.

Roy Kartadinata
    Participant

Very promising start of the 2014 season by the Caterham duo .. both on top of the morning test session.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Day 2 order:
    1) Palmer
    2) Richelmi
    3) Lancaster
    4) Sato
    5) Evans
    6) Haryanto
    7) Rossi
    8) Nasr
    9) Cecotto
    10) Daly
    12) Marciello
    15) Vandoorne

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

So far, nothing unexpected, although Palmer looks strong. Richelmi as #2 is tenths off each time. Izawa managed to get to 0.4 off Vandoorne yesterday, but was 1.7 seconds off today. Evans leads at Russian Time; Markelov will take some time to get up to speed. Nasr generally leads Leal by a tenth or so (but a lot more on the fastest day). Abt looks stronger, but was generally matched with Regalia, who has somehow flipped Daly over today with contact. Racing Engineering haven’t shown front running pace yet, but Lancaster has done well, with de Jong only getting 6 laps on day one. Negrao is showing well in the Arden, while Rapax have been near the rear consistently. Pic looked good, and now Sato is fast on day 2. Cecotto is looking strong again, while his rookie team-mate is probably learning the car right now. Not sure on Caterham just yet, on how much they have moved forwards, while Lazarus is probably near the rear, still.

We’ll have to see who was sandbagging or not come race 1!

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

If Daly makes it into GP2, then the selection of teams with seats on offer means that his only real hope is to try and beat Alexander Rossi to attract American sponsors.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

I’m surprised Izawa isn’t as horrible as I expected him to be. Given his background and his age, eleventh is fairly respectable.

And pictures on the GP2 Series website show that he is backed by Honda and their Formula Dream project (which I thought had folded years ago).

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

If EQ8 Caterham’s testing pace translates into the 2014 season, Rossi might win the title this year. Good grief.

Miguel
    Participant

GP2 series is starting oficially today, who are the favorites to win this year? I think it is between Coletti, Palmer and Nasr. Last year I was supporting Sam Bird who is my favorite driver, he is now competing in WEC and has plans to be in Formula E. Leimer is going to race in 24 hours Le Mans with Rebellion Racing – LMP1.

Since Dillmann is out of GP2, this year I will be supporting Coletti, he showed a very good pace last year. Vandoorne and Marciello won’t be so overwhelming as everybody thinks.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

Seeing as how Coletti managed to throw it away so spectacularly last season, I’d be almost certain he won’t win. Losing a Championship like that has to damage you mentally, although fair play to him for coming back for another crack.

I think the fight for the title this year is between Jolyon Palmer, Mitch Evans, Jon Lancaster, Alexander Rossi, Rio Haryanto and Felipe Nasr, although if the Caterham’s pace in the final test is anything to go by it could well be just Haryanto vs Rossi.

Also, I agree with you about Vandoorne and Marciello. They may be talents, but then there are other talents in there too who have experience, which has proved in recent years to be a key aspect. I thing they’ll do well, picking up points and podiums, possibly the odd win, but I think a Championship in year one is beyond either of them.

To narrow it down from my list I’d say Palmer, Lancaster or Rossi, but I can’t really go any further, unless the Caterham is as quick as it looked in the final test, in which case Rossi.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, practice in Bahrain has left a top 3 of Evans, Marciello and Vandoorne, with Nasr’s best times being hindered by a slide and a red flag, and Rossi similarly going off track. The other ‘top cars’ are there with Palmer, Richelmi and Leal not far back. Coletti and other experienced drivers being just outside the top ten. I hope there is more pace to come from Lancaster and Daly once they get more running. Hopefully the championship can be down to that ‘top 5′ of talent, with some other fast guys getting into the other last 3 top 8 spots.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Evans, Vandoorne, Marciello, Abt, Richelmi, Haryanto (faster than Frijns today), Negrao, Palmer, Trummer, and Daly were your Top 10, separated by a half-second. Top 20 were separated by a few thousandths more a second. This is getting good.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Well, Markelov just showed his inexperience by spinning the car on T1 out of the pits! He should really be in GP3 this year.. but if you have a chance to advance you should just grab it. Vandoorne was comfortably fastest in the first half of qualifying but overcooked it in the last corner and went off, losing four tenths to get second.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 202 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.