Formula Two

GP2 and GP3 to be shown live on Sky F1 channel

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Sky have confirmed they will broadcast GP2 and GP3 live on their F1 channel in 2012:

Sky Sports viewers will get a glimpse into the future of motorsport with live coverage of the GP2 and GP3 series on Sky Sports F1 HD.

Coverage will complement the Formula 1 programming on the channel, offering UK and Irish motor racing fans even more racing. Subscribers can also watch online or on tablet and mobile devices with Sky Go at no extra charge.

Sky Sports F1 HD’s weekly magazine show, presented by Georgie Thompson and Ted Kravitz, will also provide coverage, analysis and discussion of the races which follow the Formula 1 World Championship across the world to the likes of Monaco, Monza and Silverstone, Spa and Singapore.

Executive Producer Martin Turner said: “We are delighted to be showing GP2 and GP3 live on Sky Sports F1 HD. There are six former GP2 champions in Formula 1 this season, including Lewis Hamilton and last year’s winner Romain Grosjean. The series promises nail-biting and fascinating racing and we’ll track gifted drivers through the ranks as they aim for Formula 1.”

Like Formula 1, GP2 and GP3 cars are single seaters. The two series share constructors, engine manufacturers and tyre suppliers, although GP2 cars are bigger and faster, with larger, more powerful engines. GP3 is seen as a feeder series to GP2, generating exciting wheel-to-wheel racing. Last season’s GP3 champion Valtteri Bottas is currently a Williams F1 test driver.

The 12-round 2012 GP2 series will begin in Malaysia on 23 – 25 March and follows a global circuit through 10 countries. Sky Sports F1 HD will show the two races per weekend; a feature race and a shorter sprint race.

Current GP2 series team champions Barwa Addax will be looking to retain their title with two new drivers starting on the grid in the 2012 season. With 2011 GP2 Drivers champion Romain Grosjean moving to Formula 1 in 2012 to race alongside Kimi Raikonnen for Lotus team, the 13 teams and 26 drivers will battle to find a new champion this season.

The GP3 series circuit moves around European race tracks in eight rounds, and ten teams will race both feature and sprint races on consecutive days. This coming 2012 season, the team behind the newly-named Lotus GP will be looking to make it three out of three seasons at the top of both the driver and team podiums and emerge double champions yet again.

javacofe
    Participant

awwwwwwsome!

damonsmedley
    Participant

Finally, the series is getting the coverage it deserves. I hope this boosts its popularity and people will start talking about it more, because it really is an incredibly exciting category to watch.

robk23
    Participant

I’ve only watched one GP2 race live and that was from the stands at Silverstone last year. This certainly makes the Sky HD package better value for money and now I’m seriously tempted!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if they will also show the Porsche Supercup?

McLarenFanJamm
    Participant

I think it’s fantastic news, but I don’t think it’s going to be enough to convince people who don’t want to subscribe.

Although you would be paying for 50 races instead of 10.

GeorgeDaviesF1
    Participant

Does make me want to sell my soul a little bit more, Commentators?

OpenWheel33
    Participant

It certainly is a move in the right direction. Just hope the non-race features are worth while.

moshbeard

As much as I want to be angry about the whole Sky thing they’re making the whole thing seem like a pretty positive move.

Cryptowillem
    Participant

That’s super exciting! Alas, I’m in Canada, and won’t be subscribing to Sky any time soon, but I’m certain some kind soul will put the broadcasts on the internet for me :P

graham228221
    Participant

SOLD – signed up to Sky today, totally worth it IMHO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.