Formula Two

GP2 Bahrain support races

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

Pretty frantic race, would you agree?! I thought Cecotto made a brilliant start but it’s a shame he got a little hot headed with Nasr and decided to go for a line that was always going to be a bit tight. While the SC didn’t afford us the opportunity for a lead challenge it did make for a great battle for the last position on the podium. A cracking move followed from Gutierrez which seemed to defy all logic of not being able to overtake off the racing line through hundreds of marbles, I was pretty stunned.

Should make for a pretty good race tomorrow as well with Valsecchi, Razia and Gutierrez starting 8th, 7th and 6th respectively.

Tom L.
    Participant

I was surprised to see that Nasr has been given a grid penalty for race 2 following the collision with Cecotto. It looked to me as if Cecotto had gone for a hit-or-miss lunge (in every sense of the term!) and it hadn’t paid off… but the authorities, with the benefit of extra video footage presumably, have decided otherwise.
    I guess it has to go down as a racing incident… it’s a bit like the Hamilton vs Schumacher/Maldonado overtakes at Monaco last year. There are some drivers who you can rely on to give you the room when you try those moves, and others who will shut the door. And Cecotto and Nasr, for all their speed and competitive spirit, probably aren’t the “wise old heads” of the field!

I was also surprised to hear of Nasr penalty – like you, I wondered if there was something I hadn’t seen, because it seemed to me he was the innocent victim of some ham-fisted driving by Cecotto, who’d already gotten physical once or twice in the laps prior to the crash.

Couldn’t find any video of the Nasr/Cecotto hi-jinx, but here’s Melker’s tyre de-laminiation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKqwksos9GA

Joel Holland
    Participant

It’s confusing enough seeing Cecotto near the sharp end.

Word for Brendon Hartley: turn up late, qualify at the back but score points in the feature race. I’m not saying he’s world class, but the guy has the ability to be a very solid professional racing driver.

mildertduck
    Participant

I thought it looked a bit more like a Cecotto penalty too, but there you go. Exciting race, and some fantastic overtaking. Looking forward to tomorrow’s now! :)

Bullfrog
    Participant

Does GP2 have the same stewards as F1? Who’s the lucky ex-driver who gets to be a steward in Bahrain?

If they all drive as well as they did in the Grand Prix last week there’ll be no need for investigations…but what are the chances of that?!

Kingshark
    Participant

Sad to say that Valsecchi’s GP2 glory days have came a little too late. Nobody wants to be a veteran in GP2.

d3v0
    Participant

Unbelievable that grid drop they gave to Nasr. Cecotto made a rubbish move that LH made about 8 times last season and was penalized each time for it – how did Cecotta get away with it? Especially after pulling a Schumacher on Barrichello 2010 push off the track on Gutierrez? Absolutely astounding.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

@d3v0 – It’s a conspiracy. Hugo Chavez paid off the race officials to favour Venezuelan drivers. This is because he wants a Venezuelan Grand Prix, but needs as many successful Venezuelan drivers as possible to make it happen. He’s also forcing Bernie and the FIA to race in Bahrain so that a race in Venezuela won’t seem so bad in comparison. In fact, he’s also paying off both the government and the protesters to make Bahrain dangerous in the first place. He also made Bahrain. Before 2004, Bahrain did not exist. Hugo Chavez built it, and everything on it. It’s a far-reaching trillion-dollar decade-long intercontinental conspiracy to get a race in Venezuela, that is so ridiculous that there is no way I could have made it up just now.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

@prisoner-monkeys Have you been drinking?! ;)

Yeah, the Nasr penalty is a funny one. It was rather too tight for Cecotto to expect to get through unscathed. Race 2 about to start in a few minutes.

Tom L.
    Participant

Very solid drive from Valsecchi, didn’t wear out his tyres early on while battling around the P5/6 area and then was able to push at the end. The penalty on Leimer was harsh in my view; I don’t think Valsecchi would have been able to catch him had he stayed in the lead. Impressive recovery drive from Nasr, too.

There are quite a few guys who’ve been in GP2 a good few seasons now, for whom this year is really a last-chance saloon if they’re going to make it to F1. Valsecchi and Razia are two of them, and they are doing a good job. Leimer is there or thereabouts; with a bit more luck/judgement he could be right in the championship battle. Van der Garde has been solid but unspectacular; Coletti has been rather hit-or-miss; and Ericsson seems to have slipped into midfield obscurity. Chilton has put in some much-improved showings and convinced me at least that he deserves his place on the grid, but seems to lack that cutting edge. Circumspection is a rare quality in young drivers but Chilton always seems to be lining up moves he never actually makes. He could have beaten Calado today.

Tom L.
    Participant

Oh and here’s a video of Cecotto and Nasr:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvP9VFk6hMQ

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

You’re a dolt, Johnny.

Bradley Downton
    Participant

That was a very enjoyable race this this morning, let’s hope the F1 lives up to it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.