Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

GP3

Public Group active 3 weeks, 5 days ago

Group for fans of GP3.

GP3 2013

This topic contains 189 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Fixy Fixy 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 190 total)
  • Author

Are the GP3 stewards the same as the F1 stewards?

Simon Asquith
    Participant

No there are separate stewards for the support races.

Simon Asquith
    Participant

And we’re at the German Grand Prix, it was a long day of travelling yesterday to get here but worth it as this morning we did the track walk. Usually the trck walk for gp3 and gp2 are separate to that of formula one but it was a nice surprise this morning to be walking the track with Roman Grosjean, Heiki Kovalinen, Paul di Resta and Max Chilton, as well as Dino Zamparelli and Tio Ellinas of Marussia Manor Raing.

The weather at the Nürburgring is notoriously dynamic, but fortunately we were lucky enough to be walking the five kilometre circuit in the sunshine just finishing as heavy black clouds dominate the sky above the circuit.

One thing that as a racing fan I didn’t realise about the Nürburgring from the television is e extreme camber of many of the corners. Even just walking the track you a drawn into walking the racing line and following hitting the apex with the camber.

We are looking forward to a good weekend of racing. Qualifying is going to be very important here as it is a fairly narrow track with some of the the team bosses remarking it could do with being a little wider to encourage overtaking, however it’s still a great track and should bring out some fine overtakes.

Simon Asquith
    Participant

An interesting practice session dominated by Sims, his first time in the GP3 car and he storms to claiming the fastest time out on track. Lichenstein comes a close second just a hundredth of off Sims and Zamparelli in 3rd, th first time this season he has out paced his more experienced GP3 team mate Tio Ellinas.

It was initially a battle between Sainz Jr (his famous rally driver father watching on from the GP3 hospitality tent) and Williamson in the Bamboo. Sainz spurred on by the promise of a seat at the young driver test pushed hard but Williamson easily matched his pace and bettered it. It looked set to be a battle between the two but as the track developed and the cars became optimised for conditions the time sheets lit up with a whole host of different drivers moving up the table.

However, of course, it was no surprise to see Carmen Jorda floundering at the bottom some 6 seconds of off the pace.

The final few minutes became very exciting as Zamparelli started setting the fastest first sector times, and Sims the second and third. Zamparelli’s blistering first sector pace was unfortunately balanced with his final sector being just 2 tenths of off Sims and ultimately denied him the top spot on the time sheets. It was fantastic to see the Anglo-Italian fighting for the fastest time after an unfortunate Silverstone weekend, gladly it was nice to see that a poor weekend also time out hadn’t dampened his spirits, and if anything he was ready to really show his worth on the track.

Although this really wasn’t the most intriguing part of the practice session, it was Sims’ pace. In a car that in previous races had seemed like it had a fundamental flaw, he shone whilst Webster hung limply close to the bottom showing that the team has the pace, but, until this weekend, not the right drivers.

wsrgo
    Participant

5 Brits in the top 6? Well, that is interesting..

Simon Asquith
    Participant

It was an interesting qualifying from start to finish. Regalia delivered on his promise of a pole position this weekend and Tio Ellinas on only his first time racing at this circuit put in a superb performance in his Marussia Manor car.

Times fell over a second from yesterday’s fastest times as the track temperature was warmer with a clear blue sky overhead and from the previous days rubber.

Alex Fontana went third in the Jenzer and yes you guessed it floundering at the bottom of the table like a fish out of water was Carmen Jorda the Spanish stunner was stunningly slow…again.

The cars, however, we’re quick, lap times were down by 5 seconds on last years cars making the times incredibly competitive and thus qualifying very enjoyable. I’m certainly looking forward to the race, especially with the drop off at turn one things could get very interesting.

Follow me on twitter at @GranvilleWolfe

the_sigman
    Participant

@paddocksi Do you mean the cars were 5 seconds faster than 2011 (ok, same car with 2012), right? No Nurburgring last year ;)

Simon Asquith
    Participant

@the_sigman correct, sorry for my mistake there

wsrgo
    Participant

@paddocksi

floundering at the bottom of the table like a fish out of water was Carmen Jorda the Spanish stunner was stunningly slow…again.

LOL

Simon Asquith
    Participant

An interesting race yesterday and a good strong performance from Regalia who disappeared after the safety car and took a comfortable victory.

The top 8 pretty much remained the same through out the race Bly changing when Kvyat’s car stopped out on track and Korjus relieved a drive through penalty.

Meanwhile, behind the front runners, Zamparelli seemed like the only driver interest in overtaking as he moved up from 16th to 10th in the first lap, getting a lightening start and moving up into the points.

Jack Harvey showed at ARTs good run of form continued but he was unfortunate not to be able to get past Ellinas to take second. Overtaking during the race seems to be a big issue this year. As the cars have incised in power and downforce over last years car the ability to overtake has decrease. A higher downforce has caused greater turbulence behind causing any car chasing down a slower car to loose front downforce and to slide around a lot more loosing tyre grip and speed into the corners.

At the back of the field on the first lap Sa Silva took out Lichenstein into the hairpin in spectacular fashion as the Carlin driver went onto the grass and side swiped the unfortunate Lichenstein. And at the final hairpin Eriksson collider with Webster almost tipped Webster’s car 90 degrees, the Carnot the Tarmac with a thump that complete bent the back of the car. Webster was taken to hospital for cautionary checks but he has been cleared to race in race two.

And where did Jorda finish I hear you ask? She didn’t she was black flagged. She failed to serve a drive through penalty and was subsequently shown the black. Although after only two laps after the safety car restart he was a good 8 seconds off of the back of the group. One can only presume that she is paying much over the 750,000 full amount fee for a GP3 seat to remain in the series. (I should be a little more careful about Jorda, she was sat behind me yesterday after qualifying)

So what can we expect from race 2. Sims starts on pole wi McKee alongside. I see Sims running off with this one as long as there is no contact at turn 1 it should be a pretty standard race upfront. With any action oping from the back of the field. I’m interested to see how Daly does starting from 10th as he does seem able to really hook together the start.

Simon Asquith
    Participant

An interesting race yesterday and a good strong performance from Regalia who disappeared after the safety car and took a comfortable victory.

The top 8 pretty much remained the same through out the race Bly changing when Kvyat’s car stopped out on track and Korjus relieved a drive through penalty.

Meanwhile, behind the front runners, Zamparelli seemed like the only driver interest in overtaking as he moved up from 16th to 10th in the first lap, getting a lightening start and moving up into the points.

Jack Harvey showed at ARTs good run of form continued but he was unfortunate not to be able to get past Ellinas to take second. Overtaking during the race seems to be a big issue this year. As the cars have incised in power and downforce over last years car the ability to overtake has decrease. A higher downforce has caused greater turbulence behind causing any car chasing down a slower car to loose front downforce and to slide around a lot more loosing tyre grip and speed into the corners.

At the back of the field on the first lap Sa Silva took out Lichenstein into the hairpin in spectacular fashion as the Carlin driver went onto the grass and side swiped the unfortunate Lichenstein. And at the final hairpin Eriksson collider with Webster almost tipped Webster’s car 90 degrees, the Carnot the Tarmac with a thump that complete bent the back of the car. Webster was taken to hospital for cautionary checks but he has been cleared to race in race two.

And where did Jorda finish I hear you ask? She didn’t she was black flagged. She failed to serve a drive through penalty and was subsequently shown the black. Although after only two laps after the safety car restart he was a good 8 seconds off of the back of the group. One can only presume that she is paying much over the 750,000 full amount fee for a GP3 seat to remain in the series. (I should be a little more careful about Jorda, she was sat behind me yesterday after qualifying)

So what can we expect from race 2. Sims starts on pole wi McKee alongside. I see Sims running off with this one as long as there is no contact at turn 1 it should be a pretty standard race upfront. With any action oping from the back of the field. I’m interested to see how Daly does starting from 10th as he does seem able to really hook together the start.

the_sigman
    Participant

Nice race today!

andae23
    Participant
    wsrgo
    Participant

Koiranen’s got a strange sense of humour..

andae23
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.