Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

GP3

Public Group active 1 month, 1 week ago

Group for fans of GP3.

GP3 2014 teams and drivers

This topic contains 67 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Araqiel Araqiel 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Thing is, in most cases the race winner in a European junior series starts from pole and hotlaps off into the distance for the win. What racecraft (actual wheel-to-wheel racing skill) is he or she learning there? Why do you think we see drivers in GP2/GP3 with issues racing cleanly in traffic? (or in F1, Romain Grosjean being a case in point)

Compare that to these sprints, with a better power-to-weight ratio (depending on the exact variant) than 95% of formula cars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tvzBkyVEko

Back on topic, I see Dino Zamparelli will switch to ART for this season: http://www.gpupdate.net/en/autosport-news/306674/zamparelli-switches-to-art-for-2014-season/

Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

Reigning German F3 champion Marvin Kirchhofer will drive for ART in GP3. Link here.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Phew @wsrgo!

Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

Phew indeed, @fastiesty . And it’s a top drive too, he might be able to fight for wins in his first GP3 season.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Indeed.. it could even be said that it’s between him and Lynn at the moment, Kvyat style.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Given his inexperience in single-seaters, and being thrown into Euro/British F3, I think Jann has done well – lets see how far he can continue to grow in 2014. This is no doubt also what Red Bull are wanting to evaluate – Marko does like his development curves… which is why I think Gasly is the current dark horse to replace Vergne. Lynn also has a chance, if he bosses GP3 and Sainz Jr and Gasly can’t boss FR 3.5.

Mardenborough also looks like a mini-Lewis Hamilton, which is a peculiar co-incidence, but could also be good for marketing (alongside his ‘gamer to racer’ profile), hence Visser being tried out last year. But her development in ADAC Masters flattened out – so her and O’Keeffe were both dropped. Jann is similar to Bruno Senna – he’s gone without Karting for 12 years (after a few years’ youthful experience), and started racing again at 21 – so we (and RB) have a similar situation to compare him with, to see how well he is doing.

I’m worried for Kirchhofer – he’s who we really wanted to see mixing it up at the front of GP3 in 2014. Dillmann, Markelov, Eriksson and Pommer are also now unsure of their seats for 2014, which were pretty much secured – but if Kirchhofer goes without a seat, that will be terrible indeed. It also makes Lynn’s job for 2014 much easier..

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Just to explain my post popping up, Keith fixed it for me after it wouldn’t show up 3 weeks ago.

@jb001 I can agree – pole to win each race just shows you are ready to move up a level. Grosjean is a top talent but still took time to adapt to F1 and racing in traffic. Now he has seen a sport psychologist, he is a lot better.

I may think Lynn and Kirchhofer will be duking it out at the front, but there will be some competition from behind as well, in the returning drivers. Fontana, Zamparelli, Visoiu and especially Niederhauser (and hopefully McKee) are all well placed to make a step up to the front of the grid (and we’ll see if Yelloly can stay there in a Status GP car).

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I’m worried for Kirchhofer – he’s who we really wanted to see mixing it up at the front of GP3 in 2014. Dillmann, Markelov, Eriksson and Pommer are also now unsure of their seats for 2014, which were pretty much secured – but if Kirchhofer goes without a seat, that will be terrible indeed. It also makes Lynn’s job for 2014 much easier..

Profile photo of Bosley
    Bosley
    Participant

Really happy for Dino for getting a 2nd year in the series.
    He had a rather lacklustre season last year but something about him makes me think he’ll flourish at ART.

Either that or I’m going to look like an idiot at the end of the year.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

For some reason, this wouldn’t post on the forums the other day..

Given his inexperience in single-seaters, and being thrown into Euro/British F3, I think Jann has done well – lets see how far he can continue to grow in 2014. This is no doubt also what Red Bull are wanting to evaluate – Marko does like his development curves… which is why I think Gasly is the current dark horse to replace Vergne. Lynn also has a chance, if he bosses GP3 and Sainz Jr and Gasly can’t boss FR 3.5.

Mardenborough also looks like a mini-Lewis Hamilton, which is a peculiar co-incidence, but could also be good for marketing (alongside his ‘gamer to racer’ profile), hence Visser being tried out last year. But her development in ADAC Masters flattened out – so her and O’Keeffe were both dropped. Jann is similar to Bruno Senna – he’s gone without Karting for 12 years (after a few years’ youthful experience), and started racing again at 21 – so we (and RB) have a similar situation to compare him with, to see how well he is doing.

I’m worried for Kirchhofer – he’s who we really wanted to see mixing it up at the front of GP3 in 2014. Dillmann, Eriksson and Pommer are also now unsure of their seats for 2014, which were pretty much secured – but if Kirchhofer goes without a seat, that will be terrible indeed. It also makes Lynn’s job for 2014 much easier..

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

From a few days ago (unable to post it):

Given his inexperience in single-seaters, and being thrown into Euro/British F3, I think Jann has done well – lets see how far he can continue to grow in 2014. This is no doubt also what Red Bull are wanting to evaluate – Marko does like his development curves… which is why I think Gasly is the current dark horse to replace Vergne in 2015. Lynn also has a chance, if he bosses GP3 and Sainz Jr and Gasly can’t boss FR 3.5.

Mardenborough also looks somewhat like a mini Lewis Hamilton, which is a peculiar co-incidence, but could also be good for marketing (alongside his ‘gamer to racer’ profile), hence Visser being tried out as a Junior last year. But her development in ADAC Masters flattened out – so both her and O’Keeffe were dropped. Jann is similar to Bruno Senna in that he’s gone without Karting for 12 years (after a few years’ youthful experience), and started racing again at 21 – so we (and Marko) have a similar situation to compare him with, to see how well he is doing.

I’m worried for Kirchhofer – he’s who we really wanted to see mixing it up at the front of GP3 in 2014. Dillmann, Eriksson and Pommer are now also unsure of their seats for 2014, which were pretty much secured – but if Kirchhofer goes without a seat, that will be terrible indeed. It also makes Lynn’s job for 2014 much easier..

Profile photo of wsrgo
    wsrgo
    Participant

In what is incredible news for the series, Marvin Kirchhofer has joined 4-time teams’ champions ART in the 2014 GP3 season. Kirchhofer’s record consists of rookie championship victories in ADAC Formel Masters and German F3. The 19-year-old German driver from Leipzig, a protege of Motopark boss Timo Rumpkfeil and a member of the ADAC Stiftung Sport, and has an incredible 41 podiums from 49 car races.

<p>Driver Announcement: Marvin Kirchhofer completes @ARTGP #GP3 squad – find out more here: http://t.co/GALbFtAVpN</p>— GP3 Series Official (@GP3_Official) March 7, 2014

<script async src=”//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Great news for the series. 41 podiums from 49 races.. I think he’ll be at the front this year, alongside Lynn. In forum news.. all my posts now appear in the thread! Sounds like things are being fixed :)

@bosley I agree, I can see Zamparelli being a regular top 8 contender in an ART car. Same for Fontana, Niederhauser, Visoiu, Mardenborough, Bernstorff, Eriksson, Yelloly hopefully..

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Great to see Dean Stoneman getting his single-seater career back on track after recovering from the testicular cancer he was diagnosed after testing for Williams in 2010. He joins Marussia’s line-up alongside Ryan Cullen and Patrick Kujala.

Marussia will again give their top GP3 driver a run in their F1 car. They confirmed Tio Ellinas will test for them again this year after his performance in 2013.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Stoneman had more than just a brush with his cancer, which was diagnosed in 2011:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/10309198.Stoneman_s_back_on_track_after_cancer_scare/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.