GP3

Russian Time to replace Bamboo in GP3 next year

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Russian Time, who took over from iSport in GP2 this year, will enter a GP3 squad next season:

GP3 series organisers are pleased to announce Russian Time will join the field for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. The Russian outfit led by Igor Mazepa will replace Bamboo Engineering with the series continuing to have nine teams.

Russian Time have proved very successful as newcomers in the GP2 series and are currently leading the 2013 Team Standings in GP2. They will make their first appearance in the series during post-season testing in Abu Dhabi which will take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th of November 2013.

GP3 Series CEO Bruno Michel commented: “We’re pleased to welcome Russian Time to GP3 series for the next two seasons. Their rookie year in GP2 series in 2013 has been extremely strong so far with five wins, three podium finishes and three pole positions. They’re currently leading the teams’ standings with only one round left in the season. I am confident they will put together a GP3 team that will be ready and competitive for this new challenge.

“I would like to thank Bamboo Engineering and wish them the best of success in the future.”

Russian Time Team Principal Igor Mazepa said: “We’re very happy to be joining the GP3 series next season and I would like to thank the organisers for this great opportunity. We’ve had a very successful first season in GP2 series in 2013 in our first year. Our objective was to be fighting for the Teams’ title and that’s what we will be doing in Abu Dhabi next month. We’re looking forward to that same kind of success in GP3 in 2014 and 2015. We will be working hard towards that starting with the post-season tests at Yas Marina Circuit.”

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Russian Time have been remarkable, at this rate, F1 by 2020? :-)

No chance at all, I’d say. GP2 and GP3 may be feeder series for drivers but they aren’t for teams.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

How on earth do F1 teams get experience in motorsport then? @keithcollantine :-)

These days, they don’t! F1 is a closed shop. Since 1998 only four new teams have entered and only two of those have stayed.

Running a spec Dallara chassis is not a means for a team to get into doing car development of their own.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Actually its 5 (HRT, Lotus/Caterham, Virgn/Marussia, Super Aguri, Toyota).

Well, on that basis by 2017, the blog will FE Fanatic.

wsrgo
    Participant

This is good news, especially for one Marvin Kirchhoefer, the reigning German F3 champ and last year’s ADAC Formel Masters champ. Russian Time basically is Motopark Academy with the addition of Igor Mazepa, the team for which the German teenager raced in those two championships. Another driver who might get the chance is Russian teenager Artem Markelov, currently runner-up to Kirchhoefer in the German F3, and his teammate at the Motopark Academy. Markelov is a protege of Igor Mazepa too..

Amusing that I remembered Super Aguri but overlooked Toyota…

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

@keithcollantine

Its easy to forget Toyota, they never really made an impression. Unfortunatley, it will only be large manufacturers like Toyota who will ever have any money to join F1. There is no way around it as RB and other top teams drive up the costs. That is why Formula E is a better route for teams to go, 1. it encourages creativity, 2. you can build your own chassis from 2015 and 3 its very, very cheap compared to F1.

Lucas Wilson
    Participant

Mario Andretti stated a few days ago that if the rules were changed regarding Customer Cars, he would enter AA in F1, but this will never happen, instead plumping for FE.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’s happening to Bamboo Engineering then? Sticking to touring cars?

robk23
    Participant

@ajokay Bamboo have 2 new Chevrolets on order from RML for the WTCC next year, selling the GP3 team is probably helping to finance them.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

No chance at all, I’d say. GP2 and GP3 may be feeder series for drivers but they aren’t for teams

Unless they buy into a team. It’s a move that would make sense – they’re doing incredibly well in GP2, so their heads are obviously screwed on the right way. That talent could easily be put to good use in Formula 1.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Great news for Kirchhofer and Markelov – it’ll be good to see them in GP3 next year then I imagine, not FIA F3. 3rd seat is probably up for grabs.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.