Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

GT Racing

Public Group active 1 month ago

Group for fans of the GT1 World Championship and other forms of GT Racing.

2012 GT1 calendar: India to hold last race

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of AndrewTanner AndrewTanner 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The GT1 World Championship will conclude at the Buddh International Circuit in India, the organisers have announced.

Here’s the calendar:

2012 FIA GT1 World Championship Calendar

8th April – France – Nogaro
    22nd April – Belgium – Zolder***
    27th May – Spain – Navarra
    8th July – Portugal – Algarve
    26th August – China – Beijing**
    2nd September – China – Ordos**
    16th September – Russia – Moscow*
    7th October – The Netherlands – Zandvoort
    4th November – Argentina – San Luis*
    2nd December – India – New Delhi

2012 FIA GT3 European Championship Calendar

8th April – France – Nogaro
    22nd April – Belgium – Zolder***
    27th May – Spain – Navarra
    8th July – Portugal – Algarve
    16th September – Russia – Moscow*
    7th October – The Netherlands – Zandvoort

* Subject to the ASN’s confirmation and the FIA homologation of the circuit
    ** Subject to the confirmation from the ASN and to the contract with the promoter
    *** Subject to the homologation of the circuit

Profile photo of Fer no.65
    Fer no.65
    Participant

I’ve been watching this series since they started racing in Argentina, and I gotta say: it’s so boring…

It’s nice to see those cars blasting around Potrero de los Funes, but still… it’s quite a lame spectacle, tbh…

Profile photo of robk23
    robk23
    Participant

I have to say I prefer the British GT series although I do get why people might find it boring. What I find a bit boring about it is that GT racing consists of cars that are already fast…going fast. It’s not quite the same thrill as exotic single seaters or family road car based touring cars.

Profile photo of ed24f1
    ed24f1
    Participant

At least Ferrari joined to give the series a little momentum, but it seems to be on its last legs.

Profile photo of PT
    PT
    Participant

It will be freezing to the bone in New Delhi at that time of the year!

Anyway, I loved the GT1 championship in its first year thanks to those exotic models such as Lamborghini Murcielago, Ford GT, Nissan GT-R, Maserati MC12, etc. I haven’t been following it after that. I read somewhere that the series will now only be open to GT2 cars? I hope the series succeeds but I like to see more Lambos, Fords, Nissans and even some American muscle cars such as the Camaro and Mustang in a championship together. I’m tired of seeing the Porsche 911 GT3 RS silhouette every other time.

In fact the Italian Superstars championship really caught my attention because of the wide range of machinery being raced including a big Chrysler. Don’t know how the series is now.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

At least Ferrari joined to give the series a little momentum, but it seems to be on its last legs.

It was actually looking pretty strong to begin with, but then the organisers lost three teams in one hit and they haven’t recovered from it.

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

Ohhh… whoop-de-sodding do.

Britain doesn’t get a look in this year, which is a real shame because I attended the Silverstone round for the past 2 years and it’s a great series to see at the track as well as on TV. There’s a great support package too and the events were really well attended.

But this year round they’ve lost a lot of big names, as they’ve diluted the rules to bring GT1 and GT3 into line with each other… seriously, I wish they’d decide on some sportscar rules and regulations and stick with them. There have been more classes of LMP and GT cars over the past 20 years than you can count on your own fingers and toes.

But thankfully they’ve also gained a few big names, and I hope the series can stay afloat, but some of the 2012 calendar is really disappointing.

They certainly don’t need 2 races in China.

Profile photo of Prisoner Monkeys
    Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Britain doesn’t get a look in this year, which is a real shame because I attended the Silverstone round for the past 2 years and it’s a great series to see at the track as well as on TV.

I’d say the series couldn’t get a race in Britain on any of the proposed dates. There’s probably only two (or possibly three) circuits – Silverstone, Donington (or Brands) – that could handle the series. if the circuits weren’t available on any of the dates the promoters wanted, then there probably wasn’t much that could be done.

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

I’ve just tweeted Silverstone and they’ve replied that it was because they’ve swapped it for the British WEC round, which is fair enough I guess, plenty of GT action there too.

Profile photo of AndrewTanner
    AndrewTanner
    Participant

No Sachsenring either? I really enjoyed that circuit last year.

Not sure whether I’ll bother with it this year, I find it just too hard to follow during a race. On screen graphics don’t help as they don’t tell me who’s driving what (I’ve tried my best to remember) , which gets even more complicated when they switch drivers!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.