Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

GT Racing

Public Group active 6 months ago

Group for fans of the GT1 World Championship and other forms of GT Racing.

Porsche Supercup points leader Sean Edwards dies in crash

This topic contains 11 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Jonathan189 Jonathan189 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Terrible news from Australia today where Sean Edwards, the points leader in the F1-supporting Porsche Supercup, has died following a crash. From the report in Autosport it sounds utterly horrific:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110646

The series has two races left to run, both supporting the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix next month.

Edwards won the FIA European GT3 championship in 2006, the Nurburgring 24 Hours earlier this year and the last two Dubai 24 Hour races.

wsrgo
    Participant

Dear God, please no…absolutely stunned…
    Rest in peace, Sean. My condolences to his family…

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

The accident has left another driver fighting for his life:

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/10/15/one-killed-another-fighting-for-life-in-qr-crash-oct/

It’s the second fatal accident at QR in recent months. Safety has been an issue in the past – the circuit was really designed to fit as much circuit as possible into as little space as possible, and has taken a lot of criticism in the past. The facilities are, frankly, sub-standard, primarily because the circuit depends on the V8 Supercars to remain open, V8 Supercars depend on funding from the Queensland government to subsidise the event, and the Newman government shaves every penny they can so that they can wage legislative war on outlaw bikie gangs. The circuit needs an upgrade, even though it just had one.

ajokay
    Participant

So sad. And he wasn’t even driving. Was he tutoring on a track day or something? Tragic.

RIP Sean.

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

It would appear that he was tutoring. The unnamed driver of the car has been described as a promising racing driver in their own right. It appears that Edwards was enlisted to help said driver develop their technique ahead of the Gold Coast 600, where the Carrera Cup will be a support race.

Fisha695
    Participant

As I just said in a comment a day or so ago, there has been way to many injures & deaths in the motorsports world this season, yet for the most part they’ve all been freak accidents that “more safety” might not have necessarily prevented.

Mathers
    Participant

For all of the wonderful racing we have had this year, we have seen far too many leave us as well. Rest in Peace Sean, my thoughts are with your family and friends at this time.

wsrgo
    Participant

@fisha695 It’s easy to turn a blind eye. It’s easy to say this was unavoidable, because that way you don’t have to think much. Bottom line is, something somewhere is wrong, and I believe the attitude, that death is an acceptable part of motorsport, is wrong. Look at MotoGP. A premier motorcycling category has a fatality. What action is taken? None. This year, two of the championship contenders had serious crashes.
    You shouldn’t say this is something that couldn’t have been avoided with more safety measures. For all we know, it could well have been. Nobody knows.
    The deaths of Simonsen and Edwards should make people sit up and take notice. And do something instead of saying, “It’s always happened before, it will happen again.” The sports have developed, and our attitudes should develop too.
    Something needs to be done.

Anonymous

[:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(] [:(]
    …and it hasn’t been too long after Maria de Villota died.

And earlier this year a Canadian marshal, and Froilan Gonzalez…rest in peace, all of you.

Chalky
    Participant

This is terrible news.

the circuit was really designed to fit as much circuit as possible into as little space as possible

The article states it happened at turn 6, the last corner. It’s not even the fastest part of the track. I wouldn’t want to speculate on the cause as it’s not really important at the moment.
    Only the other week I was thankfull for Dario escaping from his horrific crash at Houston. It was strange as before that race I was thinking that the curved section was a bit dangerous for a street circuit. Being a blind corner and possible marbles building up at the edges made me wonder how another car could react to an incident there. Thankfully it seems that Indycar will probably not use that track again. However, it seems that there is a much lower acceptable safety level in circuit design around the world, for series that are not F1. As a motorsports fan, this is not what I want. There is clearly some more work for the FIA, to encourage it’s members to improve safety for drivers.
    R.I.P Sean.

Nick
    Participant

Very sad news, hope the other driver makes a full recovery. I hope we don’t have any more RIP threads for young people in motorsports this year.

With Francitti’s accident, Maria de Villota’s death and now this, I think motorsports and their organisers need a good look at themselves. Clearly there is more to be done for driver safety, circuit safety and spectator safety. Already people are saying the track isn’t up to par, so there is a good place for Australian motorsport and the FIA to start.

RIP Sean.

(By the way, some people are sharing a link to an Australian news report on Twitter, with some aerial shots and more info. Find at your will, the images aren’t graphic, but it’s very sad reading..)

Jonathan189
    Participant

According to the BBC, there is a cruel irony here: Edwards’ father Guy pulled Niki Lauda from his burning car at the Nurburgring in 1976, and Sean Edwards recently appeared in the film Rush playing his own father saving Lauda.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.