IndyCar

2013 Grand Prix of Baltimore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    the_sigman
    Participant

Power and Vautier were first in the two practice sessions. While lots of drivers seem to be having problems in the final chicane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFvTzEAGmk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkq6tTuaIY

Also, Pitstop rules have been changed for this weekend following Dixon’s Sonoma incident.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the few circuits I genuinely hate.

Delta Golf Sierra
    Participant

It’s not a bad circuit overall, except for that horrible chicane. I understand the reason for it – there are railroad tracks crossing the road, and they want to slow the cars down for it. But surely they could work out something better.

JackySteeg
    Participant

Wow. That chicane has just caused a colossal pileup in ALMS race before they even made it to the green flag…

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Got a bad feeling about tomorrow’s race, if the last two days were any indication.

JackySteeg
    Participant

I appreciate that the chicane needs to be there because of the tracks, but my feeling is this: why did anyone think it would be a good idea to have a race circuit built on a road with a railroad crossing?

On the positive side though, tomorrow’s race will be anything but predictable.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Baltimore’s light rail/trolley system basically goes right through all of downtown where all the landmarks are – both sports stadiums, the convention center, the harbor, and most importantly, the major roads that can support a street race for Indycars and sports cars…it’d be impossible to host a race in downtown Baltimore without encountering the railroad tracks. Kind of a pain really. San Jose’s Champ Car race endured the same problems, most infamously in 2006.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t have a race in Baltimore then.

Delta Golf Sierra
    Participant

Will Buxton had a pretty good solution for the chicane – http://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2013/08/31/itll-never-fly/

JackySteeg
    Participant

As usual, Mr Buxton has the right idea. But there are any number of alternative solutions to that dreadful chicane. They could employ Will’s idea immediately before the tracks, where the current chicane is, for example. Alternatively, they could hold the race at another circuit. Never understood why IndyCar is so heavy on the bland street circuits when there are countless great circuits across North America. I’d love to see IndyCars at Road America, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta, Mosport, etc… I guess money talks, though.

the_sigman
    Participant

+1 at Buxton and @jackysteeg. Let’s just count the better-than-Baltimore circuits in North America:
    Road America,
    Road Atlanta,
    Lime Rock,
    Mosport,
    Watkins Glen,
    Austin (National Circuit if GP is not allowed),
    Indianapolis GP Circuit,
    Sebring,
    Mont-Treblant,
    and lots of decent street circuits that can be built.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@sigman1998 You can add Portland and Mexico City to that list as well.

the_sigman
    Participant

Yes, I don’t know many American tracks. I have just put some of the former F1 tracks and other good circuits I know. :)

JackySteeg
    Participant

Well, what a bizarre race this has been. All the top drivers either out or limping towards the back. And yet the chicane has been rather innocent! And it isn’t done yet…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.