Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 1 week, 4 days ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

2013 IndyCar Grand Prix of Houston

This topic contains 66 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Fisha695 Fisha695 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Ah, yes, Dover – the oval Sebring as someone called it.

Just to back up what Fisha said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB7Zr3yaQuA

RE: the fans, from the comments I’ve seen on Twitter from the usual reporters, the two fans and the Indycar official were described as in “good” condition as opposed to Dario’s “fair”.

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

That fan video sent shivers down my spine. Reminds me of the McNish crash at Le Mans 2011. Wow we’re lucky no one has sustained serious injuries from that.

Profile photo of MatK77
    MatK77
    Participant

ABC13 reporting that all who were taken in for treatment were released from hospital as of this morning, bar Dario.

That is mind-boggling.

I wonder if Franchitti will now call time on his racing career – he’s been involved in some monster accidents, he’s got to be feeling like he’s getting too old for this.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

That’s true, he was injured on a motorcycle and in a stock car (once each) some years ago. Michael Schumacher was injured on a bike in ’09 prior to his F1 return, if I recall correctly.

Although in Dario’s case he hasn’t been nearly as competitive in 2012 and 2013.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Another statement from IndyCar on the crash:

Our thoughts remain with everyone affected by yesterday’s accident. Thank you to the people of Houston for their support of the Grand Prix and their concern for Dario Franchitti, the fans and race personnel. IndyCar is thoroughly reviewing the incident. Reducing the risks that are associated with racing is one of our highest priorities and receives our constant and on-going focus.

Profile photo of Carlitox
    Carlitox
    Participant

The rear-wheel-guard is there to give drivers a last opportunity to back down before making wheel-to-wheel contact and be launched, like Wheldon, Conway in Indy 2010 and many others. Even Dario suffered it in Kentucky 2007 (I think?), but the difference in crashes like this or like Graham Rahal and Marco Andretti in Long Beach last year, is that the guard can’t prevent a faster car being launched over a slower one, and remember Takuma got loose in that long right hander, so the speed difference was important. What would be sensible for Dallara, is to find a way to make those guards tougher (maybe making them with the same material as the safety cell) without unbalancing the cars too much due to the obvious added weight. But so far, the things, ugly as they are, are doing a good job. They just don’t work well when the cars have great speed differences. Those are my 2 cents. :-)

Profile photo of Fisha695
    Fisha695
    Participant

The rear wheel bumper had nothing to do with this crash, Dario launched after his wheel touched the sidepod of Sato not the rear bumper thing.

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 67 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.