The Indycar series will hold a one-day open test at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course tomorrow, as teams prepare for the race on August 3. Although numerous private test days have occurred since the season opener at St Petersburg, this is the first official test since March 19 at Barber Motorsports Park.
The race weekend itself will also have the entire Mazda Road to Indy ladder (USF2000, Pro Mazda, Indy Lights) and the Pirelli World Challenge in support of Indycar. General admission tickets bought in advance are a mere $60 for the weekend, with paddock passes being priced at $20.
$60 for the whole weekend with a paddock pass for $20!? That’s not bad at all given the number of support races there. I’m looking forward to seeing how RHR bounces back after yet another poor weekend. I’m also looking to see whether Bourdais or Conway can continue to upset the frontrunners.
Indycar doesn’t have Bernie-style sanction fees, for one thing :p no surprise that Mid-Ohio’s attendance is historically good.
I like this track. Found an old on-board video of it-
Hoping for a good one.
Didn’t realise they start on the back-straight at Mid-Ohio. But those entry fees are great! £40 for the weekend!
You guys have no idea. $40 for infield passes to the Indy 500. One of the most historically important races in the world and you can make a day trip of it for less than the cost of a big screen TV (if you live close enough). I’ve been to Mid Ohio before and it’s a great track that puts on awesome racing. I went when ALMS last raced there and saw the Indy qualifying. People may slag on Indy as having less talented drivers (some may be, but not all IMO), but the racing is great lately and it’s starting to regain some of it’s prominence ever since they consolidated CART and IRL.
@joey-poey Many Indycar drivers race in other series over the course of a season. Bourdais and Power have run up front in V8 Supercars before (and that’s hardly a field of hacks), not to mention the amount of wins guys like Conway and Pagenaud have racked up in LMPs. Having the skill set to jump into tintops part-time and win almost immediately (as Hawksworth just did last weekend) speaks for itself.
Love seeing the IndyCars in action on this undulating track. Here’s today’s practice:
Bourdais on pole!
…and Newgarden well up as well, but points leader Castroneves down in 15th and Montoya only 11th.
1. (11) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.1610 (96.586)
2. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.6787 (95.996)
3. (10) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.0290 (95.600)
4. (34) Carlos Munoz, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.3111 (95.284)
5. (28) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Honda, 01:25.4459 (95.134)
6. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 01:26.1692 (94.335)
7. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:33.3244 (87.103)
8. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:33.3948 (87.037)
9. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 01:33.5587 (86.884)
10. (18) Carlos Huertas, Dallara-Honda, 01:33.6635 (86.787)
11. (2) Juan Pablo Montoya, Dallara-Chevy, 01:34.7103 (85.828)
12. (20) Mike Conway, Dallara-Chevy, 01:34.8194 (85.729)
13. (7) Mikhail Aleshin, Dallara-Honda, 01:39.4755 (81.717)
14. (17) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 01:39.0743 (82.048)
15. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:39.8694 (81.394)
16. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Honda, 01:39.8368 (81.421)
17. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Honda, 01:41.5197 (80.071)
18. (98) Jack Hawksworth, Dallara-Honda, 01:40.0797 (81.223)
19. (8) Ryan Briscoe, Dallara-Chevy, No Time (No Speed)
20. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Chevy, 01:40.8624 (80.593)
21. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
22. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Chevy, No Time (No Speed)
It rained hence the unusual grid.
Hinch 17th and Sato 21st. They’re usually the two right at the front in qualifying but always drop back in the race so it would be typical that they both have awesome races from the very back! Can’t wait for this, the cars seemed so close on a dry track in practice, so this could be very interesting.
What time does the race start?
9pm UK time on ESPN.
Cracking, cheers Mag :)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.