Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 1 week, 2 days ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

2014 Indycar teams and drivers

This topic contains 48 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SP SP 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Fair enough, I suppose he would have retired soon then anyway, sad though that it took a massive accident for that to happen.

The Lotus fiasco was very strange; as I understood it, only a certain amount of teams/cars were allowed to use the Honda and Chevy engines? Thus condemning some of those Indies to a shocking engine and no chance of survival? I can understand wanting to have a 3rd engine manufacturer enter the arena, but to sacrifice your smaller teams just to see it fail must be galling for those involved in them. Viso, if he returns with money next year (cleared of corruption charges for that to happen I would imagine) would at least be in a good position to revive them. Having to buy your way out of such a bad enforced engine deal is a real shocker for anyone to comprehend.

Nice to hear Indy Lights will do well in the coming years.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

The minimum supply commitment was 40% at the time (3 x 40 = 120), Honda and Chevrolet didn’t plan for supporting extra cars in 2012. Lotus Group assets were frozen and funding to the engine builder stopped. Constant reliability issues exacerbated by a lack of testing caused 3 of their 4 teams to jump ship (Bryan Herta Autosport skipped Sao Paulo because it was seen as a waste of resources until they could secure Honda engines). Dragon decided to switch just before the Indianapolis 500, which consumes a lot of extra engines (teams often mileage out their engines in practice and switch before qualifying).

Obviously it was a mistake in hindsight for anyone to take Lotus up on their offer, but their prior sponsorship deal with KV was genuine money so nobody assumed it would be a risk.

Profile photo of sushant008
    sushant008
    Participant

@jb001 – Thanks for all the info mate. Thanks a lot. Keep it up.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

No problem.

Profile photo of Russell Ford
    Russell Ford

Wow, it’s going to be amazing!! Hope to be there :D

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant
    Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Not massively impressed by Aleshin getting a seat. He’s been treading water in Formula Renault 3.5 for years. At least he’s freed up a space there. But I could list several dozen drivers I’d rather see in IndyCar instead.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

HP ended their sponsorship deal with the Schmidt team this year, and Aleshin brings some money. He’s not a total hack (eg his 2010 season), and with Vautier only being 20th in points, being retained for 2014 wasn’t that likely. You’re right that there are some better options out there, but this isn’t a well monied outfit like Ganassi. The current SPM team was born out of the remains of FAZZT, a fledging one-car operation. As far as I can tell, any F1 or European feeder series driver on the market would prefer the #10 Ganassi car.

Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

It’s strange how Aleshin’s career seems to have plateaued since taking the 2010 title ahead of Ricciardo, Guerrieri and Vergne (who only got the second half of the season). Aleshin struggled in adapting to GP2 it seems, so lets see if he comes back to form in IndyCar, or perhaps his best days are past him now. It might take him a while to get up to full speed though.

I guess Guerrieri was unlucky not to win the Indy Lights title, pipped to that like he was to the 2010 Formula Renault 3.5 title (after missing a round or two). Vautier got the title ahead of him, and the funding for the IndyCar ride. So now Guerrieri’s European vanquisher has replaced his US vanquisher, at the team he could have been driving for in IndyCar. The guy he beat in the Star Mazda, De Phillippi, soon to be 21, could also count himself unlucky not to get an Indy Lights shot, as I’m sure in the past he would’ve been a big US driver (The previous year he lost out to Daly, who tried for Europe instead, and Krohn). Perhaps he could have won Indy Lights and moved up.. Karam is still very young (18) so has time on his side. De Phillippi holds 21 national karting titles!

But the question is, if the team isn’t flush with cash in IndyCar, can any of the drivers do well in the package? I imagine Ganassi probably didn’t consider Aleshin, but could have a strong line up by adding Paul di Resta or Sergio Perez, both good F1 drivers, which is also good for the competitivity of the IndyCar field.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Pagenaud did do well in the standings, but some of that was down to the inconsistency of the top 3 teams (he was on the podium for only 3 of 19 races). Andretti Autosport in particular had poor reliability in the second half.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Luiz Razia has thrown his hat into the ring as another Indycar possibility: http://amigosdavelocidade.uol.com.br/brasileiro-luiz-razia-tenta-abrir-portas-na-formula-indy/

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Hmm, seems I can’t edit my posts. Anyway, it’s going to be Sebastien and Sebastian at KV Racing Technology: http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/02/2-12-Saavedra-rejoins-Bourdais-for-2014-season

Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Jimmy Vasser must have taken a bump on the head recently if he believes Saavedra is either a) An improvement over De Silvestro or b) going to challenge Bourdais in terms of intra-team performance.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

*10 login attempts later*

Yeah, Vasser doesn’t want to shell out the minimal $$ required for someone half-decent like Oriol Servia. Other than some money from Automatic Fire Sprinklers Inc and a marginal performance improvement on ovals, he won’t be getting anything out of Saavedra. KV won’t be joining the Andretti\Penske\Ganassi triumvirate any time soon.

I would say F1 has Max Chilton, but I’ll give him some credit for (usually) avoiding collisions.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.