IndyCar

2015 IndyCar aero kits

• This topic has 52 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by SP.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    SP
    Participant

Someone snapped this image of Penske testing their 2015-spec car:

Mathers
    Participant

Are Penske making a bespoke kit for their own use, and if so are they selling it to other teams? If it isn’t a bespoke kit, will it be manufacturer engine based or something else?

SP
    Participant

Apparently it’s an early Chevrolet design, we won’t know the final version until mid-January.

Mathers
    Participant

Hopefully there will be a few kits on the grid, it’ll be nice to have a bit of variety in the looks! Does this mean Chevrolet have got development underway sooner do you think or is it simply a case of this being the first image leaked?

SP
    Participant

Someone took that from far back in the stands. Honda were testing designs elsewhere.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

What a mad look! Asymmetrical! This does worry me, can Indycar afford an ‘aero war’? Part of what made it so great this year was it basically being a spec series, apart from set-up, allowing the great drivers to come to the front, via some great racing.

If the top teams can clear off with anyone in their car again, would that be good for the sport? And we just about get 33 cars for Indy – does an aero kit, even if the price is mandated, hamper that?

SP
    Participant

That’s why there are budget caps. Oval aero was being tested at Texas Motor Speedway as well, no photos of those yet though.

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Not sure I see where it’s asymetrical. What are you referring to?

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@joey-poey Oh, I was just fooled by the perspective :P

sushant008
    Participant

More pics-

Obviously these pictures don’t tell much about the Chavy aerokit. We just have to wait for the official release.

SP
    Participant

Chevrolet have debuted their 2015 (road\street course) package:

Yes, you are allowed to cover the rear wheels in Indycar for more aerodynamic efficiency. Not sure about the uprights everywhere, but it’ll be interesting to see how it does on the track…

sushant008
    Participant

Here are some more pics-

sushant008
    Participant

It kinda OKish for me. Those front mini wings ruin it IMO.

SP
    Participant

Teams won’t necessarily be using all of the components, they’ll be optimised per track.

sushant008
    Participant

@jb001 – Ya, but I wish it was less tall. Have to say those curvy flicks around the side-pod gives it different look. This car has a character. And I see some F1 influences as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.