IndyCar

2017 IndyCar drivers and teams

This topic contains 28 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Collantine 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Rossi had a crash in testing yesterday:

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

A few more pictures from the test:

Max Chilton, Ganassi, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Max Chilton, Ganassi, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Scott Dixon, Ganassi, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Mikhail Aleshin, Schmidt, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Sebastien Bordais, Coyne, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Sebastien Bordais, Coyne, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Will Power, Penske, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Will Power, Penske, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Alexander Rossi, Andretti/Herta, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Alexander Rossi, Andretti/Herta, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

JR Hildebrand, Carpenter, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    JR Hildebrand, Carpenter, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Tony Kanaan, Ganassi, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Tony Kanaan, Ganassi, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Sebastien Bourdais, Coyne, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Sebastien Bourdais, Coyne, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Conor Daly, Foyt, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017
    Conor Daly, Foyt, IndyCar, Phoenix test, 2017

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Carpenter have been testing at Sonoma, good to see them keeping their two-car livery:

JR Hildebrand, Carpenter, Sonoma, 2017

Spencer Pigot, Carpenter, Sonoma, 2017

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Some very disappointing if not unexpected news: KV Racing will not be on the grid this year:

KV RACING TECHNOLOGY OWNERS EXPRESS THEIR THANKS
    TO INDYCAR FANS, TEAM MEMBERS AND SPONSORS

INDIANAPOLIS, IN – February 16, 2017 – KV Racing Technology co-owners Kevin Kalkhoven and Jimmy Vasser issued the following statements today:

“I want to thank all those who have written to express their appreciation of the efforts of KV Racing Technology during the last 14 years,” said Kalkhoven. “However as I approach 73, I feel I can no longer give the team the effort and support it and the team members deserve.

“I have really enjoyed my time in the series, helping with reunification and of course winning the greatest spectacle in racing… the Indianapolis 500!

“It is my firm belief that the series is on a major upswing under the leadership of Mark Miles and Jay Frye and has a bright future. I remain committed to help in any way I can, particularly in encouraging new owners and sponsors. In particular Ricardo Juncos, to whom we will be offering our support.

“To all the fans who follow the series, and cheered for KVRT, my heartfelt thanks and please spread the good word about the fantastic sport we have “

Vasser said, “First and foremost I want to thank all the fans who have supported the team over the years. I also want to thank Kevin Kalkhoven for giving me the special and unique opportunity to transition from a driver to a team owner while I was still driving

“I am very proud to have been a part of this team and I will always cherish all the great people and drivers we worked side-by-side with to achieve our successes
    “It has been a journey of many ups and downs, but I will always remember winning the 2013 Indy 500.

“IndyCar racing has been a part of my life for 25 years, it is in my soul and it will be interesting to see where it takes me from here.”

About KV Racing Technology:
    KV Racing Technology was founded in January 2003 and joined the IndyCar Series in 2008. The Indianapolis based team is owned by successful venture capitalist Kevin Kalkhoven and 1996 IndyCar champion Jimmy Vasser. During 14 season of IndyCar competition the team made 464 starts winning seven races (five in the last four seasons) including the 2013 Indianapolis 500. It placed on the podium 29 times with 76 top-five finishes, 182 top-10 showings and eight poles.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

IndyCar returns this weekend at St Petersburg and for those of you wondering what would replace the classic colours of Target on Scott Dixon’s Ganassi car, wonder no longer:

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

The series is going to have a similar look and feel for the years to come as Chevrolet, Honda, Dallara and Firestone have all signed extended deals:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-10-Manufacturer-extensions

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Following today’s bombshell news about Fernando Alonso heading to the Indy 500, here’s how the entry list is shaping up so far. I count 30 drivers confirmed so at least three more to come:

1. Simon Pagenaud (France) – Penske, Chevrolet
    2. Josef Newgarden (USA) – Penske, Chevrolet
    3. Helio Castroneves (Brazil) – Penske, Chevrolet
    4. Conor Daly (USA) – Foyt, Chevrolet
    5. James Hinchcliffe (Canada) – Schmidt Peterson, Honda
    7. Mikhail Aleshin (Russia) – Schmidt Peterson, Honda
    8. Max Chilton (UK) – Ganassi, Honda
    9. Scott Dixon (New Zealand) – Ganassi, Honda
    10. Tony Kanaan (Brazil) – Ganassi, Honda
    12. Will Power (Australia) – Penske, Chevrolet
    14. Carlos Munoz (Colombia) – Foyt, Chevrolet
    15. Graham Rahal (USA) – RLL, Honda
    16. Oriol Servia (Spain) – RLL, Honda
    18. Sebastien Bourdais (France) – Coyne, Honda
    19. Ed Jones (UK) – Coyne, Honda
    20. Ed Carpenter (USA) – Ed Carpenter, Chevrolet
    21. JR Hildebrand (USA) – Ed Carpenter, Chevrolet
    22. Juan Pablo Montoya (Colombia) – Penske, Chevrolet
    24. Sage Karam (USA) – Dreyer & Reinbold Racing,
    26. Takuma Sato (Japan) – Andretti, Honda
    27. Marco Andretti (USA) – Andretti, Honda
    28. Ryan Hunter-Reay (USA) – Andretti, Honda
    29. Fernando Alonso (Spain) – McLaren-Andretti, Honda
    40. Zach Veach (USA) – Foyt, Chevrolet
    50. Jack Harvey (UK) – Andretti, Honda
    63. Pippa Mann (UK) – Coyne, Honda
    77. Jay Howard (UK) – Schmidt Peterson, Honda
    83. Charlie Kimball (USA) – Ganassi, Honda
    88. Gabby Chaves (Colombia) – Harding, Chevrolet
    98. Alexander Rossi (USA) – Andretti-Herta, Honda

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

No Alonso on the IndyCar grid this weekend but the series will have another F1 driver making his debut: Esteban Gutierrez will replace the injured Sebastien Bourdais at Coyne:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06-01-Gutierrez-to-Coyne

Following Bourdais’ crash in qualifying Coyne suggested he would be out of action for at least 12 weeks. That would indicate a return around Pocono, by which time the championship would be almost over, so it wouldn’t be a surprise if he chose to wait until next year before returning.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Gutierrez has now been confirmed in Bourdais’ seat at Coyne for the rest of the season:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/06/06-22-Gutierrez-back-with-Coyne

He was thrown in the deep end at Detroit but he has prior knowledge of the track he’s racing at this weekend, Road America, albeit from ten years ago when he was in Formula BMW.

After that Bourdais will see out the remainder of the season at Iowa (oval), Toronto (street). Mid-Ohio (road), Pocono (oval), Gateway (oval), Watkins Glen (road) and Sonoma (road).

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

We could have another change for the race. Mikhail Aleshin is stuck in France due to via problems so Robert Wickens will fill in for him in the meantime. If Aleshin can’t make it to the track in time for Sunday Wickens will make his debut. He previously tested for Schmidt Peterson at the end of last year:

Anorak note: Wickens was Aleshin’s successor as Formula Renault 3.5 champion in 2011!

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

No Mikhail Aleshin in Toronto this weekend – Sebastian Saavedra will take his place at Schmidt Peterson alongside James Hinchcliffe.

As yet it’s unclear why Aleshin isn’t racing. He missed practice in Road America due to via problems which left him stuck in France after the Le Mans 24 Hours.

skydiverian
    Participant

As always, it comes down to money (at least if racer.com are right), in part due to crash damage at Phoenix and last weekend in Iowa (he was also caught up in the Texas carsaw massacre).

Of any driver who could have taken the ride, Saavedra is the last person I wanted to see but whenever he runs the team always adds “with support from AFS racing” or similar so the AFS money is clearly a factor (we can assume that the mayor of Hinchtown is on of the few Indycar drivers taking home a salary and the team needs a ride buyer in the 2nd car to assist funding his fee). I can only assume that Aleshin’s money either dried up or the team spent it all fixing the car again and needed more to fund the 2nd car.

It still doesn’t explain why Saavedra gets AFS backing – and the average American fan certainly won’t like this swap.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Mikhail Aleshin’s IndyCar career appears to be over as Schmidt Peterson has announced he won’t do the remaining races:

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/08/08-12-Aleshin-out-at-Schmidt-Peterson

No official word on who’ll take his place but Sebaastian Saavedra, who took his place in Toronto, is an obvious candidate.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

One last new name on the grid for 2017, and what a name it is: Canadian 19-year-old Zachary Claman De Melo will make his debut for RLL in the final race weekend of the year.

He took his first Indy Lights win at Road America in June and hasn’t finished outside the top six since then:

Zachary Claman DeMelo to Make His IndyCar Series Debut with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing at the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.