Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 2 days, 5 hours ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

Montoya to drive for Penske in 2014 IndyCar season

This topic contains 45 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SP SP 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

If this does happen, are there any IndyCar fans who could recommend some good websites to follow to get up to speed with the series

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Montoya is going back to IndyCar – but with Penske, not Andretti:

Team Penske announced today that Juan Pablo Montoya will join the team in 2014. Montoya will drive the No. 2 Team Penske IndyCar for the full season as he will join Will Power and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves in the team’s IZOD IndyCar Series lineup beginning next season.

Montoya, 37, is a native of Colombia and he is one of the most accomplished drivers in the world. His career highlights include race wins in Formula One, NASCAR and the CART Indy Car Series. He is the only driver to produce victories in the Indianapolis 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Monaco Grand Prix. Montoya earned 11 IndyCar wins over two seasons as he captured the CART Series title in his rookie season of 1999 followed by a victory in the Indy 500 in 2000.

“I am really excited to join this legendary team beginning next year,” said Montoya. “I have had the opportunity to drive for some of the best racing teams in the world and I have always admired Roger Penske and his organization. I consider it an honor to be offered the opportunity to drive for Team Penske.”

“Juan is a proven winner at all levels of motorsport,” said Roger Penske. “He has won a lot of races and championships and he has an extremely passionate fan base. We look forward to building on his successes together and we believe he will be a great addition to Team Penske.”

Team Penske is one of the most successful teams in the history of professional sports. Competing in a variety of disciplines, cars owned and prepared by Penske Racing have produced 377 major race wins, 433 pole positions and 24 National Championships. The team has also earned 15 Indianapolis 500 victories in its storied history.

http://www.penskeracing.com/news/index.cfm?series=n&cid=51801

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

:D :D :D

Profile photo of Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Juan Pablo Heidfeld
    Participant

Profile photo of Carlitox
    Carlitox
    Participant

Profile photo of sushant008
    sushant008
    Participant

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock
    Participant

:D :D :D :D

In eight years in NASCAR, Montoya has only managed to win twice in 288 races so far.

He’s not exactly a hot driver anymore, is he?

Profile photo of sushant008
    sushant008
    Participant

@magnificent-geoffrey Who cares. He’s back to the place where he belongs – Open wheel racing!

Profile photo of Slr
    Slr
    Participant

I’m so excited for IndyCar next year now!

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

A timely article from Gordon Kirby:

Team Penske needs a fresh start

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Great news, even if Montoya hasn’t been that successful in NASCAR, I think there are still a lot of Indycar and F1 fans who will want to see how Montoya fares in Indycar. I wouldn’t be surprised if Indycar’s European audience went up next year if he does well, too.

Profile photo of GT Racer
    GT Racer
    Participant

“In eight years in NASCAR, Montoya has only managed to win twice in 288 races so far.”

True, However the Ganassi Nascar team hasn’t exactly given him the equipment to be able to win races.

That team is in dissaray, Not helped by the fact that Ganassi puts all his best guys & most of his organisations budget on the Indycar program because thats the series Chip cares about the most.

“He’s not exactly a hot driver anymore, is he?”
    He’s still very highly thought of amongst open wheel teams & fans (Look at the responce from Indycar fans today) because those who followed him in CART & F1 know full well have good he really is in those sort of cars.

@GT-Racer

He’s still very highly thought of amongst open wheel teams & fans (Look at the responce from Indycar fans today) because those who followed him in CART & F1 know full well have good he really is in those sort of cars.

How good he really was. Considering it’s been eight years since he competed in open wheel circuit racing, you can forgive me being a little cynical about the prospect of him jumping back into an IndyCar and suddenly driving back to his late 1990s/early 2000s form.

Montoya’s a great racing character, there’s no doubt. But I just can’t help but feel people will expect him to be a title contender right away when the fact is he’s going to take a while to readjust and most likely be past his prime.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@Magnificent-Geoffrey I think if an driver who’s sufficiently well-known for a lot of people to have an opinion about him is joining IndyCar, that’s a step forward for them.

How good he’ll actually be, I don’t know. We’ll get an idea how serious he is about the enterprise when we see how tightly his overalls fit next spring.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.