IndyCar

Boston raced scrapped, Mexico possible for 2017

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Disappointing to see IndyCar’s planned race in Boston will not go ahead, particularly as the track looked promising.

However the series is considering an event in Mexico City (Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez?) in 2017:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/motor/2016/04/29/indycar-works-plan-b-after-boston-race-falls-through/83727144/

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

Well, this makes me sad. I really love IndyCar but they seem to be having a tough time at the moment.

Personally, I hope they put something together at Milwaukee. OK, not exactly in same area, but it’s a historic track (older than Indianapolis by 6 years!) that has also produced great oval racing in IndyCar in the recent past. Unfortunately, it is a track that is also holding no major races this year. If that continues, then it won’t be around for much longer, which is a shame. I feel like it would be a real tragedy to lose it.

Perhaps thinking more logically about an alternative venue in the general area – the promoters apparently have other interested cities and (unlike many people, apparently) I wouldn’t be disappointed because I really like street circuits. They’re challenging for the drivers, and the fact that they’re generally difficult to pass on also makes the racing intense (side note – Barber and Mid Ohio are both very difficult to pass on, but I don’t see anyone complaining there…). Another possible alternative is to run on an permanent course in the region. Watkins Glen would be awesome, but I’m not sure if safety is up to scratch for IndyCar at the moment, because it’s so fast and the armco is fairly old school. New Hampshire Motor Speedway is another 1 mile oval similar to Milwaukee, so the racing might be good there too (although it should be noted that part of what makes Milwaukee good is the “bottom” groove is not the fastest on a long run, whereas it probably would be at NHMS).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.