Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 1 week, 4 days ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

European talent in the Mazda Road to Indy

This topic contains 42 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SP SP 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Iestyn Davies
    Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting.. I rate Aitken so it’ll be interesting to see how he does. I would expect a strong performance.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

He was about 0.6s off the leaders’ pace (8th fastest) in pre-race testing today. 20 of 22 cars set times: http://www.promazdachampionship.com/docs/default-source/Results/promazda-results-p1d78b0912f48769988125ff0000a718d1.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

That should have been 1.6s ^

Anyway FP1 is over, Aitken was 11th fastest (1:33.332, +1.413s from P1).

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Aitken P8 in qualifying, 1:33.300 ( +0.9372s), his teammate Nicolas Costa was P7 (1:33.231, +0.8681s). Seems the competition in Pro Mazda is quite stout. We’ll see how the races go…

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

I’ve only heard of Pigot and Bumgarner from the other drivers, so there must be a lot of upcoming talents coming through in the Pro Mazda series. I thought Costa would be walking to the title!

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Hargrove and Alberico were 1-2 in the USF2000 points last year.

The second race was down to luck as several front-runners were collected in a lap 1 incident (nothing against Gutierrez, he’s been respectable for his lack of experience). Pigot won the title, Costa was 5th in the final standings.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Makes sense then that they are the top rookies in Race 1, battling at the front.

Even Karam couldn’t dominate in Pro Mazda, so the level of competition must be high. Hopefully Pigot and Hargrove can move up to Indy Lights, while Costa (who came on once he learned the car?) could battle with Alberico and the drivers around them for next year’s title.

PS. I’m glad de Phillippi could get a Porsche Supercup drive – in many other years he’d have been a worthy champion I’m sure. And it looks like he needed the winner’s money to advance to Indy Lights.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Jack Aitken’s comments were along the lines of “the atmosphere is more relaxed here, but the competition up front is just as tough”. The first post-season (official) test for the Mazda Road to Indy is in December if I recall correctly, but teams will hold private tests as well. The silly season picture will become clearer at that point.

Connor de Philippi’s problem was he didn’t win the title in 3 attempts (best finish in the points of 3rd), but Mazda still took care of him in tintops so a positive outcome in the end.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

French driver Timothe Guret will be testing a Pro Mazda car this weekend with Juncos Racing: http://www.autohebdo.fr/monoplace/monoplace/article-28-28-28545/100914-pro-mazda-buret-testera-%C3%A0-indianapolis

Guret has also sampled Formula Renault and Formula E machinery this year, as he evaluates options for the 2015 racing season.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Felix Serralles has signed with Belardi Auto Racing to contest the 2015 Indy Lights championship: http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/19/indy-lights-belardi-signs-felix-serralles-for-2015-program/related/

Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Serrales career has hit a wall in F3, maybe a change will do him good.

Being Puerto Rican should net him a large fanbase in the States, where there is a huge population of Puerto Ricans.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

He’s had a lot of collision DNFs in Euro F3, otherwise his results are respectable considering he’s not with an established team like Prema or Mucke.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.