IndyCar

Grand Prix of Alabama

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    synapseza
    Participant

Just one rookie this year, but a good one. Keen to see Allmendinger do well too, hopefully it might be the starting point for a bigger campaign.

This is one of those tracks the cars look really good on. It was a decent race last year as well.

MatK77
    Participant

Looking forward to this one, it was a cracking race last year and the coverage was good enough to catch the action throughout the entire field. Bourdais was sublime despite the woeful Lotus powerplant, hoping he can recover for his shaky start to the year at St. Pete. Looks like it could be another toss-up…

Oli Peacock
    Participant

Well in Final Practice it was Simona de Silvestro who lead the way but there were 23 drivers behind her covered by 1 sec. Should be a fun quali :)

tmekt
    Participant

Watched an onboard vid of the track on Youtube, the circuit looks very good, especially the last bunch of corners. Would be damn amazing to see an V12-era F1 going through the track.

I might even tune in for the race. I have very little experience with the sport, how exactly does it work in terms of broadcasting? When’s the race?

Oli Peacock
    Participant

@tmekt In the UK its on at 8pm, but i have to use a stream to watch it

tmekt
    Participant

@olliekart – Yeah I wouldn’t even dare to dream for an actual television broadcast …So that’s 8pm today?

Oli Peacock
    Participant

@tmekt No, 8pm Sunday

tmekt
    Participant

@olliekart – Alright, thanks ;)

synapseza
    Participant

@keithcollantine
    Just saw that AJA has been given an additional race at Long Beach:
    http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/04/4-6-Allmendinger-races-extended-to-Long-Beach

synapseza
    Participant

Hunter-Reay and Power sharing the front row. Dario all the way back in 17th.

Well that was a cracking race. Really hard-fought win by Hunter-Reay, that was no cruise from pole position. Thought he might even be heading for retirement when he had contact with Castroneves.

Great drive by Dixon too, what does he need to do to get a win at Barber! Second for four years in a row.

Good effort from Power to get back into the race after a poor start and restart but he just gave himself too much to do.

Allmendinger and Wilson had good runs going until they hit trouble in the pits. And Kimball was very impressive in fourth.

But for me the real star of the race was the track. Isn’t it great to watch cars racing on a circuit with gradient, grass and gravel instead of a snooker table-smooth landscape composed entirely of tarmac? And the cars looked quick too – no surprise given they were three-and-a-half seconds faster than last year. Can we have the other American Grand Prix here please?

Helio Castroneves 79
    Scott Dixon 70
    Ryan Hunter-Reay 66
    Marco Andretti 61
    James Hinchcliffe 56
    Charlie Kimball 51

Craig Woollard
    Participant

It was a great drive from Hunter-Reay, emphasises why he deserved to win the title last year. Frustrated that Hinchcliffe had to retire, especially after his great win last time out.

AdrianMorse
    Participant

Strange race from Power, with him running wide at the first corner at the start and the restart, and then switching to a two-stop strategy which saw him run off the pace for what seemed like a second a lap for the entire race (of course another caution would have helped his cause). His team mate Castroneves did a much better job. Before the first pit stops, he was still behind Power, but he made it to the podium. I actually thought Helio was certain to win at the time I went to bed (after the final round of pit stops), when he had about a 9-second lead, but I suppose running the harder tyre was a significant disadvantage yesterday.

Back to Power, his championship challenge is already looking somewhat shaky, having picked up only a fifth place from the first two races that he won last year. It wouldn’t be too bad if all the remaining races would give him equally good opportunities to win, but given his weakness on ovals he can ill afford poor races on road and street courses.

Drivers’ quotes:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.