Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 2 weeks, 4 days ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

2014 Grand Prix of St Petersburg

This topic contains 47 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sushant008 sushant008 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

If history shows anything, Sato will be in a wall before the end of the race :p It’s rare for him to both stay on the track and get a good result.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@olliekart Nice one, what series were you doing?

Profile photo of Oli Peacock
    Oli Peacock
    Participant

@keithcollantine At the time, I was a rookie in the WMKC MiniMax series while Jack was in Germany and Italy in KZ1/2 and part-timing in Senior Rotax. I think it was his last full season in Karting. I never raced him for say, but we both drove for the same owner and team – Protrain Racing. They also had Jack Aitken in there awning from 2010-12 but in 2013 he moved into FR 2.0 NEC. Unfortunately their talent (or affluence!) didn’t run-off on me haha

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Glanced over at the top of Indy Lights leaderboard…

Not what I expected.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

Like Keith mentioned in f1fanatic live, JPM seemed to be rather cautious and they also said he had some issues shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. Looking forward to him being further up the grid.

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Shame about the restart issue for Hawksworth, he looked to be on course for rookie of the race (about 10th).

Profile photo of Euro Brun
    Euro Brun
    Participant

Tony Kannan says he raced the 2nd half of the race under powered.
    He turned down the engine around the middle of the race, then the knob fell off the steering wheel so he was stuck like that!
    Still finished 6th!

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

Hinchcliffe the class clown as always: http://instagram.com/p/mLxhj1gkz1/

Profile photo of sushant008
    sushant008
    Participant

So the final results:

Good start to the season. Restart were a bit clumsy IMHO. But the racing was good. Looking forward to LBGP.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

I’m a bit disappointed by Sato, his pace at the start of the race on the reds was really good, he just fell away after going onto the “primes”. That restart crash was just absurd…really poor driving by all involved.

Profile photo of ajokay
    Anonymous

I was enjoying that until the first caution. 7 laps for a car that crashed lightly at turn 1 and then carried on after half a lap regardless. Then all the confusion over everyone (or not) having to pit (or not), followed by the completely daft restart procedure. That all killed it for me really.

Shame for Sato, he was running very well until he got shoved wide, and shame for COnway on missing that pit call and getting a penalty for it.

I do like this series, but it still has a lot of creases to iron out.

Profile photo of Little_M_Lo
    Little_M_Lo
    Participant

Great to see some Aussie ‘Power’ take the chequered flag, although I unfortunately cannot watch the races as I am unsubscribed to Foxtel in Australia which has Speed Australia, every race live :)

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

IIRC, the yellow was long because marbles were being cleared from the track. Conway passed the pace car when it waved Hinchcliffe by. That was what he was penalized for. He also didn’t hear or understand the call from his team to pit which would have cost him the track position anyway.

As for the restart, it looked to me like Hawksworth and company went too early. I didn’t see anyone up front having trouble.

Profile photo of R.J. O'Connell
    R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

But of course people will rush to blame Will Power for the whole thing because of his track record on restarts.

Fairly processional compared to some races I tuned in on last year, but aside from the restart calamity the drivers all raced fair and clean. Far cry from a handful of years ago. Even the not-as-great talents kept their noses clean for the most part! And I’ve liked Power since ’06, good result. Maybe this is the year.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.