Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 1 day, 14 hours ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

2013 Indianapolis 500

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 27 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Antonio Nartea Antonio Nartea 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

@tony031r With his oval record it would be quite a surprise if Power ended up winning the 500 before he’s won a championship!

sushant008
    Participant

Final practise session is over and as expected Honda is back in the business..

http://www.indycar.com/News/2013/05/5-24-Pagenaud-paces-final-practice

the_sigman
    Participant

I hope we can have a beautiful time!

David-A
    Participant

20 minutes until this race?

the_sigman
    Participant

Fantastic TK!

David-A
    Participant

After so many years Kanaan finally did it. I wonder if his friend Castroneves will finally win the title.

TommyB
    Participant

TK’s Indy 500 curse is finally broken! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Kanaan#Indianapolis_500

We were robbed of an incredible run to the line but hearing the crowd going nuts when they realised TK was going to finally win, that was an equally incredible way to end the race.

Goosebumps just thinking about it. I was teary during those final two laps.

Kris Kincaid
    Participant

I would have loved to see it finish under green. Munoz was on fire all month, would have been great to see what he could have done. I can’t complain about TK though, I had goose bumps too! If anybody ever deserved it, it was him.

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

TK’s Indy 500 curse is finally broken!

Andretti’s still stands, though.
    Extremely happy for TK. He’s definitely one of the guys who truly deserve a win at Indy. Wanted it hard enough for so many years. Hats off to Munoz and Allmendinger as well.

However, the biggest question is: what’s happening at Ganassi?!? Franchitti – worst Indy500 result in his participations history and Dixon – worst Indy500 result since 2005. And how Power managed to lose so much track position / end up 19th in a bit more than one stint is beyond me…

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

And here are the highlights. Quick, as per usual.

http://youtu.be/7Gxo42Ygl10

I gotta say, those were some passes, the one Allmendinger pulled off on EJ Viso and Hunter-Reay and Castroneves on both Andretti and Hunter-Reay later.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

Indianapolis 500 TV viewership was another record broken during the race this weekend. Sadly, it’s not the good kind of record breaking:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/may/2013-indianapolis-500-draws-lowest-overnight-rating-ever.html

I don’t get it. It’s as if the Indycar Series as an organization has shot itself in the foot again and again and again, but that’s just totally inconceivable!

*DISCLAIMER: The race itself was pretty good.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

They did the good kind of record-breaking as well: It was the fastest ever Indianapolis 500, beating the previous record:

2013: Tony Kanaan won at 301.644kph (187.432mph)
    1990: Arie Luyendyk won at 299.31kph (185.982mph)

Good to see there are still some forms of racing where things get faster, although this probably had more to do with the relative lack of caution periods (also not a bad thing).

Antonio Nartea
    Participant

I don’t get it. It’s as if the Indycar Series as an organization has shot itself in the foot again and again and again, but that’s just totally inconceivable!

Just as the article states, I just think this is an issue with americans not being into open-wheel racing in its current form. That’s why CART didn’t work, ChampCar didn’t work, IRL as a standalone series didn’t work and that’s why all of the above changed their names, formats and aspects for an insane number of times since their conception.

Randy Bernard realised that and I think he was on to something with introducing the ICONIC Plan and the new Dallara chassis, trying to bring “oldschool / classic NASCAR tracks” like Pocono and Fontana back and making a bid for a possible return of an american open-wheel championship to Europe. But Tony George didn’t like him…

By the way, did the board ever got around to choosing an official replacement for Bernard, after all? I have heard NOTHING AT ALL on this matter since late 2012…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.