IndyCar

Luiz Razia to Indy Lights?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SP 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

SP
    Participant

So he’s now tested at Sebring, Homestead (oval) and NOLA Motorsports Park with the Schmidt-Peterson team. Razia did say back in January that he considered Lights a valid option, it seems all but confirmed now.

An interesting twist in his career after being dropped by Marussia for lack of $$$.

wsrgo
    Participant

Wikipedia has already confirmed him :P

SP
    Participant

I’m waiting for an official confirmation, hence the question mark. :p

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

@wsrgo Sounds like someone who knows the deal is done couldn’t resist putting it on Wikipedia then.. unless it’s just someone with wishful thinking! It’s gone when I looked..

@jb001 – indeed, I think Razia would have done better than Chilton. Bianchi/Razia would have been a stronger line-up, but if it brought in less sponsor money then probably not better for Marussia as a whole..

SP
    Participant

Jack Harvey was commenting on how difficult he thought the ovals would be, noting that the average speed at some of them is 190mph (http://thelinc.co.uk/2014/01/harvey-set-to-race-in-indy-lights-series/). It’ll be interesting to see how the recent signings from Europe deal with that challenge, and Razia should he join the series.

SP
    Participant

Razia’s at Barber Motorsports Park for another 2-day test. So far he’s 1.348 seconds behind the fastest time set by Matthew Brabham.

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Indeed – apart from getting up to full pace, they’ll be total rookies in traffic. Experience is needed, when going 4-wide to the finish (e.g. last year’s Indy race!)!

SP
    Participant

They’re still using the manual shifter too (as do Pro Mazda and USF2000 cars). Of course with less or no run-off than European tracks, mistakes are punished quite heavily. Esteban Guerrieri found this out the hard way in his 2011 campaign (despite being a Formula Renault 3.5 title contender the year before).

Iestyn Davies
    Participant

Interesting – I wondered how Guerrieri didn’t win the Indy Lights. If he didn’t miss a few races he could have beaten Ricciardo in FR3.5 2010 as well and been champion there.

SP
    Participant

Still, Newgarden did very well (5 wins, 4 second places, a third from 13 races), considering he had 4 seasons of single-seater experience versus Guerrieri’s 11.

SP
    Participant

Razia got closer to Brabham’s times on the second day, about 0.3s off. Jack Harvey was another 0.3s from Razia’s best lap.

SP
    Participant

Seems to be a confirmed move, if this is anything to go by:

https://igcdn-photos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc/1889194_232839810254247_401088144_n.jpgRazia

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.