IndyCar

Power cleared to compete in season finale

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Will Power has been declared fit to compete again ahead of the IndyCar season finale following his crash at Watkins Glen on Sunday.

Power was initially barred from racing after exhibiting ‘concussion-like symptoms’ after colliding with Charlie Kimball. This press release just came in from IndyCar:

Verizon IndyCar Series driver Will Power has been cleared to resume driving by Dr. Geoffrey Billows, INDYCAR medical director, after the Team Penske driver successfully passed concussion testing protocol today.

Power was assessed today at the University of Miami (Fla.) Concussion Center under the supervision of Dr. Stephen Olvey, retired director of the Neuro-Critical Care Unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami who also served for 25 years as director of medical affairs with Championship Auto Racing Teams. During his examination, Power passed both the Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing (ImPACT) and Vestibular/Ocular-Motor Screening (VOMS) exams.

“Will is doing fine,” Dr. Olvey said. “He flew down to the University of Miami Concussion Center early this morning and we conducted two sophisticated tests to determine if he’d suffered a concussion over the weekend, and he passed both of them with no issue whatsoever.”

Power was involved in a racing incident on Lap 39 of Sunday’s INDYCAR Grand Prix at The Glen presented by Hitachi, when his No. 12 Verizon Team Penske Chevrolet made contact with another car and veered into the barrier alongside the track.

Power trails championship leader Simon Pagenaud by 43 points with one race remaining in the season, the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma on Sept. 18.

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

I may be opposed to double points in principle, but as a Will Power fan I won’t complain too much if it helps him win the championship. Call me biased, but it is what it is. At least if he does win, he will do so having missed the first race of the season (after having qualified on pole, from which he may well have gone on to win – or at least have a good finish).

@vmaxmuffin I know where you’re coming from but Pagenaud’s driven very well too this year and he would be a deserving champion. I really hope double points doesn’t swing it on Sunday.

VMaxMuffin
    Participant

Of course, Pagenaud would be a very deserving champion. I think IndyCar should bring back the “500 miler double points”, and then bring back Fontana or another Superspeedway (e.g. Michigan) and make that the finale. That way, they can have double points in the final as they want, whilst having a reasonable justification for it (just being the last race is not one).

Craig Woollard
    Participant

If there’s one series which absolutely does not need double points then it is IndyCar. The championship has gone down to the wire every year for the last decade anyway, so double points is simply pointless.

Sure double points might swing the result (as it did last season), but I think both Power (incredibly quick, tad unlucky, few mistakes) and Pagenaud (uber consistent, insane in qualifying) would be deserving of the title this year. Thankfully they don’t have the likes of Dixon to worry about this time around!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.