IndyCar

Push-to-pass returns for road and street races

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

IndyCar drivers will have push-to-pass for the remaining races on road and street courses:

As part of the introduction of push-to-pass, the base turbocharger boost level will decrease to 150 kPa. When the system is engaged, the boost increases to 160 kPa on the 2.2-liter V6 engines supplied by Chevrolet, Honda and Lotus.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2012/06-June/6-27-INDYCAR-to-reintroduce-push-to-pass

I think it’s worth having for the road and street courses but I really don’t think it’s necessary for the ovals. After watching the Barber race, I’m not entirely convinced it’s needed for all the road and street tracks, though Detroit was a bit processional.

Carlitox
    Participant

I want to know what effect it has when they get to Toronto. The PTP is pretty powerful compared to KERS but unlike F1, I don’t think IndyCar needs it. So let’s wait and see. If it has not much effect on the show, I’d take it out for good.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

I’ve not witnessed IndyCar with PTP as yet so it will be interesting to watch for the first time. How does it work? Is it literally available for whenever you want it or restricted like DRS?

Carlitox
    Participant

It’s like a KERS system. You have a number of times during the race to activate it, so you must be careful not to waste it. It gives you an increase in the turbos’ pressure, therefore a power boost.

AndrewTanner
    Participant

@carlitox Thanks for that. Interesting way to use it, certainly brings tactics into it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.