Group Admins

• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

IndyCar

Public Group active 1 week, 6 days ago

The group for IndyCar fans.

Schmidt Peterson to announce "major championship-winning driver" for Indy 500

This topic contains 24 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Keith Collantine Keith Collantine 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Calum
    Calum
    Participant

I wanted Jacques to go to the new Porsche le Mans team. He has some unfinished business there regarding a certain motorsport triple crown!

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

He would have had to have won at Monaco to get the triple crown of motorsport. ;) A “triple crown” of IndyCar champion, F1 world champion and Le Mans winner would still be pretty impressive.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

JPM and Villeneuve at Indy? I wonder how they’ll fare, but the comments on that article Keith posted are something else!

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

@JackySteeg – In the past Toyota had a clause preventing Tony Stewart and other Toyota drivers in Nascar from jumping into a Honda-powered Indycar. Teams are under different contracts.

As for Jacques Villeneuve, not who I expected…considering his vocal dislike of Indycar in the recent past.

Profile photo of GeeMac
    GeeMac
    Participant

@jb001 He has been outspoken in respect of his dislike of a lot of things recently…

Profile photo of SP
    SP
    Participant

He pretty much went straight to NASCAR after losing his F1 seat. There was no indication of current interest in Indycar from Villeneuve’s side. That’s part of the reason we’re all talking about it.

Profile photo of Carlitox
    Carlitox
    Participant

Currently the only active guy I remember with chances of winning the real Triple Crown as Graham Hill did, is JPM. And with the Indy 500, the Monaco GP and the Daytona 24h under his belt, a successful shot at Le Mans would consolidate him as a driver.

As for JV, I too am curious. But if Dennis Vitolo returned after so long, why wouldn’t him? And I’m sure he still remembers how to handle a turbo car.

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Getting ready for the announcement:

Profile photo of andae23
    andae23
    Participant

Yup, that says ‘Jacques Villeneuve’. I love that number!

Profile photo of Keith Collantine
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Interview transcript from the announcement – his second answer is the particularly interesting one:

Q. Jacques, why come back now after so long being away? I think it will be the longest period between starts for any driver?

JACQUES VILLENEUVE: There’s a few reasons. The first one, it’s also a question of opportunity. The opportunity came about with Sam Schmidt. We started talking not long ago, actually a few weeks ago. It all went fast. The discussions happened at the right time because I’d been watching the IndyCars last year, and it looked extremely exciting with the new cars, to the point where I was angry and jealous that I wasn’t racing. So that got me going again.

I’ve been active ever since leaving IndyCar in ’95, anyway, with Formula One. I did some NASCAR racing, some other forms of racing, in Australia, different places. I just wasn’t considering going back to something I’d already done mostly because there’s been a few dark years for IndyCar.

But the whole group behind the series have been working really hard and done a tremendous job because it’s getting back to the glory days with the races exciting and also the field of drivers is becoming more and more impressive every year again.

Q. Jacques, over the years you weren’t a big fan of the old IndyCar. When was it that you decided this new model and the way the series was set up was going to be leading them out of their ‘dark days’, as you called it earlier?

JACQUES VILLENEUVE: I guess it started when they started going back to road racing, going back to a mix of tracks, going back to the IndyCar that I knew basically. They saw it was time to react, and they did.

Then came this new car, which was quite a surprise with the spoilers and everything. I was dubious until the first time I saw it racing, then I realized how amazing it was, how close the racing was, open-wheel racing that was never heard of. It wasn’t accepted anymore in modern days. That’s how racing used to be.

When I started seeing that last year, I started getting excited again, just because the racing was amazing, the cars looked fast and aggressive, it looked hard on the drivers, and the battles were fierce, which is all what I love about racing.

Q. You mentioned earlier that things happened pretty fast. You’re not young by a racer’s standard. You have young kids now. You haven’t been in an IndyCar for 20 years. Talk a little bit about the things you considered when you were making this decision to go back to Indy.

JACQUES VILLENEUVE: Just that it is the biggest race in the world and that it was exciting. It was a great opportunity. It’s a great team, a great car that will be well-prepared. It was a chance to do something good.

You say I’m older in racing, got kids, and actually that’s another drive. I’m a racer at heart and I will always be. That’s what keeps me going. That’s what keeps me alive.

I don’t want to be for my kids just the guy that used to race that they can see in books. I want them to see and live what I’ve already lived, to see it through my doing it actively.

It’s actually a positive effect to have kids.

Q. Sam, bringing in another champion driver such as Jacques to your team has to make the 2014 season and anticipation of it even more exciting for you at this point.

SAM SCHMIDT: Yes, I mean, obviously we’ve got some pretty good stuff up here starting the IndyCar team full-time in 2011, having the pole at Indy, having success in 2012 with Simon, finishing fifth, winning two races last year, finishing third in the championship, and now this.

It’s really a representation of the guys and how hard they’ve been working, how the program has really come along quite nicely.

I think having somebody of Jacques’ caliber is an incredible statement and we’re really looking forward to it.

Q. Ric, I know in the race you mentioned the name in Villeneuve, in Canada, where you’re from, is synonymous with winning. What does it mean to you to have Jacques Villeneuve join the lineup this year?

RIC PETERSON: Well, it’s very special. I watched Jacques’ career from Toyota Atlantics to Formula One, was always a fan myself. We actually have a few other Canadian employees on our team, and they’re also very excited about having Jacques, as is the whole team. But the Canadians have a little extra excitement about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.