IndyCar

Video: Dramatic last-gasp win for Wilson in Texas

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABX4CClWaMQ

Last night’s race at Texas Motor Speedway was definitely worth staying up until 4am to see the end of!

Justin Wilson scored a brilliant win for Dale Coyne Racing. He was catching leader Graham Rahal in the closing laps of the race when Rahal made a crucial mistake, clipping the wall.

Rahal had taken over the lead from Scott Dxon who led much of the way before Ganassi. But Dixon fell back and then hit the wall, missing out on a repeat of his Detroit win last weekend.

That left the Penske pair of Will Power and Ryan Briscoe at the front. But Tony Kanaan made contact with Power trying to pass him at the restart – Kanaan damaged his front wing and Power was handed a penalty for blocking.

Rahal passed Briscoe for the lead but Power was patiently working his way through the traffic. Wilson took Briscoe for second and was perfectly placed to take the win when Rahal slipped up in the closing stages.

Rahal was able to continue and finish in second ahead of Briscoe, James Hinchcliffe and JR Hildebrand.

Dario Franchitti had a dreadful race, struggling with severe oversteer in the opening laps and making several visits to the pits. Rubens Barrichello failed to even start the race after a technical problem on his car and Takuma Sato crashed on lap 64.

Championship

1 Will Power 256
    2 Scott Dixon 220
    3 James Hinchcliffe 208
    4 Helio Castroneves 203
    5 Simon Pagenaud 199
    6 Dario Franchitti 192

Prisoner Monkeys
    Participant

Wow, Franchitti is way behind Power. The season’s not over yet, but the next two races make up the bulk of the oval courses where Franchitti is strongest. I’d say he’s got a lot of work cut out if he wants to reel in Power and Dixon.

Don
    Participant

A very good race! I would have loved to see Graham win, but Justin deserves it. Nice to see a team other than Penske or Ganassi win.

IndyCar put together a terrific set of rules for Texas. The cars had such little down force that they were a complete handful to drive. Sliding around constantly and lots of opposite lock corrections on the steering wheel.

I’d say they’ve found an aero package that eliminates the big packs, decreases the risk for the “big one”, and really makes the drivers work in the cars. Great to see.

Drivers are pleased with the return to Texas:

http://www.racer.com/indycar-drivers-endorse-texas-return/article/245081/

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of those who didn’t finish in the top three, though!

f1alex
    Participant

That was a great race, I’m just annoyed I couldn’t stay awake until the end because that finish was pretty exciting! I think I might (or at least attempt to) make a habit of staying up to watch the later Indycar races, if this one is anything to go by.

Mikemat5150
    Participant

@f1alex

Luckily the only other race you’ll have to stay up that late for is Iowa. All the other races are during the day here in the US, so it’s a little more manageable.

f1alex
    Participant

Brilliant! That’s my Sunday/Saturday evenings sorted then.

Bullfrog
    Participant

Wonder if they’ll have the ten-gallon hat and six-shooters for the winner at the Grand Prix in November?
    Better than a Santander trophy!

Joey-Poey
    Participant

Between that and the girl who shimmied her cleavage at the camera partway through the race, all I could think was “Texas… keepin’ it classy.”

Mmm… doughnuts…

Justin Wilson

great race from the same neck of the woods as Justin and was so pleased to him win but Rahal got to feel for him hasn’t won since his first ever race! but I could see him winning one soon.

As for the championship I hope Reubens does well looked solid until last 2 races but overall I think Dixon could snatch it he looked imense in Detroit over 10 seconds lead over Power before red flag that was a good race and Power could start and feel a bit of pressure on the road/streets circuits now especially if Franchitti came in front of him in Detroit too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.