Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton
  • Profile picture of Oli Peacock

Moto GP

Public Group active 2 weeks, 1 day ago

The group for Moto GP fans.

2013 Moto GP Thread

Tagged: 

This topic contains 82 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Roald Roald 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Fixy
    Participant

By looking at the video, I notice that Gibernau hit Rossi whilst the Italian was almost on the kerb, whilst Lorenzo hit Marquez in the middle of the track. In other words, Gibernau turned in as if Rossi wasn’t there, whilst Lorenzo turned in late and Marquez would have passed hadn’t he braked so late. Rossi was going to keep it on track, Marquez wasn’t.
    By the way, I’m so glad Pedrosa won! Hopefully he can beat Marquez more often than not this year, even because the young Spanish can only get stronger… and he’s already leading the championship!

Roald
    Participant

No matter what you think about his overtaking move – you’ve got to admit Marquez’ aggressiveness is great for the sport.

Calum
    Participant

Quite amazing that in the first three races, and in MotoGP, Moto2 and Moto3 there have been 9 different winners who are all Spanish!

Lorenzo/Marquez/Pedrosa
    Espargaro/Terol/Rabat
    Salom/Rins/Vinales

the_sigman
    Participant

Of the 27 available places on the podium, only 6 have been taken by non-Spaniards. Only Rossi, Kallio, Nakagami and Folger (once) and Redding (twice) have done it.

beneboy
    Participant

Looks like some people think Marc’s move on Sunday was ok:

Dani Pedrosa, Repsol Honda Team

“It’s the final lap, it’s an aggressive move obviously. I guess if they hadn’t touched Marc would run out of track. So it means he was a little too late on the brakes. But you know – they touched in this certain point of the corner. It was kind of similar to turn one at the start in Austin, but I had time to see him coming. Just hope it doesn’t come again in the next ones.”

Colin Edwards, NGM Mobile Forward Racing

“It’s racing motorcycles isn’t it? You know, any time you’ve got this amount of people and you’ve got the passion….and especially Marquez. We’re in Spain! That kind of thing happens around here, it happens anywhere in the world. It doesn’t matter whose side you’re on – take it or leave it – that’s racing motorcycles.”

Andrea Dovizioso, Ducati Team

“I think Marquez was quite aggressive, but I don’t think it was over the limit. But sure we have to just speak in the Safety Commission about that, just to be clear about the rules. I mean, everybody has to know how we can fight. But anyway, it was hard, but I don’t think over the limit.”

Valentino Rossi, Yamaha Factory Racing

“It’s a hard attack for sure, and a hard overtake from Marc. He touched Jorge, but it’s the last lap, the last corner, and sure the guy behind tries something. Jorge kept the door open and Marc went inside, so I think it’s something that can happen in racing. “

Fixy
    Participant

Pedrosa won at Le Mans today ahead of Cruthlow who was not perfectly fit and Marquez who recovered after dropping to 8th on the first lap. Dovizioso was fourth having led for plenty of laps.
    Pedrosa lost the lead twice to Dovizioso, who jumped from 3rd to 1st at the start, first because of a mistake and then because of an overtake by the Italian. The Ducati rider was flawless and couldn’t hold back Crutchlow or Marquez in the final laps to hold onto the podium.
    Lorenzo struggled almost immediately and Rossi even got ahead of him; Rossi then fell and although he got going again with a damaged bike he scored a couple of points.
    Pedrosa has become the first rider to win twice this year and now leads the championship by 6 points on his team mate, who is yet to finish off the podium. This was Pedrosa’s first win at Le Mans and, according to the commentator, his first on a wet track.
    It’s a tough call for rider od the day between Crutchlow and Dovizioso, as the two were possibly the only ones who made no mistakes, and Crutchlow, although he seemed to have a better bike, was not perfectly fit for the race.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Dovi got past Pedrosa because he made two mistakes, and ran wide at the off camber right hander (Turn 4 I think) both times. Marquez made a couple of mistakes as well and both he and Pedrosa were lucky they didn’t fall. Saying that I still think Pedrosa was rider of the day as he was a long way ahead by the finish in difficult conditions.

Dovizioso rode well but Le Mans has always been a good track for Ducati (Rossi came 2nd last year, and Nicky Hayden finished 5th behind Dovi today) and it is a better bike in wet/changeable conditions as well. Crutchlow has a small fracture in his shin, he’s said it doesn’t affect him on the bike and he had a great race, and because Rossi fell he’s now ahead of him in the championship. As for Lorenzo he said in an interview he reckoned he had a dodgy rear tyre, it was either that or he went completely the wrong way on setup because he is a good rider in the wet. Incredibly thats the first race he’s finished outside the top 3 since Indianapolis 2011.

As it was wet in the race its difficult to say but Le Mans has traditionally been a ‘Yamaha track’, and in free practice the Hondas looked at least as quick, and Marquez of course took pole. Pedrosa is a slight favourite now I think as the factory Honda looks a slightly better package than the Yamaha. Marquez is unbelievably quick but in his first season of Moto GP you would have to think he’s going to make a few mistakes at some point, although he’s been pretty sensational so far.

David-A
    Participant

Wow, teammates racing each other without teamorders or radio whining. As an F1 fan, I’ve never seen that before.

Dumb error later on though by Marquez.

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

I was sure that Pedrosa would win today and that Rossi would get on the podium, and I went 0/2 in that regard.

A few things: I’m starting to enjoy Cal Crutchlow a lot, hopefully he can land a role with Suzuki and that they won’t build a crap bike for 2014 if Tech3 is serious about firing him.

But I’m starting to worry that the American talent in the series is going to run totally dry soon. Hayden’s starting to slide down the order. Spies hasn’t raced since Qatar. Edwards is in the retirement age bracket puttering around on a CRT.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Well I think Rossi would have made the podium if he hadn’t been tagged on the first lap, probably fighting with or just ahead of Crutchlow as Lorenzo was too fast today. If you watched the free practices it was pretty obvious Lorenzo was strongest this weekend, he could just do 1 min 48′s lap after lap after lap. Pedrosa I think was in the bottom reaches of the top 6 in every session up until qualifying, he pulled out a quick lap for qualifying but to be honest Marquez even with his multiple crashes had more pace over the weekend in race configuration. Also if Crutchlow goes he won’t be fired, he’s only on a one year deal at the minute.

safeeuropeanhome
    Participant

Lorenzo has broken his left collar bone in a fall in FP2 at Assen. Horrible news for him, continuing his awful run of luck at Assen where’s he’s crashed on the first lap for the last two years. I know motorcycle riders are tougher than the average man on the street, some of the injuries they ride on with really beggar belief in some cases but it is certainly now advantage Pedrosa and Honda.

Update: Lorenzo has been confirmed to be missing the race on Saturday.

David-A
    Participant

So, Rossi won, for the 80th time. Crutchlow on the podium, and almost got 2nd.

Roald
    Participant

Great to see Rossi win again! However, it must be said… he won when Lorenzo was effectively out of contention for the win…

R.J. O’Connell
    Participant

The fact that Lorenzo was able to ride at all two days after having his collarbone welded back together is amazing.

What a win for Valentino Rossi after over 2 years, and what a race overall, terrific.

the_sigman
    Participant

Marquez, the rookie that has won every race in MotoGP since the last message in this thread was posted, has dislocated his shoulder. He still wants to race.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.