• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton
  • Profile picture of Oli Peacock

Moto GP

Public Group active 3 weeks, 6 days ago

The group for Moto GP fans.

Casey Stoner announces retirement

This topic contains 17 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Funkyf1 Funkyf1 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Casey Stoner has announced he will retire from Moto GP at the end of the season:

http://twitter.com/MotoGP/statuses/203140351786094592

The reigning champion and 2007 champion is leading the series at the moment.

The_Pretender
    Participant

That’s really disappointing, he makes Moto GP worth watching simply for the way he manhandles a bike. I wonder if we might see him on 4 wheels some time soon, I seem to remember him testing a V8 Supercar a few years ago. Huge loss to Moto GP though.

Journeyer
    Participant

WHAT?!?! Wow. No wonder Honda is pushing so hard to scrap the rookie rule – they want Marquez to replace Stoner.

David-A
    Participant

If Wikipedia is to be trusted for the first time ever, he’s only 26 years old? So why is he retiring so young?

@David-A He’s a father and a double world champion. He might even take a third this year. He’s probably achieved everything he ever wanted to in racing and has enough money to retire and spend the rest of his life with his family, so that’s probably what he’s going to do.

Fer no.65
    Participant

Odd to see him going so quickly. Though it might pave the way to Pedrosa finally achieving something, if he ever stays up his bike and doesn’t crash out…

Calum
    Participant

No! He’s the only reason I watch MotoGP! I hope he can bow out on a high!

Journeyer
    Participant

@fer-no65 It depends on who replaces Stoner. If Honda can get the rookie rule scrapped, Marc Marquez will take it. But if Dorna can get their way, we may well see Honda reuniting with Valentino Rossi. Neither will be an easy rival for Pedrosa.

Slr
    Participant

Even though I don’t like him, it is a shame to hear about this. At least it is one less competitor for Pedrosa, I’ve been waiting ages to see him win a world championship.

xbx-117
    Participant

This is such a shame. MotoGP has so few riders to begin with, and now we’ll have one less champion in the field.

George
    Participant

I’ll be sad to see him go, as @the_pretender says, he has a brilliant riding style, he’s a bit like the Hamilton of motoGP (great on track, not so great in a press conference). He has been struggling with health problems so it’s not that big of a shock, I guess Simoncelli’s death last year and his new baby made him rethink his career too.

Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

Wow, he’s not pulling his punches either:

I don’t have the passion for it and so at this time it’s better if I retire now.

There are a lot of things that have disappointed me, and also a lot of things I have loved about this sport, but unfortunately the balance has gone in the wrong direction.

And so, basically, we won’t be continuing any more. It would be nice if I could say I would stay one more year, but then where does it stop? So we decided to finish everything as we are now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/motorcycling/9273039/MotoGP-world-champion-Casey-Stoner-will-retire-at-the-end-of-the-season.html

Fixy
    Participant

That’s a real pity. Stoner undoubtedly is a great talent, he could achieve much more in the future if he stays.
    However, I realise MotoGP isn’t a sport for “old” like F1 is, and it’s also much more dangerous. Better quit while still physically fine rather than risking your life every weekend, particularly if you have no longer the passion.
    To be honest I don’t know how someone so young can lose the passion for what he’s been doing all life, right when he reached the pinnacle of the two-wheels motorsport and when he was achieving such great success.
    This however looks like a mature decision by a husband and a father. After all, Gilles Villeneuve was the same but he was stripped of his future life in his family by being in Formula 1. Stoner probably realised his family is more important than racing and that the risk was too high to take, and I admire him for that.

plushpile
    Participant

Stoner probably realised his family is more important than racing and that the risk was too high to take, and I admire him for that.

Apparently it didn’t have a huge baring;
    “Also the birth of my little girl had nothing to do with this. It had a small part in making the decision easier but by no means is it the reason why I made this decision.”
    >http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/99659

It really seems as if he’s just unhappy with the direction MotoGP is taking – closer to Superbikes.
    Will be a big loss for MotoGP.

LawFish
    Participant

?Has he been secretly testing an F1 car? ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.