• Profile picture of Keith Collantine

Group Mods

• Profile picture of Bradley Downton
  • Profile picture of Oli Peacock

Moto GP

Public Group active 4 weeks ago

The group for Moto GP fans.

Technology vs ‘The Show’

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of beneboy beneboy 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keith Collantine
    Keymaster

I don’t follow Moto GP very closesly – I watch enough four-wheeled motorsport, never mind the two-wheeled stuff!

But I have been keeping an eye on their version of the same debate being had in F1 and other series – IndyCar, touring cars and so on – in terms of how to satisfy the multiple goals of controlling costs yet allowing innovation and producing good racing.

Here’s an excellent article by Mat Oxley on that very subject. I’d be interested to hear the views of other F1 Fanatics on how this affects Moto GP, and how the situation compares to F1:

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/motogp/motogps-civil-war-the-final-showdown/

necrodethmortem
    Participant

I think getting rid of traction control, wheelie control and all of that shenanigans would open up a lot of budget. I know, I know, the safety, but I think the best riders in the world are more than capable of controlling their own traction, instead of some 1s and 0s in a piece of silicon.

F1Yankee
    Participant

I think getting rid of traction control, wheelie control and all of that shenanigans would open up a lot of budget. I know, I know, the safety, but I think the best riders in the world are more than capable of controlling their own traction, instead of some 1s and 0s in a piece of silicon.

just my opinion, i’m not even a rider – even with all the gadgets, a motorcycle rider is more integral to the complete package than a driver in a car without driver aides.

raymondu999
    Participant

I personally like tech innovation, but not driver aid. Traction control isn’t an innovation – it’s there to help the driver exploit the maximum potential of his package. As is ABS. Ban the two from motorsport, I say. ESP, ASR too… maybe.

TommyC
    Participant

I actually think most of the tyech innovation is good and it certainly passes down in general to production bikes eventually. The only one not needed it the anti-wheelie in my opinion.

In general a motogp bike’s contact area with the ground is the size of a credit card around a corner, so the skill factor despite any aids is amazing.

beneboy
    Participant

As much as I’d love to see “true” prototypes racing each other the sad reality is that it’s too expensive as the economic problems in Europe and Japan are hitting motorcycle racing in a big way.

If it wasn’t for the CRT teams this years MotoGP grid would have been embarrassingly small and contrary to some predictions the world hasn’t come to an end because some GP bikes are now “glorified superbikes” instead of full prototypes.

I think the main problem I’d have with the proposed changes would be the one bike per rider rule; the teams would still be taking several full bikes worth of spares to each race so why stop them having a spare bike that they can use if they crash in practice & quali and as a wet weather spare for the race ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.